Author Topic: Deferred Lighting and soft shadows  (Read 69156 times)

Re: Deferred Lighting and soft shadows
I tested build shadows_11167 and all my bugs described earlier disappeared. :)

But I forgot something (seen in earlier builds too). :ick:

In Technical Database ships are displaced to right. Turning off shadows fixes problem.

On my computer Arcadia looks good.

Offline Swifty

• I reject your fantasy & substitute my own
Sorry if this problem has been reported before, but this build (I’ve tested 10506 R2, 11109 and 11167) has trouble displaying the 2014 mediaVPs version of the GTI Arcadia on my computer.

Disabling or enabling deferred lighting, shadows or FXAA antialiasing, in any combination, doesn’t fix the problem. I haven’t encountered this issue on the 3.7.2 RCs, either.

My computer config is a Core i3 2100, 8gb RAM, GTX 560, Win7 64.

Can you run the debug builds and post your log file? Are there any other models that exhibit this behavior?

Offline Swifty

Could we get a patch for us with largely nefarious goals? :)

[attachment kidnapped by pirates]

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yeah, I noticed this build didn't particularly like the new Arcadia.. but I was unable to confirm a whole lot because the mod I'm currently working on pretty much just crashes repeatedly and under a wide range of circumstances with these builds. More different circumstances that I really knew how to document and report with any useful accuracy.

Of course, I was also using unofficial builds from a heathen COUGHAXEMCOUGH. I'll try to give more concrete feedback when I see builds I can run on that same mod.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Swifty

Is this Arcadia available in the current Media VPs or is it a WIP and/or unreleased version?

Offline majorvader111

• Don't Puckle With Shuckles
Ok when i try this on shadow genesis 1.1 and select the magnus i get this error

The NVIDIA OpenGL driver lost connection with the display driver due to exceeding the Windows Time-Out limit and is unable to continue.

The application must close.

here is my log file http://pastebin.com/h0rzPLmg
STRAYA... Home of Death, Trash Internet & The Police State Downunder.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Is this Arcadia available in the current Media VPs or is it a WIP and/or unreleased version?

It looks like the current mediavps_2014 version.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Swifty

can i get log files from everybody that are experiencing problems with the Arcadia?

Offline Swifty

Ok when i try this on shadow genesis 1.1 and select the magnus i get this error

The NVIDIA OpenGL driver lost connection with the display driver due to exceeding the Windows Time-Out limit and is unable to continue.

The application must close.

here is my log file http://pastebin.com/h0rzPLmg

Thanks for that log file. It really helps. Especially because I'm seeing that your graphics processor only supports 4 texture units which means the batched model rendering system I wrote to improve framerates won't work on your machine if all the bells and whistles are enabled and taking up texture slots (diffuse, specular, glow, normal, and then finally the texture buffer that contains all the submodel transform info). (Nevermind, I realized your graphics adapter supports 32 texture image units.)

Not only that, your card doesn't support very large vertex and index buffers in a draw call which could mean the Magnus is too large to be rendered all at once on your machine.

As for what this all means? I'm going to have to figure out how to take into account of hardware limits beyond shader and extension support and disable the batched model draw system programmatically.

In any case, as a temporary solution, try going to "Troubleshooting" and look for "Disable batched model rendering". See if that solves your problem.

Still waiting for log files from people who aren't able to render the Arcadia properly.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 02:11:10 am by Swifty »

Offline Erkhyan

• My ramblings
Sorry about the delay, I didn’t have time to play yesterday. Anyway, I use the 2014 media VPs, no addons. I also discovered that where the Arcadia appears corrupted, the Hatshepsut just doesn’t display at all. Using the "Disable batched model rendering" option fixes both issues.

Here’s my first log: http://pastebin.com/UAEiZ2cC

It covers loading the game, checking a handful models in the tech room, and attempting to load the first mission of the SCP version of Derelict (because it features an Arcadia). The debug build crashes to desktop while trying to load the mission, something that doesn’t happen with the standard build.

