Author Topic: C05252008CAM - Trunk + Camera code  (Read 10360 times)

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
C05252008CAM - Trunk + Camera code
Finally...after months of waiting...I have merged the updated camera code into the stable branch.

Basically, this means the cameras should work now. :p

===A more detailed explanation -

Camera movement is now handled by the AVD Physics system. This stands for Acceleration, constant Velocity, Deceleration. This means that the camera can, in any axis of movement, accelerate up to a speed, maintain that speed, and then decelerate. The system itself supports decelerating to another constant velocity, but this hasn't been extended into the scripting system (It shouldn't require too much effort). This means a graph of a camera's position/velocity will look something like this:

===Camera features:
Internally, the camera supports custom orientation and position functions, as well as 'locking' the camera onto an object's submodel and/or locking it to face another object's submodel. The custom orientation/position functions have not been extended to scripting yet.

Valid axis of movement are: X, Y, Z, pitch, roll, bank, FOV.
Valid things to 'mount' camera on: Object, object submodel
Valid things to point camera at: Object, object submodel
Other ways to influence position/orientation: Custom position function, Custom orientation function

I recommend generating a scripting.html, as the new system will add ~a dozen entries.

===More interesting things
The core FS2_Open camera functions have been subverted to give you control over the camera. If you start up a mission, you'll see a camera called "Main camera" - this represents the camera that FS2_Open uses for the player view. You may also see the "SEXP Camera", "Dead Camera", "Player Camera", or "Nav Camera" (Autopilot).

The position/orientation function currently give the final calculated values; I'll probably switch this to the local pre-object-lock values pending more thought.

===The Build:
http://fs2source.warpcore.org/exes/latest/C05252008CAM.zip

===Afterword:
WOOHOO! IT'S FINALLY IN! :D :D :D
-C

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
Re: C05252008CAM - Trunk + Camera code
Hell yes.

What exactly does this mean, and how does one control these cameras? New SEXPs? Or what?

Offline WMCoolmon

http://wmc.freespacemods.net/repository/vod.vp

And turn off motion debris, it ruins the effect. :p

EDIT: I should've mentioned, to use this, just drop it in your FS2_Open folder (or mod folder) and run it with the mediaVPs (or without). Then run "Valley of Darkness" from the tech room mission simulator.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 08:26:01 pm by WMCoolmon »
-C

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
EDIT: had a linker error but that got fixed
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 04:27:23 am by Wanderer »
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline WMCoolmon

None of this stuff has been committed to SVN yet. Nothing past the first build I posted on the 25th, C05252008, has actually been committed. However, I'm pretty comfortable with this stuff as most of what I've done should make it impossible/extremely unlikely for null pointer errors to occur, or OOB array indexing, etc, it's the overlooked details or unintentional bizarre side effects that I'm mostly concerned about.
-C

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Ah... i thought your recent commit already had this stuff...
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

hi guys and very nice work WMCoolmon, is my first post here and i found this game some days ago  :D however i put the vod.vp file in a folder "valleyofdarkness" and i load the mod in the launcher, in game when i set the mission in tech room, the game begin but after the end of the introduction come back in the main room do you know why?
thx

Offline WMCoolmon

It's just an introduction, which showcases the subtitles, and camera rotation and translation SEXPs (more of a test than anything, really). It was originally going to be the intro to a mission leading up to the mission where you defend the Bastion at the end of Freespace 2, but I never finished it and I'm not planning on picking it back up.
-C

It's just an introduction, which showcases the subtitles, and camera rotation and translation SEXPs (more of a test than anything, really). It was originally going to be the intro to a mission leading up to the mission where you defend the Bastion at the end of Freespace 2, but I never finished it and I'm not planning on picking it back up.
i'm sorry i don't understood what the modification was

Offline CaptJosh

It's a tech demo of some stuff to make it easier to do cutscenes via the game engine, rather than having to render them.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.