Author Topic: 20040822 build - *includes pilot changes*  (Read 16073 times)

Offline terren

20040822 build - *includes pilot changes*
As I was playing through the main campain I encountered a problem with the mission "A game of TAG" namely, anytime I try to exit the mission in anyway it crashes,  so far I have tried the following ways of leaving the mission.  Jumping out at the end, jumping out at the begining, quickstart after death, return to briefing after death, returning to mainhall after death, quickstart from the Esc menu, exit from the Esc menu, and Shift-Esc (checked the errorlog, it crashed) I've tryed this in both OGL and D3D using 640*480 and 1024*768 in 32 color  the only difrence between the two modes is that OGL gives me an error popup, and D3D is a clean CTD.  Here is the Errorlog section and my system stats, if you need more info just ask.  

fs2_open_T-20040822 caused an Access Violation in module ntdll.dll at 001b:77f51d24.
Exception handler called in Freespace 2 Main Thread.
Error occurred at 9/25/2004 17:42:40.
C:\Games\FreeSpace2\fs2_open_T-20040822.exe, run by Terrenblade.
2 processor(s), type 586.
1023 MBytes physical memory.
Write to location 6565732d caused an access violation.

P4 3Ghz
Windows XP sp1
Geforce FX 5700
    128M ram
    driver version: 6.14.0010.5672
Hope you find a solution soon, I realy like this build
Proud user of wings 3-D

Mad? Oh yes quite mad.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
The crash at the end of mission is a known problem.  It affects one other mission as well.  This is a weird bug that only happens on Windows so it's harder for me to come up with a really good solution that works 100% on Windows, Linux and OSX.  I do have an idea though and I'm going to try and update this build with the fix and a couple of new things as well sometime next week.   This new build will have the pilot file fixes, the final IBX code and some OGL related changes/fixes.

I'm a bit preoccupied trying to get a new FRED2 build out in the wild at the moment to get to it now so if you can wait till next week I'm sure all of the people demanding a new FRED2 will be thankful :)  ... And the people I promised to deliver source code to, and those memory leak patches, plus anyone who's looking forward to <CLASSIFIED>... plus the OGL specmapping code, new rendering stuff that doesn't crash with VBO, true antialiased lines in OGL without requiring full AA, original jump nodes back, new Linux build for x86 and x86_64, new OSX build plus source with XCode project for Goober5000, final test of cross platform network changes, OGG Vorbis support if no one else finishes it, streaming audio in Linux/OSX, more work on SCP Lite, and getting stuff in CVS.  I should be done in no time! :shaking:
:D

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
sweet
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline terren

is there a fix or a workaround?  I'm realy enjoying playing through the orignal campain with the new weapons tables and shine/glow maps.
Proud user of wings 3-D

Mad? Oh yes quite mad.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Originally posted by terren
is there a fix or a workaround?  I'm realy enjoying playing through the orignal campain with the new weapons tables and shine/glow maps.

What's supposed to work is to turn off the talking head box in the hud config screen.  OSX users reported this as a fix when they suffered the exact same problem but someone already said it didn't help on Windows.  The new way I did the code fixed the OSX problem with the same crash on the same mission so Windows is basically just being a pain in the a$$.  If you turn talking heads off and it works for you then please report it here so everyone else will know.

The code in question is there to fix a memory leak that has probably existed since the original release of FS1.  That leak is not small, averaging between 5 and 10 Meg per mission, so it's worth the effort to get it working right without crashing.  The problem is that it's trying to access invalid data for some reason.  It does check to make sure it's valid before proceeding through the code but it passes the check on Windows in certain (unknown) situations even though it's invalid.

Offline terren

It crashes regardless, on the outher hand I managed to Isolate the Corrupt on load bug, I'll put the details in the proper thread.  A commandline quickfix would be acceptable, 5-10 megs is not that much of a problem for people who just play one or two missions anyway.  Goodluck finding the problem.
Proud user of wings 3-D

Mad? Oh yes quite mad.

Offline Rol

hi
i test the build but now i get the error
Could not load in 2_mainscreen-M an crash
in EVERY build even if i delete the the files coming with this build
could someone help me?

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Originally posted by Rol
hi
i test the build but now i get the error
Could not load in 2_mainscreen-M an crash
in EVERY build even if i delete the the files coming with this build
could someone help me?

What VPs do you have installed?  It sounds like something got deleted or moved that's part of the main game.  Does the original FS2 binary still work?

Offline Rol

i have the hi effects vps installed
can it be someting from the "Sol a history" campaing? i only deleted the missions and rename the inferno vp?

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Originally posted by Rol
i have the hi effects vps installed
can it be someting from the "Sol a history" campaing? i only deleted the missions and rename the inferno vp?

Could be a tbl hanging around.  Check in the data\tables\ folder and see if there are any *.tbl files.  Move them out of the way if there are some present and see if that makes a difference.