Author Topic: the reintegration  (Read 10373 times)

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Fred has been like that with DDS for a while iirc.

2 things come to mind that it 'might' be....

1 : Are you making sure you are saving as DXT5, this is probably the best format to save in, FSO doesn't recognise some of the other formats.

2 : You have something like an Alpha plane on there which is saying the whole texture is transparent?

Flipside :)

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
I'd like to confirm that the subspacenode does not get renderred in this build.  Going to Mantis to check if it's there, now.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
they get rendered, but only if you have a modifyed model, you'll need to make a new one useing textured triangles, I posted a topic in the modding forum for people to make a new one, but to date none has been done (other than the ugly one I did as an example)
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Bobboau, my post about 5s and 6s wasnt in reply to your post directly above, we posted at the same time.

This is what I meant:
6-26 build: CTD after clicking the ready room, before the loading screen appears
6-25 build: Pretty consistent CTD around the Corvette or Cruiser jump out
6-22 build: I've gotten til after the Shivan fleet jumps in, a lil bit after I died.
Another time I played it, I accidentally pissed Command off by hitting a Mjolnier too much, and my punishment was a CTD.

Edit: Stop that!! :p
-C

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Originally posted by Bobboau
they get rendered, but only if you have a modifyed model, you'll need to make a new one useing textured triangles, I posted a topic in the modding forum for people to make a new one, but to date none has been done (other than the ugly one I did as an example)

I made a modified one. Let me double check, though, it may not have a texture.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
oh, ok...
is the update working?

if so I'm going to commit what I have and try to get some of the buffering optomiseations I made reintegrated, then probly the FVF code and the state block code, and then I'll begin reintegrateing decals and environment mapping
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Try this subspace node.

Edit: It's using the standard file that came with FS2 for the texturemap. Subspacenode01a, I believe, but I have an all green one, if that;s needed.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2004, 09:11:04 pm by 273 »

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
that's a good model but the texture used makes it all black

I'm going to commit what I've got and move on
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Ok, I have the texture in a dark green, too. I'll post that too.

ReDownload the original, it has an updated texture file.

Offline Whitelight

• Thing, man like
Originally posted by Flipside
1 : Are you making sure you are saving as DXT5, this is probably the best format to save in, FSO doesn't recognise some of the other formats.
2 : You have something like an Alpha plane on there which is saying the whole texture is transparent?

Flipside :)

In answer to 1. This might seem like a stupid question comming from me, but, do you mean I have to change the extension to DXT5, or that you think I made the maps and this is in the conversion process?  

In answer to 2. The model in question is made up of a series of textures,  4 in total, come to think of it this same model was made with pcx maps at first, then updated with dds.. I managed to lose the pcx maps in a hard drive crash a while ago which sucks but hey, thats the joys of owning a pc .. :D ;)

I can`t take credit for someone elses work, the model in question I downloaded from the startrek conversion for fs2, the spacedock.. I also have 3 other startrek models from the same site.. Sorta a mix of B5, Startrek and a few Inferno models.. I`m not making a campaign just something to keep my mind occupied from R/L.. That must be a new one to hear of, keeping the mind occupied from real life :D

(edit) working 10 hour days 5 days a week has paid off but leaves little time for all the pleasures life can bring, live long and prosper FS2. :nod:
« Last Edit: June 27, 2004, 10:55:31 pm by 695 »
Simpicity of character is the natural resualt of profound thought

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
Originally posted by TopAce
Don't try Derelict missions. They were even unstable with normal FreeSpace. It is no surprise for me that FSO crashes to desktop too many times with Derelict missions.

It didn't crash THAT often. You were probably just unlucky.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
For the record, I just tested it there because that's the mission I was on.
-C

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
small bug bob.
Your build keeps on trying to play the movie files even though the option to not play them has been checked in the launcher. The initial movie doesn't play and it loads, but I think later during the main campaign it continues to try and play the cutscenes (bosch monologue one) and CTDs before even trying to load the mission. This didn't happen with WMCoolmon's build.

BUT, what did happen with WMCoolmon's build was that it CTD while trying to load the Colossus cutscene. Or maybe something else happened, either way it crashed after the mission seemed complete - the one where the colossus first arrives, so it might be trying to load it. This shouldn't happen at all.

Maybe that's one of the problems? :/
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

FS2 has (almost) never run this smoothly for me. I have no crashes, no stutters, and half the loading time for missions.

One thing, though, that I cant decide if its better or worse, are the framerates. Last build, I got a solid fps of 60-70. With this build, im getting fps in the 30-120 range.
Carpe Diem Poste Crastinus

"When life gives you lemons...
Blind people with them..."

"Yah, dude, penises rock." Turambar

FUKOOOOV!

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
new build, compare with the last one in missions with complex backgrounds (don't target debris, bug no time to hunt down right now)

http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/blackwater/fs2_open_Bobboau_6-29-04.zip
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
I thought the CTD at targeting debris/asteroids had been fixed in 3.6.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Originally posted by TopAce
I thought the CTD at targeting debris/asteroids had been fixed in 3.6.

That's what I thought as well. Been targetting a lot of debris and asteroids in when playing through Derelict using 3.6 and no CTDs.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I didn't say anything about CTD, I reworked the way backgrounds are rendered, but something weird happens when you targetdebris.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
ehh... people come on, that build was buggier than a corpse that's been sitting out for 2 weeks, I had the whole system screwed up

please test this one...
I'm very sure I've got it rendering corectly now (backgrounds)
test an compare with the first build posted in this thread
http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/blackwater/fs2_open_Bobboau_6-30-04.zip
oops wrong link
« Last Edit: June 30, 2004, 01:33:39 am by 57 »
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
the 29 build runs smoother than a baby's bottom (however smooth that is) :yes:

I'll give the 30 build a try :)
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(