My second log: http://pastebin.com/NCyLjD2U

This time, only using the 2014 media VPs without Derelict. Loading the game, creating a new pilot, starting the standard FS2 campaign, deciding to skip all training missions, and loading Surrender, Belisarius! in order to check the Hatshepsut model. I didn’t get to: while the mission loaded fine, the game had a CTD as soon as I fired my primaries.

I then used the standard build to check: no crash, and the GVD Psamtik appears completely invisible except for its engine exhaust.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
http://www.mediafire.com/download/jgt58g0q7il86sk/shadows_11167.zip

• Fixed fixed function rendering.
  • Fixed bloom.
  • Extended smarter transparency rendering to all submodels.
  • Fixed issue where the bitmap lookup code would return the wrong texels when giving it negative UV coordinates which prevented transparencies from rendering properly on some models.
Dear swifty, the transparancy issue I reported earlier still persists. Ships still appear transparant or are missing their transparant bits completely.

(P.s. I still love you, but it would probably help if you could find a tiny bit of time to hang out in the dev channel, pull stuff from the svn and test your changes directly with me)
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline majorvader111

Not only that, your card doesn't support very large vertex and index buffers in a draw call which could mean the Magnus is too large to be rendered all at once on your machine.

well thats weird i have a gtx 770

Offline Swifty

It's not weird. I finally dusted off my Nvidia machine and it looks like Nvidia OpenGL drivers in general don't support vertex and index counts larger than 1000K. AMD cards are 16000K.

So it's back to the drawing board for me.

Offline Swifty

Good news everyone. I managed to reproduce everybody's rendering issues on my Nvidia machine. Expect a fix shortly.

Offline majorvader111

It's not weird. I finally dusted off my Nvidia machine and it looks like Nvidia OpenGL drivers in general don't support vertex and index counts larger than 1000K. AMD cards are 16000K.

So it's back to the drawing board for me.

really, good on you nvidia

Offline majorvader111

Good news everyone. I managed to reproduce everybody's rendering issues on my Nvidia machine. Expect a fix shortly.

cool looking forward

Offline Swifty

It looks like those vertex and index element limits were irrelevant and not causing the problem of models not rendering on Nvidia GPUs. The actual problem was coming from how the engine was packing indices into the index buffer. Nvidia drivers don't like reading from an index buffer pointer that's not word aligned with the current address type set (unsigned 32-bit integers versus unsigned 16-bit integers).

This build fixes that problem. I tested the models reported as having issues in this thread on my spare machine with an Nvidia video card and they all rendered correctly. I hope this is the end of the Nvidia issues but please keep an eye out for any problems that may crop up.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ddpawmlwdj264qq/shadows_11167_r2.zip

[attachment kidnapped by pirates]

Offline DahBlount

• Alpine ☆ Cancer Tribulation
    • Minecraft
Does this happen for anyone else?

Normal:

Fixed Render Pipeline:
<Axem> yet still more insightful than #hard-light

<Axem> jad2.23 will just be cat videos

<DahBlount> So
<DahBlount> JAD2.2 is like that
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> it can be whatever you like!
<DahBlount> A Chocolate Sundae?
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus

Offline DahBlount

• Alpine ☆ Cancer Tribulation
    • Minecraft
Look at a ship in the F3 lab with Fixed Render Pipeline turned on.

The effect is slightly different between ship classes. The Solaris shows with all of its subsystems destroyed.

All ships default to facing away from the camera but glowpoints and thruster graphics stay in place and can be rotated as if it were attached the ship.
<Axem> yet still more insightful than #hard-light

<Axem> jad2.23 will just be cat videos

<DahBlount> So
<DahBlount> JAD2.2 is like that
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> it can be whatever you like!
<DahBlount> A Chocolate Sundae?
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus