Author Topic: 3.6.9 Release Candidate 5  (Read 42643 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: 3.6.9 Release Candidate 5
Inferno no longer breaks multiplayer. You can play FS2_Open online using an Inferno build. You will however break your pilot file if you ever try to go back to a non-Inferno build. That's why the pilot changes are needed.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Zacam

• Magnificent Bastard
  • Administrator
  • I go Sledge-O-Matic on Spammers
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • ModDB Feature
So, the pilot changes would see the going away of a standard and an inferno build then? Or would they still be seperate but more/completely compatible?
Report MediaVP issues, now on the MediaVP Mantis! Read all about it Here!
Talk with the community on Discord
"If you can keep a level head in all this confusion, you just don't understand the situation"

¤[D+¬>

[08/01 16:53:11] <sigtau> EveningTea: I have decided that I am a 32-bit registerkin.  Pronouns are eax, ebx, ecx, edx.
[08/01 16:53:31] <EveningTea> dhauidahh
[08/01 16:53:32] <EveningTea> sak
[08/01 16:53:40] * EveningTea froths at the mouth
[08/01 16:53:40] <sigtau> i broke him, boys

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
It should hopefully get rid of the Inferno build.

Offline RoniXt

Isn't it about time for a new Release Candidate?
I've been avoiding RC5 because of the shield bug, and I haven't bothered downloading a CVS build since RC1 came out.  Is the next Release Candidate pretty much going to be whatever's in CVS right now?

Offline ZmaN

how come my shields wont recharge?  I have the 3.6.9 RC5 Installed with the 3.6.8 Zeta Vps and the extra files required for it and the alpha patches.

Why dont they recharge???
Well what do I do now?  Well Jack, you seem to have an act for blowing things up....

www.underoath777.com  <---  The BEST BAND EVER!

My Rig:
NZXT Apollo Case, with the insides painted black, and refinished side panels
Cooler Master Real Power Pro 750 watt PSU
Intel Xeon E3110 (e8400) OC'd to 3.6ghz
Xigmatek S1283 HDT Cooler
Biostar TPower I45 Motherboard
2 x 2GB's Crucial Ballistx DDR2-800 RAM
XFX Geforce 8800GTX GPU
Onboard sound
3 x 36GB Raptors in RAID 0
1 x Western Digital 640GB stand-alone

Matthew 1:1-2  In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.  He was with God in the beginning.

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Did you actually read this thread? New 3.6.9 build is already there, multi_test or the light_test builds
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline RoniXt

Did you actually read this thread? New 3.6.9 build is already there, multi_test or the light_test builds
That still doesn't address my point in saying that I think we need an official RC6
Updated builds in the middle of threads are too easy to ignore, and I could probably also achieve the same effect from downloading from CVS, no?

The point of having an official RC6 would be to have one standard build that we know everyone is testing.

How many RC's we gonna have before 3.6.9 official is released? I don't remember this happening for 3.6.8
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
That still doesn't address my point in saying that I think we need an official RC6
Updated builds in the middle of threads are too easy to ignore, and I could probably also achieve the same effect from downloading from CVS, no?
It hasn't been time for RC6, too many little fixes have been going on and we don't want to release a dozen RC builds.  Either use the light_test build, use RC5, or wait for the official RC6 build.  There is not ETA for it though, just when it's ready.

The code that the RC builds are made with and the that the CVS builds are made with is NOT the same.  The RC builds are coming from a stable code branch, the CVS builds are from the unstable code branch.  All bug fixing effort is focused on the stable branch right now so you aren't likely to get any help with problems you have on normal CVS builds until after 3.6.9 is officially released.  Use standard CVS at your own risk.

How many RC's we gonna have before 3.6.9 official is released? I don't remember this happening for 3.6.8
There was no 3.6.8, we skipped it.  For 3.6.7 I think that there were about 7 or 8 test builds before release.  We were just a lot less organized about it then than we are now.

And there will be at least one more RC build for 3.6.9, when we're ready to release it.  3.6.9 official will also be released when it's ready.  There is still a lot of work going on behind the scenes.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
The code that the RC builds are made with and the that the CVS builds are made with is NOT the same.  The RC builds are coming from a stable code branch, the CVS builds are from the unstable code branch.  All bug fixing effort is focused on the stable branch right now so you aren't likely to get any help with problems you have on normal CVS builds until after 3.6.9 is officially released.  Use standard CVS at your own risk.

Yep. There are only a few good reasons to use a CVS at the moment.

1) You're developing a campaign which needs an Inferno build.
2) You're developing a campaign which uses the enhanced Team Loadout options (I can dream that someone is using it surely! :) )
3) You're developing a campaign which uses WMCs new limbo code
4) You've had a problem with Taylor's light test build and you want to see if the same problem exists in CVS so the coders have more info to resolve it

That's pretty much it. I wouldn't use CVS for anything else. I certainly wouldn't use it as the standard build I use when playing FS2.

There was no 3.6.8, we skipped it.  For 3.6.7 I think that there were about 7 or 8 test builds before release.  We were just a lot less organized about it then than we are now.

And we paid the price as a result. 3.6.7 was current for about all of a month and then we were telling everyone to upgrade to CVS builds to solve problems with dual core CPUs and then a whole host of other problems. The idea is to not have that happen this time. 3.6.9 should be stable when you get it. we may end up having to release a 3.6.9.1 build if we find a major flaw but you should never have to download a CVS build to solve a problem (except possibly as a temporary fix).

The only people who should be using CVS from now on are mod devlopers and bug testers. You should never see someone with one or two posts being told to get a CVS build again with luck. :)

And there will be at least one more RC build for 3.6.9, when we're ready to release it.  3.6.9 official will also be released when it's ready.  There is still a lot of work going on behind the scenes.

Yep. It's not as if we're sitting on our hands. Taking a quick look at the commit logs I see about 20 different commits for the last week alone. That means at least 20 different bug fixes and improvements. We don't want to delay the release of 3.6.9 any more than we have to but the quality of the code is improving with every day we make you wait so the end result will be worth it :)

Offline redmenace

CVS builds are also important as they allow me and anyone else to track when bugs were introduced into CVS. This can simplify bug hunting and allow up to pinpoint exact commits that might have broken something.
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Yeah. I meant to write that as part of reason 4 but got distracted :)

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
upcoming RC6 will have various autopilot fixes in it
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
**cough** please fix the bug with the 3rd primary also. It's vital for us :) **cough**
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline ZmaN

PLEASE!!  I cant get my shields to recharge...

Someone directed me to this thread but I dont see anything to fix the problem!

I'm using 5.4.1 Launcher, 3.6.8 Zeta VPs, etc etc etc...
Well what do I do now?  Well Jack, you seem to have an act for blowing things up....

My Rig:
XFX Geforce 8800GTX GPU
Onboard sound

Matthew 1:1-2  In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.  He was with God in the beginning.

Offline redmenace

the speech system needs to be fixed. It plays regaurdless of their being a wav file or not.
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
**cough** please fix the bug with the 3rd primary also. It's vital for us :) **cough**
You'll have to bug someone with access to the data though, or provide some basic mission/data for us to test with.  I don't know how many devs actually have access to your betas, I just know that I'm not one of them.  Makes fixing this sort of bug rather difficult.  :)

the speech system needs to be fixed. It plays regaurdless of their being a wav file or not.
That one deffinitely needs to be in Mantis.  I don't have the ability to actually test/replicate this so it's not something that I can fix, but I'm sure that either Goober5000 or karajorma might take a crack at it.

Offline ZmaN

My Rig:
XFX Geforce 8800GTX GPU
Onboard sound

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
light, it's newer.