Author Topic: 3-23-04 build  (Read 12777 times)

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/blackwater/fs2_open_Bobboau_3-23-04.zip

ok this build should have the bug with beams only generateing particles from one point/from one beam fixed. if you see any other bugs tell me,

also I'm going to post new builds nearly every day untill we get 3.6 out, this is to help kill all the bugs, please test everything and we will get 3.6 out sooner.

I supose I should look into the nebula bugs now
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
I'd still like "-nodiffuse" :)

But thanks for working on the nebula ones ~ I can hardly wait for the next release :nod:
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
so what exactly is wrong with the nebula?
are they in mantis?
if not could someone put them in (useing seperate entries were apropriate) and try getting some screen shots of it
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Shaka

I've play some early mission of Freespace 2 campagn and I did'nt see any bug... and it's seem run alot better than the 0316's release... I've some probs with debriefing voice... don't know if it's normal or not :doubt:

I want test nebula, but the link in "last version of anything" seem broken :wtf:

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Originally posted by Bobboau
so what exactly is wrong with the nebula?
are they in mantis?
if not could someone put them in (useing seperate entries were apropriate) and try getting some screen shots of it

D'you think I should report it to mantis?

Quoting the problems:

(1) Although I had been told the limit in stars.tbl had been bumped to ~150, I found out that FRED2open will still only show as much background images as were permitted in standard FS2.

(2) Now, I had re-included the standard FS2 backgrounds. I started the game only to find out that if any background image that will not show up in FRED is used, the game will crash after loading the mission.

Means:

FRED will have to be updated to show all backgrounds in the dropdown box. FSO will need to be fixed so that it shows all backgrounds within the new limit (~150-160).

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Originally posted by Shaka
I've play some early mission of Freespace 2 campagn and I did'nt see any bug... and it's seem run alot better than the 0316's release... I've some probs with debriefing voice... don't know if it's normal or not :doubt:

I want test nebula, but the link in "last version of anything" seem broken :wtf:

Check directly on my webbie (link in signature) ;)

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I finally got the chance to use this and the 21 build, and found a problem.  Now, even back in the Retail days, I'd occasionally have a problem where a specific texture would go all wierd, usually a nebula background, nebula mesh (full nebula), engine effect, dammage particles, or even just a specific ship texture... usually tiled.  I'll mantis it as soon as I can get some good screencaps.  This bug is also more prevalent in SCP, probably because of the greater system strain.

Anyway, I've found out a few weeks ago, that whenever I get any wierd bug like this, all I have to do is pause the game, alt-tab to destop, and then return to the game and resume, and the specific texture problem will go away... although it may recurr later.  On both the 23 and 21 builds, when I go to return to the game after performing this corrective action, I get an error message telling me that the program created a problem with D3D8.dll and then CTD.  This doesn't happen with the 16_r build.

I'll mantis this one as soon as I get the chance.

Later!
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Didn't get to test test this one much but I'd like to note that the glows for beams are still way too big and that the nebula (the global mission swirling pcx nebula, not the BG ones) is still too bright.

Hmm, another quirk, alt-tabbing out has a higher chance of crashing FS2.
[edit] Hmmm, looks like it was resolved on Mantis. [/edit]

Also, the stuttering is still there, however it feels like it's less now for some reason.  Perhaps it's because I have -pcx32 off now.

It's still there when everything is turned off except htl.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2004, 02:02:22 am by 998 »

in this build there is a moment when everything freezes for a couple of seconds when ships come or go into subspace thats the only bug i have encountered

also thanks my freespace 2 game now runs much faster than the previous builds i have used

Offline Shaka

Originally posted by chris_2xtreme
in this build there is a moment when everything freezes for a couple of seconds when ships come or go into subspace thats the only bug i have encountered

also thanks my freespace 2 game now runs much faster than the previous builds i have used

Agree :D

But memory seem saturate fast and freeze occure... Suppose is the windows xp memory management (I've the same with Morrowind) ... There's is a way to fix that ? :confused:

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
it wasn't resolved in mantis, it was a duplicate bug
(the alt tab thing)
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Roy fokker

• Flaming FREDder
is the decal feature activated in this build?
Roy Fokker
Mission designer for  Inferno and Wing Commander Saga

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
no, and it won't untill after 3.6, if you want to play with it use the environment mapping demo, but we arn't suporting it untill after 3.6 (ie don't report bugs from that build)
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Roy fokker

• Flaming FREDder
Roy Fokker

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Clear your PM box Roy. :D I've been trying to send you a PM for the last couple of days.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Roy fokker

• Flaming FREDder
really hmm.. well i've cleared it now sry about that
Roy Fokker

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Originally posted by Bobboau
it wasn't resolved in mantis, it was a duplicate bug
(the alt tab thing)

Are you sure you read my post properly?  I get the bug described in your -21 and -23 builds, but not in your r_16 build, n'or any build before this.  I also checked the bug you referenced as a duplicate (#21) and the symptoms are different.  In bug21 the description says that the PC completely locks up when attempting to Alt-tab, while mine will give the selected error message when attempting to return to the game FROM the desktop, after Alt-tabbing and will not result in a lockup... it just shuts down the game.  I'm thinking that one of your changes from r_16 to 21+ has is the cause of this.

Later!
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
game crashes after alt-tab,
same bug
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Since you wanted screenshots of the "Nebula is too bright" problem, here they are.

3_23_04 build

3_05_04 build

And I'll get around to putting this stuff all into Mantis a little later.  I'm going to be a bit busy and may not have access to my FS2_open computer.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2004, 01:52:55 am by 998 »

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
that is the same mission right?
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3