Author Topic: Re: AT LAST, THE TRUTH: Volition's Answers to the Shivans, Bosch, and Capella  (Read 54726 times)

Offline sigtau

• unfortunate technical art assclown
Re: AT LAST, THE TRUTH: Volition's Answers to the Shivans, Bosch, and Capella
MOD EDIT: The entire interview is archived on the FS wiki here: http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Interview_with_Jason_Scott --The E

:eek2:

That is all I have to say.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 06:35:49 am by The E »
Who uses forum signatures anymore?

Offline Nuclear1

Re: Re: AT LAST, THE TRUTH: Volition's Answers to the Shivans, Bosch, and Capella
So the Shivans were more like...a tool someone created to perform the task of cleansing entire galaxies of biological life and opening new nodes to their homeworld.

And Bosch may very well have been delusional.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
Re: Re: AT LAST, THE TRUTH: Volition's Answers to the Shivans, Bosch, and Capella
Shivans sound more like Reapers than ever and FS3 would be much much more like BP than expected

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
Cool, very cool stuff. As you said, much better than nothing. Big kudos for pulling this off, Battman.
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
This description of the Shivans is very, very satisfying to me. It paints them as rogue von Neumanns - a completely believable hard SF concept.

I admit to some selfish satisfaction at these answers, for obvious reasons.

Offline Nuclear1

BUT WHO CREATED THE SHIVANS?!

DUH DUH DUHHHHHHHHHHHH
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
All aboard the bus to Shivantown!
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline Jessnec

:eek:

All aboard the bus to Shivantown!
-Lets go!

:headz: :headz: :headz: :headz: :headz:

-Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo...
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 08:58:13 pm by Jessnec »
Excuse by my English :P

Offline BrotherBryon

• Resident Lurker
Makes me think that perhaps what Bosch stumbled upon with his Etak device was the means by which the Shivans' creators used to send instructions to their tools. A signal long dormant that when used would have sparked their curiosity, hence boarding and capturing rather than just destroying Bosch and his ship outright. Also makes me wonder just how much free thought these tools are capable of. Would they even have the means to design and build new classes of ships or are they stuck with tirelessly building the same ships their masters designed for them long ago.
Holy Crap. SHIVANS! Tours

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
  • ...and by awesome I mean Jerk!
This interview has got me thinking about going back and playing more of the fan work.  What do you recommend?

Make a 'MustPlay' pack for him and help him install FSO!!!! Least introduce em to mediavps, Silent Threat Reborn, And of course da freakin Blue Planet series!
BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
The Historian is gratified.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
So basically the Shivans are tasked with building the Galactic Autobahn and the GTVA is getting the short stick of eminent domain so they can put in a subspace bypass? 
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Well, well, well.

Most interesting indeed.

So, how does collapsing a star make a jump node? I though nodes required a star's gravity well to exist?
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
So basically the Shivans are tasked with building the Galactic Autobahn and the GTVA is getting the short stick of eminent domain so they can put in a subspace bypass? 

Everyone grab your towel.

Hey, that also indirectly answered my question.

And I love this concept of the Shivans. I wanted them to remain the big bad, and I'm glad Volition had planned to keep it that way.

Offline Luis Dias

Shivans sound more like Reapers than ever and FS3 would be much much more like BP than expected

Come on. Ever since I've seen that clip where Sovereign speaks to Sheppard, I thought to myself, "Now.. where did I see this before? A claw dark monster ship which is only the "vanguard" of a "legion" of warships who have unparalleled powers... who come to human space and fleece everyone without sufficient explanation why.... hmmm"

To me, both FS and ME are mere derivations of the Cthuluh theme, that is, the particular character in them that works so well is precisely that strange, "unknowable", "innefable", inevitable doom that those sweet pets built by Lovecraft almost a hundred years ago. I don't know, but it is clear to me that there's something to that that draws me (and perhaps many more people) a lot. It's the theme of death, of its inevitability, its silence, its madness, its huge scale of power that will always defeat you. And the drawing is the eternal question, "can we beat it?". Funny thing, innit. Even despite knowing so well there's nothing that can defeat death, nevertheless, the question shows itself to be so much actractive, specially when it is covered in metaphors like the "Shivans" or the "Reapers"

Offline Luis Dias

Well, well, well.

Most interesting indeed.

So, how does collapsing a star make a jump node? I though nodes required a star's gravity well to exist?

Ahhh you collapse stars and you get black holes. Cappella has enough mass to get you a nice black hole ;)

Offline Nuclear1

A signal long dormant that when used would have sparked their curiosity, hence boarding and capturing rather than just destroying Bosch and his ship outright.
Alien, you have spoken the Words.  You have spoken them rightly.

Offline Luis Dias

Funny thing. When I wrote my small stupid essay on a possible campaign, I almost hit the jackpot there. First, there would be no "Vishnans" nor any of that crap. There is no god, only death. Shivans are death, we are alone to defeat it, with no cheats, with no help. Second, there would be a rally to Shivanland. Third, Cappella would have been a black hole, and I had envisioned that either Shivans "liked" black holes, or they used them for wormholes.

What I didn't get was that it was bound to be a joint endeavour by Vasudans and Terrans. I always thought that the GTVA after Cappella was completely frustrated and depressed, without any plans to go further into the galaxy to find anything else, terrified of the star-destroyers. So it would take a rebeld to force things through and make the GTVA fight through unimagined architectures of space.

Imagine. Dyson spheres, closely to red dwarf suns, black structures that let reddish corona pass through, giant balloons of gas sucking up power. Black cities of habors, cables joining thousands of sathanas. In the void center, a black hole. Could be Cappella.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I don't think you need to fill up this thread with elaborate descriptions of the same things everybody else has imagined.