Author Topic: The Assault Gunboat - Unborn  (Read 38814 times)

Offline Deathsnake

• Again there
    • German Wing Commander Site
Re: The Assault Gunboat - Unborn
Very nice. Did it make it into the first release?

Maybe we could make later a X-Wing Remake Campaign :)
Star Citizen No. 250

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
Looking really good!  I'm loving the detail you've been adding to this, and the gap between the wings isn't as noticeable now.  Not sure if it's because you shortened the gap or if it's just the extra squiggly bits that help mask it, but it works.  I've mentioned before that I've never been a fan of the Assault Gunboat, but this is turning into a very good looking ship.

Very nice. Did it make it into the first release?

We're not close enough to release that we're freezing features or content.  There's still time for it to make it into our first release, pending Chief's approval.

As much fun as that would be, there would be some SERIOUS balancing issues if you tried to port the missions directly ship to ship from X-Wing to FotG.  Game mechanics are just that different.  I'd certainly be behind a community project to recreate the X-Wing campaigns in spirit and bring them to life in this mod though.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Yeah, there's no reason not to include a completed ship even if there's no room for it in the campaign.   Gives the community more to play with.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline Hobbie

• It's Hot Drop O'Clock!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam

As much fun as that would be, there would be some SERIOUS balancing issues if you tried to port the missions directly ship to ship from X-Wing to FotG.  Game mechanics are just that different.  I'd certainly be behind a community project to recreate the X-Wing campaigns in spirit and bring them to life in this mod though.

I tried re-making the Redemption Scenario in FS2 (see sig). Turns out it was too easy.
In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
That gunboat isn't what I'm used to, but wow it looks superb regardless  :nod: :yes:
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Looking very nice. Looks nice and solid, I particularly like the forward sweep look of the wings (I know its not actually forward swept but I hope you now what I mean.)
Looking forward to flying this bad-boy.

Id be interested in having a crack at making some TIE Fighter missions as well.  :D
As for balancing I think that's were you use the cool SEXPs and features to give the campaigns a new fresh look i reckon.
Too many ideas.....not enough FREDing time!

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Argh! TIE fighter balance is even worse in some cases, unshielded craft with teeny-tiny hull are insanely difficult to survive in when you've got AI that's much better at aiming than the AI in the original TIE fighter :)

(but I'd still be keen to see a TIE fighter remake ;))
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Gank

Looks pretty good, i like the shape of the wings as well, the cockpit looks a bit off though, maybe thinner?

Argh! TIE fighter balance is even worse in some cases, unshielded craft with teeny-tiny hull are insanely difficult to survive in when you've got AI that's much better at aiming than the AI in the original TIE fighter :)

(but I'd still be keen to see a TIE fighter remake ;))
Well my favourite missions from the early part basically were the assualt gunboat ones particularly taking out the Lulsa.
Can't wait to see the next update  :D

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
Looks pretty good, i like the shape of the wings as well, the cockpit looks a bit off though, maybe thinner?

There has been Significant discussion already about the shape and design of this craft.  Needless to say, the direction that has been approved by Chief (and Brand) is to re-imagine it as a side by side two-seater with strong visual cues from the Lambda shuttle.

Offline Gank

well imo, the strong visual clues from the lambda are a bit too strong in the cockpit area, personally i think it looks more like a shuttle than a fighter/bomber. looks like the pilots have very limited forward view, maybe loose the raised part directly in front of cockpit. Thats just my opinion though

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
I have to admit, I did have a similar feeling when viewing the last render.  But overall it's stellar enough that I wasn't going to say anything.  However, if rhettro is still looking for any constructive criticism, that's about the only one I'd have had to offer at this point.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline rhettro

I still like the original better, but for the purposes of gauging board opinion I've posted two quick and dirty alternates for you to consider. Alt-1 has a narrower cockpit and Alt-2 has a narrower cockpit and missile pods as well as struts on the canopy.

I think once the individual components get narrow then the wings and fins seem a bit out of scale, then they would shrink and the overall "presence" of the ship would diminish.

I like the original more however i do like the canopy struts. If I were to choose between the two alternates I would go Alt-1, narrowing the missile pods doesn't like right to me, seems to take away from the whole heavy hitter look.
I'm finding this model really good to look at and it gets better each time I admire it.
Keep it up

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
Hmm.  I also like the original better, but if I were to go with a variant it would be the first.

Offline Gank

alt-1 gets my vote

Offline Deathsnake

• Again there
    • German Wing Commander Site
Yes, go for ALT-1
Star Citizen No. 250

I'd vote for combining the missile pods from alt-1 with the cockpit struts from alt-2. :)
Audio Converter of Enigma Campaign 2666:
http://enigma.de.to/

German translator of WC: Hostile Frontier:
http://www.ciinet.org/kevin/wchf/

My Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/FekLeyrTarg?feature=mhee

Offline rhettro

This one still gets my vote.

LOL, thanks bobbtmann. Perhaps after I finish my current model I'll go back and develop that design as a stand alone ship.