Author Topic: fs2_open_Bobboau_5-23-04 index buffers are your lord and master  (Read 5707 times)

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
fs2_open_Bobboau_5-23-04 index buffers are your lord and master
http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/blackwater/fs2_open_Bobboau_5-23-04.zip
I reworked, in a fundemental way, the way in wich FSO renders is't data, people with slower graphics cards (slower AGP slot at least) should see some improvement, I'd like this to be compared to the build I posted recently with the new decal stuff, for general performence, also there should be reasonable improvement for background immages (planets and nebulas) as I reworked that too (though that was in the decal build I think)

I'm interested in performence on lower end cards more so than higher end ones (as higher end ones won't see any diference)
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
Fatal crash on every attempt to run, at seemingly random points, at about 1 minute into running... Each time, it freezes the computer, and when observing the Task Manager, it increases memory used by approx 2000 k per second, untill it either runs out of resources, or i kill main power. Unable to end proscess/proscess tree, and must resort to powering off... Has happened 4 consecutive times, none involving the same actions...

Doesn't happen in any other builds...

Specs:

W2k SP4
450 Mhz
320 MB SD Ram
2048 MB Virtual Ram
e-Geforce 2 mx (64MB PCI)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2004, 07:01:08 pm by 681 »
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
can you even get to the tech room?
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
yes, i can do anything i want, but after a minute or two, doing nothing specific, be it ingame, or in the main hall, it will happen... The two times i got to a mission, (the other times i had it running when i got food, or was talking on ICQ) i dig have about a 50% framerate increase (mission had 2 background planets in view, and 48 TIE fighters + 11 Xwings on screen, all within about 1000m, and lots of lasers/missiles... so the concept works, but not for long... I can run the same mission on every build since Taylor's memory one, but with about only 2/3 of the framerate... (the usual 20-30 fps jumped to 30-50 when i did get in mission, which was twice)...

AHTW

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
oh, that's some good news at least, it's does get the job done, sort of, do you have decals enabled? (in the table)
have you tryed the recent decal build, that was the last thing I did prior to to implementing this, if the problem isn't there I'll make a build with index buffers turned off and see if this realy is the problem. but I'm not sure how it could from your description. it should crash during model loads or on the first frame of rendering a model, not five minutes later.

but first, check your error log, the very last line (under all that hex dump) should give me the last safe point that it passed, just copy and paste it (just the last 1-3 lines of the errorlog.txt (not fs.log)) here
« Last Edit: May 23, 2004, 08:27:01 pm by 57 »
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I updated the zip, found an error in the decal code that might be causeing the crashes, but that would only effect things in game...
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
Code: [Select]
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ADVAPI32.DLL, loaded at 0x7c2d0000 - 387344 bytes - 3ef274dc - file date is 6/19/2003 15:05:04
C:\WINDOWS\system32\KERNEL32.dll, loaded at 0x7c4e0000 - 743184 bytes - 3ef274dc - file date is 6/19/2003 15:05:04

last safe point
last safepoint: D:\FSO\fs2_open\code\decals\decals.cpp, 1538; [entering decal render]

But I'm not using any decals... I'll try the updated one though...

AHTW

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
hmmm, that is _very_ interesting, I've never had it crash there, maybe my code is assumeing that decals are being used...
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

well, i havent been using decals but it does improve performance slightly on my athlon2200xp, radeon9000, 512ram

still the effects are keeping the speed down but its defintely better

i did notice one thing though, i got meself shot by a biiiggg beam cannon and on the screen after, everything was strecthed upwards and left and right of screen had moved inwards
(like widescreen but the other way!)

cant stick an image on cause i have nowhere to put it, sorry

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I know what you'r talking about, we need to get that wides screen thing working corctly
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

horrifdfred : mail it [email protected] if it is below 1 meg. PM me your email too, so I can be sure to save it from the spam folders.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
Originally posted by Bobboau
hmmm, that is _very_ interesting, I've never had it crash there, maybe my code is assumeing that decals are being used...

Is it possible that it isn't dumping anything? Like the memory is just building up endlessly? Cause it was using ludicris amounts...

AHTW

damn, lost the picture at the moment
if i find it i'll mail it, otherwise next time it happens i will!

another thing i was wondering about are these dds textures/planets etc

i cant get them to appear in fs2, and nothing i have will open them

any help? i'm using radeon9000 with catalyst 4.4 and 4.5

TGA and JPG will take precedence over DDS, so i you have a TGA file with the same name somewhere in your VP or in your data dir, it'll use that over the DDS. remove the -jpgtga command line to fix that, or remove the tga or JPG files.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

I had a funny error playing "the place of chariots".
"No polys in the poly list"

PC Specs:
Proc: AMD Duron 600Mhz
SDRAM: 917MB@133Mhz
Video: Geforce4 MX-440 with 128MB

Cmdline: C:\Games\FS2_Open\fs2_open_Bobboau_5-28-04.exe -spec -pcx32 -jpgtga -fps -stats -dnoshowvid  -allslev

I've tried the glowmaps, but the models don't jump out correctly yet.

Also, capital ships, the Psamtik so far, seems to be way heavy to render now. I got a FPS between 10 and 20 when seeing the Psamtik. While seeing the Deimos was of ~25FPS and >= 30 while seeing smaller vessels.

I would think I need a new CPU, but well.. That's beyond my reach for now :(

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
the poly list error is decals, and has been fixed
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline JarC

hmmmm...for some reason I can't use half of the add-on maps with this build...game won't even start complaining it's out of memory...had to chuck out just about every visual enhancement...(regular tga's and shine.tga's)

and Bobboau, a small request...could you please fix the use of the preload screens and the 'you've died' screen in your builds?

I hardly ever get to see the preload screen anymore with your builds, and since the env builds started appearing, the 'you've died' screen is stretched to double height and overlapping the 'cinema' blinds...
« Last Edit: May 31, 2004, 09:43:10 am by 106 »
Use the WiKi Luke
See You @ WIGGY's