Author Topic: Beams, beams everywhere (SubSpace Beam Strikes)  (Read 9148 times)

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Beams, beams everywhere (SubSpace Beam Strikes)
First, a screenshot that should be self-explanatory:

Next, the mantis issue containing the patch:
http://scp.indiegames.us/mantis/view.php?id=3103

Lastly, a link to the test build:
http://deviance.duckish.net/downloads/fs2_fred2_open_ssb_test.7z

Basic list of features:
  • Ssm.tbl is now modular (with a wildcard of *-ssm.tbm, naturally).
  • You can now define an SSM with a Beam weapon and have beams shoot out of the subspace portals.
  • beam-create SEXP to fire a beam from arbitrary coordinates.
  • Most recently, 10-projectile limit removed from SSM strikes.

Have a couple videos:

« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 06:14:51 pm by AdmiralRalwood »
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
Re: Beams, beams everywhere (SubSpace Beam Strikes)
OOH

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
So, The GTVA and UEF has something to piss their pants about. Lucifer class beams that can strike any target, at any time, without warning.

http://youtu.be/aXU8w336oGs

[edit] bah, youtube link isn't working for me
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline Parias

Oh gosh - this is fantastic.

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
Wow, this is really cool, but it breaks the universe in so many ways.

"What subspace motivator?"

"You mean people used to aim these things?"

"Why can't we just make the beam jump within the enemy ship, sir?"

I may end up using the beam create sexp, though.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
"Why can't we just make the beam jump within the enemy ship, sir?"

The same could have been said for SSMs though, couldn't it?
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
Which may be one of the reasons SSMs aren't canon.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME

<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
(...)
<MageKing17> so

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
"Subspace apertures can only be opened in space relatively devoid of baryonic matter. The strong and electromagnetic forces holding together an atom have a destabilizing effect on the formation of the mouth. This can be compensated with more power and specially designed subspace drives but navigation failures that lead to an attempted warp into a large solid object during a typical intrasystem jump will usually result in the aperture simply forming some distance away from the occupied region of space. The failure of the subspace aperture is a real threat in these situations, especially if the scale of the warping vessel is significantly smaller than the occupying one. The resulting envelope failure will result in the warping vessel's matter being slowly defused back into a region of space roughly 1500 times it's original volume over the course of several hours to days. Typical interplanetary space is usually sufficiently devoid of mater so as to not interfere with subspace drive operation however planetary atmospheres even relatively thin ones can be problematic. Catastrophic subspace envelope failure is exceedingly rare in atmospheric subspace maneuvering so long as proper maintenance is performed, though missed jump coordinates and disruptive power fluctuations are common problems when attempting to use subspace motivators not designed for atmospheric operation"
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
Test build updated to fix a crash bug, and also replaced with SSE2 builds instead of AVX. Link is the same.

Also, there's this thing:

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

Offline Beskargam

• We'z got a nob to lead us boys, wadaful.
holy ****! that was magnificent!

Offline Lorric

Yes, that's really quite something. :pimp:

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Holy ****!
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
[wall of text]

In case anybody glazed over that, subspace mechanics canonically state that it is impossible to warp into an object larger than the warping vessel. So, No. Alpha 1 cannot be warped inside of the Sathanas and tasked to shoot his way out, nor can a SSB originate from inside an intended target.

regarding tag-ception: Good Stuff.
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
AHAHAHAHAHA

I like it.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Thisisaverylongusername

• This is fine.
How did you not get blown to bits by the BGreens? Those things were everywhere!  :eek2:
If the opposite of pro is con, then is the opposite of progress Congress?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
How did you not get blown to bits by the BGreens? Those things were everywhere!  :eek2:
Actually, the first time I tried to record the video, one spawned on exactly the other side of the Triton and nailed me. :P

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

Yesssss, more subspace madness is at hand.

Named SSM strikes + modular SSM table, yes please. Regarding call-ssm-strike: given the improved readability and usability given by referencing strikes by their (new) names, having to go through every mission using the SEXP to alter it is a rather small price to pay.

There is so much awesome in there. SSM & beam abuse have got to be my favorite modding activities, so you've just opened a huge box of fresh possibilities and applications.
Thank you very much, mister :)

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
Regarding call-ssm-strike: given the improved readability and usability given by referencing strikes by their (new) names, having to go through every mission using the SEXP to alter it is a rather small price to pay.
I'm currently lobbying to have that change by itself make it into 3.7.2 final so we don't have a final stable release made with call-ssm-strike referencing the SSM index; since call-ssm-strike was your "baby", if you will, I'm glad you prefer it this way as well.

Also, SSMs have actually been named since the very beginning; the reason weapons referenced the index instead of the name is because ssm.tbl is parsed after weapons.tbl, so there are no names to compare with when the weapons are actually parsed; the full-blown patch gets around that by hanging on to the string and waiting to do the comparison until after SSMs have been parsed.

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so

Offline Kolgena

"Where's the blockade? Why isn't the alliance guarding this node?"
"Our line of defense has been reprioritized for engagements elsewhere in the system. Stand by for SS beam strike. Command out."
*I regret your efforts to intercept us has failed pilots. You would be well advised to--HOLY SHI"

Offline Torchwood

• Mechanical Templar
Shivans have always had the edge in subspace technology, the way they manage to consistently jump GTVA ships and kepp most of their beams facing forward-only. What if they start using this technology?

...It's going to boil down to hide-and-seek with laser bazookas, isn't it?