Author Topic: 2007-08-15 stable branch  (Read 12449 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
2007-08-15 stable branch
Notable changes:
1) Windows key disabled in-game
2) Arrival cue crash fixed
3) A few other things I forget
http://fs2source.warpcore.org/exes/latest/20070815-Goober5000.7z

Re: 2007-08-15 stable branch
1) Windows key disabled in-game

Cool, now I don't have to use This program anymore!

Anyway, YEAH new CVS build... downloading now (as usual)

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
3) A few other things I forget
http://fs2source.warpcore.org/exes/latest/20070815-Goober5000.7z

Like 100 ships limit removed? (it might have been included in the earlier builds, but since they crashed on setting arrival cue, I wouldn't know) :)

Works like a charm.
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
a couple of things I noticed:

- massive slowdowns in windows when alt-tabbing to desktop
- engine glows do not work on some ships
- our autopilot template sometimes does not work properly (is related to the autopilot code - some ships simply hover in space instead of followg their course to the next nav)

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Yep.  Not really going to be fixed.  Basically, just don't do it. :)

Does it do that with my newest Xt build?  If not then it is probably just something still missing from CVS that I can't commit yet.  If it doesn't work with the Xt build either then point me a the ship/mission in question and I'll have a look when I get the chance.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Yep.  Not really going to be fixed.  Basically, just don't do it. :)

It works with your Xt builds, it is only this one I have this problem with.

Does it do that with my newest Xt build?  If not then it is probably just something still missing from CVS that I can't commit yet.  If it doesn't work with the Xt build either then point me a the ship/mission in question and I'll have a look when I get the chance.

Where do I get it? Latest build I used was XT615 and it was fantastic.

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
It works with your Xt builds, it is only this one I have this problem with.
Hmm, maybe it's something else that's missing.  Maybe.  Almost all of the stuff in left in my Xt build tree is all interconnected, so I can't really commit the stuff that's ready since it depends on the stuff that's not.  I should be able to catch up with it all next month though.

Where do I get it? Latest build I used was XT615 and it was fantastic.
Xt615 is the newest (posted anyway).  The ones newer than that were just to address specific issues with some "secret" code and didn't have any other changes.  It will be about 2 weeks before I post a new build, but it's going to be a pretty damn good build. :)

But, if it works in Xt615 then it's most likely just part of a change that I can't commit yet.  For not just don't worry about it and assume that I'll get it fixed properly with my next series of commits, whenever that will be.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
I think I know now what has been causing autopilot problems: it is the new "feature" - autopilot blocks if you are too near an asteroid/debris field. The thing is: our autopilot template teleports the player to a position right in the middle between two nav points before engaging autopilot. Still, it seems that only the point where autopilot has been activated counts: sometimes all ships except the player stay still, sometimes some of them follow their route others do not. Can this be made optional or disabled completely?

-WC Saga's beta tester

I feel like I am the only non-important person around here.

So I am going to bother you with a qeustion: Xt builds?

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Builds from my experiment tech tree.  Essentially, it's to take full advantage of my ability to work on dozens of things at the time in order to rapidly develop new features/fixes/capabilities.  I basically just concentrate on a single set of changes at a time, but I switch between a handful of them throughout the day.  When I encounter a problem or slowdown I will move to different bit of code, and work out that problem in my head while I do other things.  Once I have it figured out, which could be days or even weeks later, I'll come back to that code.  It's a bit crazy to be sure, but I work far more efficiently that way.

Xt builds are based on the stable branch, which I then hack the ever living crap out of.  None of the changes are experimental in the traditional sense, it's just that it's a bunch of "in-progress" changes.  Normally I would mature those features to a very stable state before putting test builds out, and then test those changes only 1 or 2 at the time.  My Xt builds are an attempt to get input and comments from people earlier in the development stage so that the delay in getting those new features into officials is significantly reduced.  So, everything in the current Xt build set is intended for inclusion in 3.6.10.  Once 3.6.10 is out, my Xt builds would be for 3.6.11-only changes.

