Author Topic: reintegration: environment mapping  (Read 10644 times)

reintegration: environment mapping
The ships.tbl of the Renegade-Campaign seems ok. The "missing" ship is definetly there. I tried to add the model (pof) name to the tbl, but nevertheless the mod didn´t start. Just for Info, maybe it´s useful.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
I tried another memory tracker (mmreg) and it found nothing wrong.
-C

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
im not really having many problems with memory leaks. sometimes after a crach the debugger starts eating up memory. that might explain your memory loss.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline WMCoolmon

No, I've watched this and the pattern seems pretty specific. Something is being allocated during the mission, but not UNallocated after the mission is, but IS unallocated when Freespace closes.

It could be during the mission, it could be while it's loading.
-C

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
it sounds like freespace isnt freeing up all the stuff after mission. but im not a true coder so what i says doesnt mean s*** :D

*edit

ships in the tech room apear with an envoronment map only after youve been through a mission.  it might just be keeping the skybox in memory. all my skyboxers are several megs in size. does that count for the lost memory?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2004, 03:45:40 am by 766 »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline WMCoolmon

That's EXACTLY what I'm saying. :p

There aren't any memory leaks after Freespace 2 closes, but there ARE big increases in the memory it takes up while it's running.
-C

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
you might run the same mission a few times, just to see if it keeps sucking memory each time the mission loads. freespace just might be keeping stuff in memory just incase it needs it again.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline WMCoolmon

That's exactly what I did; I opened FS2 (debug) in windowed mode, along with the Win2k task manager. Loaded the mission, exited, loaded it again.

What happened with memory usage was that after I closed the mission, it remained the same. When I started the mission, it would go back down (partially, IIRC) to what it was before, then just before it finished loading it would spike back up to about 100 MB more than before.

It seems erratic at best, but on one day I was getting an average of 3 missions before FS2 crashed. (CTD)
-C

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
This from the dumbass n00b wannabe coder, but it seems like the best way to make this go away is to explicitly unload everything mission related after every mission.  It'd probably hose load times but that's the easiest, if inelegant solution.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Uhm, WM? Bob implemented skyboxes and stuff for the env maps, but IIRC, he meant it to stay in mem for techroom stuff. Perhaps he is keeping all of them in mem, not just the alst one?
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
the texture that the environment map is always there, I do not clear it after mission, it makes no diference on how much memory is used
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline WMCoolmon

This isn't Bob-specific, this seems to have been a problem since 3.6. (Mem leak)

This deseres its own thread...
-C

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
can the env map textures be animated? i want to try and make a subspace skybox with animated textures but i dont know if it would cause a shimering effect on the ship.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
As far as I know they can be animated.
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
they could be animated, but I turned that off, becase it was slowing things down unnesisaraly for some people, with the exeption of subspace environment maps are not animated
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
So what will happen if I use an animated skybox ?
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
the environment map will represent the first frame, it's not at all visable as long as you don't have anything overly dramatic in terms of animation.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
im thinking about replacing the textures on the subspace tunnel with the invisible texture, then put in a skybox with animated textues.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
that'll work, if the mission is in subspacethen the env map is dynamic
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
cool! ill work on that on my next day off.

Nuke's Scripting SVN