Author Topic: Joystick response curves  (Read 35230 times)

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Re: Joystick response curves
Using an external app is not a "solution" to "the joystick curve issue"; at best, it's a workaround.

Well until Freespace 2 is updated to handle more joystick devices then some people are still going to be using workarounds.
...And you know the post you originally replied to was me wanting this in PR form so that we can do just that (update FSO), right? This will probably not get merged until the aforementioned update to handle multiple devices comes along.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Yes I understand but that is something that has been talked about for a long time. This is for those that need something right now.

Does anyone have an updated link to the Windows build? The links in the original post are broken. I wanted to try out these joystick curves.

Does anyone have an updated link to the Windows build? The links in the original post are broken. I wanted to try out these joystick curves.

So I have good news and bad news about this.

The good news is I'm a bit of a digital hoarder, so there's good chance I'll be able to dig it out of some ancient backup.

The bad news is I'm a bit of a digital hoarder, so it's going to take a while to look and there's probably going to be a few dozen files with that filename.

I was amused to see I put it on Copy.  I haven't thought about that service in YEARS.  I'll get back to you with results.

Your best option to add joystick curves, combine controllers and add macros is to use Joystick Gremlin. It is quite awesome. It has so many great function

http://whitemagic.github.io/JoystickGremlin/

Yeah, JoystickGremlin is probably a much better option.  Much better than testing a build from 2014.

I think I found it.  Here's a Google Drive link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cxDawhH3DH40kZgIdosCTJybCnxWCUqO
Pretty sure it's the right one:
Code: [Select]
❯ strings fs2_open_3_7_1_SDL.exe | grep curves
-joystick_curves
-joystick_curves
Changes the joystick axis gain curves

Modification date matches the thread creation date (well, it's one day after), so I'm confident I found the right one :)
Code: [Select]
❯ ll fs2_open_3_7_1_SDL.exe
-rw-rw---- 1 achilleas storageaccess 5.3M 2014-05-04 13:49 fs2_open_3_7_1_SDL.exe
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 07:29:21 pm by Achillion »

Thanks so much Achillion! Yeah, I used Copy back and the day and had totally forgotten about it until I saw those links. hah. I did take a look at Joystick Gremlin but I didn't like the prospect of rebinding all the buttons to a virtual joystick then rebinding everything in game. I may end up just biting the bullet and doing it.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam

The good news is I'm a bit of a digital hoarder, so there's good chance I'll be able to dig it out of some ancient backup.

The bad news is I'm a bit of a digital hoarder, so it's going to take a while to look and there's probably going to be a few dozen files with that filename.

I was amused to see I put it on Copy.  I haven't thought about that service in YEARS.  I'll get back to you with results.

I am as well. Let me introduce you to your new best friend: VoidTools' Everything.  Searches as you type, by the time you finish typing, the results are up.  There's a portable version as well if you wish.  First-time indexing takes a few seconds to a minute.

I am as well. Let me introduce you to your new best friend: VoidTools' Everything.  Searches as you type, by the time you finish typing, the results are up.  There's a portable version as well if you wish.  First-time indexing takes a few seconds to a minute.

The problem was I didn't know the exact file name (no idea which version it was back then), so I had to find all files that matched fs2_open*.exe and then I had to make sure it was actually the one I built back then.  I made do with good old find, strings, and grep.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam

The problem was I didn't know the exact file name (no idea which version it was back then), so I had to find all files that matched fs2_open*.exe and then I had to make sure it was actually the one I built back then.  I made do with good old find, strings, and grep.

Niiiice.  I had assumed instantly pulling up all fs2_open*.exe would have been enough (which Everything would do by the time you finished typing it).  You really do have an archive.  Do you have any more renders from the old Hard Light Array?  Here's what I've got: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1MbKdWXH8hAadp9RigfWlhtpysvfJ0F50

Do you have any more renders from the old Hard Light Array?  Here's what I've got: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1MbKdWXH8hAadp9RigfWlhtpysvfJ0F50

Never had any of those, no, so I can't help.  Sorry.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Here's the easy way: https://www.freespacemods.net/download_424.html

Thanks much, added to my archive  Hopefully no duplicates, will check later.