Builds from my experiment tech tree.  Essentially, it's to take full advantage of my ability to work on dozens of things at the time in order to rapidly develop new features/fixes/capabilities.  I basically just concentrate on a single set of changes at a time, but I switch between a handful of them throughout the day.  When I encounter a problem or slowdown I will move to different bit of code, and work out that problem in my head while I do other things.  Once I have it figured out, which could be days or even weeks later, I'll come back to that code.  It's a bit crazy to be sure, but I work far more efficiently that way.

Xt builds are based on the stable branch, which I then hack the ever living crap out of.  None of the changes are experimental in the traditional sense, it's just that it's a bunch of "in-progress" changes.  Normally I would mature those features to a very stable state before putting test builds out, and then test those changes only 1 or 2 at the time.  My Xt builds are an attempt to get input and comments from people earlier in the development stage so that the delay in getting those new features into officials is significantly reduced.  So, everything in the current Xt build set is intended for inclusion in 3.6.10.  Once 3.6.10 is out, my Xt builds would be for 3.6.11-only changes.

Thanks for the info.. the only thing missing is.. .a link!

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
I do not have the authority to post the link here. It is up to taylor to decide who should have access the Xt builds. :)

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Thanks for the info.. the only thing missing is.. .a link!
I don't post links to them, except it extreme cases.  Stability between Xt builds does not have any sort of guarantee.  One build can be absolute crap, the next one can be a dream, and the one after than could be crap again.  New features come and go, or otherwise change.  Builds are knowingly released with bugs, sometimes big ones.  I also don't generally respond to, or care about, bug reports from them.  Basically, with the Xt builds you are pretty much on your own.

That's why I don't post links to the builds, to keep the more casual users away from them.  Those people who have been around for a while, or are simply "in the know", will figure out pretty easily where to find the builds.  I don't hide them, I just don't advertise them. :)

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Taylor, just a suggestion regarding your XT builds.  You may want to consider including a brief txt file with them, identifying what feature, bugfix, or tweak you're attempting to test out.  That way, those of us who KNOW where to find them but aren't necessarily told about them, can test them out and provide feedback regarding the changes made.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Taylor, just a suggestion regarding your XT builds.  You may want to consider including a brief txt file with them, identifying what feature, bugfix, or tweak you're attempting to test out.  That way, those of us who KNOW where to find them but aren't necessarily told about them, can test them out and provide feedback regarding the changes made.
The features and tweaks are pretty much all by request.  In other words, for specific people or mods.  So, really, the person who requested the feature is the one that tests it out.  It also means that most/all of the features are generally secret and only a select few people are meant to know about them.

DaBrain is really the only person that is aware of all of the changes in the build, and that's mainly because he requested or otherwise initiated them.  Most of the tweaks have been made specifically to address concerns expressed by DaBrain and Vasudan Admiral.  These are things like bugs in multi-pass blending, problems with envmap and/or specmap blending, lighting issues, memory usage issues, texture filtering changes, etc.  Changes to the lab come from ideas expressed by numerous people, including myself, but there is nothing really secret about that, since it's pretty much all in-your-face stuff.

That's really the point of the Xt builds though, to test out a LOT of features that exist in a state of flux.  One build to the next could see anything from a small tweak, to a complete rewrite of a feature.  Getting too much input actually hurts the process, which is why only those people directly involved with the development of that particular feature know about it.  Once things stabilize they will be included with more stable/finalized builds for everyone to test with and find any remaining bugs.  And since most of the new feature changes deal with new content, that also gives the artists and mod/model makers plenty time to get their new data ready for testing as well.

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
sometimes (or rather in some missions) the targeting key ('T') does not work.

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
sometimes (or rather in some missions) the targeting key ('T') does not work.

as noted in mantis, this bug is related to radar-set-max-range sexp and targetable targets, which are out of range.

-WC Saga's beta tester

Offline wdarkk

Is this the build you mentioned that might/might not fix the x1600xt and x1900xt issues? Or is that a different one?

EDIT: Whoops, that was taylor, not you.

Same thing I wanted to ask :-). I've been checking the forum every now and then in the hopes I will be able to play fs2open on my mbp. All your efforts are much appreciated! :D

Anyway, from what I've read, the 3.6.10 build is just around the corner. Or maybe apple will include decent drivers for the ati gfx card in leopard  ;7

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
I am using a Radeon 1900 XTX card myself and I have not experienced any issues.

-WC Saga's beta tester