Author Topic: GTM Hippocrates WIP  (Read 80903 times)

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
It's actually surprisingly accurate to the old model. But yeah, some more windows where the old one had them could be nice. I believe this could be done by altering the textures, without mesh changes.

Offline fightermedic

• quite a nice guy, no really, i am
baked the glowmap (and changed the window, due to you naggin' complainers)
it took over 2 days of pure render time... crazy!
>>Fully functional cockpits for Freespace<<
>>Ships created by me<<
Campaigns revised/voice-acted by me:
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,
Pandora's Box 2.2, Deep Blood

Other Campaigns I have participated in:
The Antagonist, Warzone, Phantoms & Echo-Gate

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

Offline fightermedic

huuuum... first in engine look...
sadly it looks a lot worse than in blender :/
>>Ships created by me<<
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Looks great to me, what's the issue?
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
sadly it looks a lot worse than in blender :/
Really o__O?

Uh... It looks great anyway :D!
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline fightermedic

the problem is that the pbr shader as it currently works just makes everything look completely different than it did in blender, that is a real problem on all the metallic parts, they are just looking wrong - somehow i just can't make this stuff to look as i want it to in the engine
and the lack of AO maps so far is not helping either, for now i will try to make a non PBR version, which is needed anyway - let's see how it turns out, i guess it is still an big improvement over the old Hippo model :P
>>Ships created by me<<

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Every time someone mentions PBR I think of this terrible, terrible beer.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Every time someone mentions PBR I think of this terrible, terrible beer.
Incidentally, that was the original name of the PBR branch over on github :P

Offline DahBlount

• Alpine ☆ Cancer Tribulation
    • Minecraft
the problem is that the pbr shader as it currently works just makes everything look completely different than it did in blender, that is a real problem on all the metallic parts, they are just looking wrong - somehow i just can't make this stuff to look as i want it to in the engine
and the lack of AO maps so far is not helping either, for now i will try to make a non PBR version, which is needed anyway - let's see how it turns out, i guess it is still an big improvement over the old Hippo model :P

That's probably because the maps you designed are either A) not calibrated for PBR at all or B) you used the baseline settings of Cycles to render the maps, which works using a method very similar to Arnold PBR, not the Blinn-Phong Specular + Gloss method used by FSO.
<Axem> yet still more insightful than #hard-light

<Axem> jad2.23 will just be cat videos

<DahBlount> So
<DahBlount> JAD2.2 is like that
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> it can be whatever you like!
<DahBlount> A Chocolate Sundae?
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus

Offline fightermedic

the problem is that the pbr shader right now has waaaaay to high minimum shine levels, which makes this quite rough surfaced ship still look much too shiny at parts that should be very mat, and too dark at places that should still have some diffuse light - it feels like the min rough value was something like 0.4 rather than 0, and everything above 0.5 is a total mirror, while in blender a roughess value of 0.8 would still be quite mat for example

i have converted my pbr textures to the old style textures, and here they look fine :)
(if i use these converted textures in the pbr build, they ALSO are too shiny btw, so it is really a general problem with the new renderer, well, it's work in progress after all :P )

non pbr build screens:

« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 06:36:46 am by fightermedic »
>>Ships created by me<<

Offline DahBlount

• Minecraft
Well, perhaps you could try inverting the colors of your -reflect map. Blender exports gloss as a direct roughness profile where 0.0 is perfectly reflective and 1.0 is non-reflective. In FSO, 0.0 is non-reflective and 1.0 is perfectly reflective. That is to say, white yields smooth relfections in FSO, but rough reflections in Blender, with Black being the reverse.

<DahBlount> So
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus

Offline fightermedic

thanks for the advice, but i am no THAT stupid to not check for an error like that :D this is my third ship with pbr textures i create for this engine, i think i have the basics nailed down  :shaking:
>>Ships created by me<<

Offline DahBlount

• Minecraft
Alright, but I assure you relfectance in the PBR branch is in no way broken nor does it have too high of a minimum setting.

<DahBlount> So
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> sure

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
Thanks for going through the effort of changing the window.  It looks great.

Offline fightermedic

Alright, but I assure you relfectance in the PBR branch is in no way broken nor does it have too high of a minimum setting.
well, if i set the matrial overwrite to 0 gloss in the mainhall ship viewer, it still has way too much gloss... sounds like a too high min setting to me, or at least SOMETHING is wrong here
>>Ships created by me<<

Offline fightermedic

alright let's see, first of all i have to say, you are right, the gloss was not the problem, i think it's the min spec color that is too high

with non-pbr textures, using gloss and spec overwrite 0, you can see that all the details from the diffuse texture are completely washed out, despite there should be no reflection at all:

without reflection (just because of the angle), how it should actually look with reflection and gloss 0, even when in the angle from the screenshot above:

still non pbr textures, no overrides used, so default value for gloss -> way too high!

spec color set to 0, still way too much just because of the default gloss

now WITH pbr textures, look how extremely washed out this looks because of too high reflection, despite the texture having almost no spec and gloss for this part of the texture, this is my orignial problem i was complaining about

the same pbr texture with gloss and spec set to 0, this is a completely black diffuse map, so this represents the darkest possible color you can have, way too bright!

upload of the model will follow soon btw!

« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 07:19:27 am by fightermedic »
>>Ships created by me<<