Author Topic: Bush 'is planning nuclear strikes on Iran's secret sites'  (Read 11083 times)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Re: Bush 'is planning nuclear strikes on Iran's secret sites'
Alas, I can't link, because the information comes from inside; namely my father, who is a civilian working for the Navy. (GS-15, protocol equivalent of a captain; he's one of the deputy directors for Space and Naval Warfare Systems Command. Navy R&D essentially.)
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline TheCaptain

• Warped
    • FanFiction Stories
Alas, I can't link, because the information comes from inside; namely my father, who is a civilian working for the Navy. (GS-15, protocol equivalent of a captain; he's one of the deputy directors for Space and Naval Warfare Systems Command. Navy R&D essentially.)
Hmm, shame, but definitely adds fuel to the fire if accurate. Makes a lot of sense though for a honorable militaryman to be so opposed to preemptive nuclear strikes, I get that, even against a country like Iran.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Re: Bush 'is planning nuclear strikes on Iran's s
Wouldn't take much to get that out of whack though.  "nuclear strikes on Iran's secret facilities" is only a slight variation off of "strikes on Iran's secret nuclear facilities."  The latter far more likely than the former, really, but isn't as sensationalist.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny

We'll assume it's accurate then. I can certainly see why the administration doesn't want that info getting out.

It also makes me wonder why the military would spend so much money on toys like this if it won't use them?
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
It also makes me wonder why the military would spend so much money on toys like this if it won't use them?
The same reason they design lasers, orbital weapons platforms and all those other futuristic weapons...

...because it's cool!

Offline Ford Prefect

• 8D
  • Intelligent Dasein
See, this is how we know the world is still male-dominated. It's all about having the toys.
"Mais est-ce qu'il ne vient jamais à l'idée de ces gens-là que je peux être 'artificiel' par nature?"  --Maurice Ravel

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
See, this is how we know the world is still male-dominated. It's all about having the toys.

Whereas if it were female-dominated, it'd be all about playing with the toys? :p
-C

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4908820.stm

Irony:
Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said the UN Security Council would have to look at options to compel Iran to "obey the international system".
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline TheCaptain

• Warped
    • FanFiction Stories
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4908820.stm

Irony:
Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said the UN Security Council would have to look at options to compel Iran to "obey the international system".
All I've got to add on to that at the moment... :D
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/pop_ups/06/middle_east_iranians0_nuclear_views/html/7.stm

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
<< looks forward to seeing nuclear blasts on cnn :D
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Grug

• From the ashes...
I can't truely believe you really think that. >..>

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.

See, that misses the point from where the military's sitting. They don't exist to be used; they exist against the day when their use is necessary. This is particularly true of nuclear weapons. The mission is not to fight, but to be ready to fight.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

I'm sure Europe will be overjoyed when Iran develops nuclear weapons.  They'd get hit a lot sooner than we would.

The only bad thing about letting Iran get nuclear weapons is Israel's right there.

Let's see another Danish cartoon incident when Iran has the bomb.  :blah:
"You tell me, Pilot.  I'm informed on a need-to-know basis."

CLBE! - Command Let Bosch Escape!

Offline TheCaptain

• Warped
    • FanFiction Stories
http://www9.sbs.com.au/theworldnews/region.php?id=128424&region=6

Well, the IAEA's been told where to go by the Iranians supposedly, big surprise I know... :)

Well if WW3 breaks out I'm definitely within nuclear blast range of Leeds, the 3rd most populated city in the UK :nervous: And if they hit Manchester or Sheffield, fallout would probably get me.

So if it happens and I suddenly drop off the radar, well.

I'm actually quite scared now. They've got hella better reasons for military action here than they did with Iraq.

The first bomb launched, well that could just spiral out of all proportions with alliances, non-alliances and in general leaders who would try and use the situation for their own gain.

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
I can't find the article now, but the Evening Times ran an issue a year or so ago in which they released the old cold war emergency plans for an atomic bomb being dropped on Glasgow. It made sense due to the sheer level of industry in the city. The predicted casualty rates weren't as high as I would have imagined, but its an interesting thought nonetheless.
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
I can't truely believe you really think that. >..>

i think you need to understand a few things about me before you make that assumption

1. i think mad max movies are really cool
2. insanity is why im not in the marines right now
3. i hate people
4. my name is nuke

:D
« Last Edit: April 15, 2006, 05:40:17 am by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I can't find the article now, but the Evening Times ran an issue a year or so ago in which they released the old cold war emergency plans for an atomic bomb being dropped on Glasgow. It made sense due to the sheer level of industry in the city. The predicted casualty rates weren't as high as I would have imagined.

It's the neds that are pushing down the casualty figures. We've long know that cockroaches and other vermin could survive a nuclear strike. :p
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline aceofspades

• Janitor on a SJ Sathanas
Actually, since Iran launching a nuke at a heavily populated area (say, bigger casualty figures 'achieved' than hiroshima) would mean pretty much the end of the world for human civilization, I don't think it's unreasonable for Iran to launch an intercontinental nuke. Think, for example, if all the social welfare programs that they offer are no longer relevant (bad example actually, they probably don't have much in the way of such programs in Iran). Then they could pour all that funding into getting a nuke. I mean, what the hay, they could even just steal one using an agent inside a country that does have one.
Anyway, it may be useful to note that it would be pretty easy, in comparison, for Iran to threaten Israel with a short-range one. It's in their freakin' constitution. That may actually be better for the world - maybe Israel would be able to defuse the situation more or less by itself without anyone getting nuked.

Damn. And I thought I was going to live long enough to get my PhD.
I wonder if the Shivans eat chocolate? Or play FS2, for that matter.

Offline ilya

• The Bringer of Light
    • World-Gaming Network
Well if WW3 breaks out I'm definitely within nuclear blast range of Leeds, the 3rd most populated city in the UK :nervous: And if they hit Manchester or Sheffield, fallout would probably get me.

So if it happens and I suddenly drop off the radar, well.

I'm actually quite scared now. They've got hella better reasons for military action here than they did with Iraq.

The first bomb launched, well that could just spiral out of all proportions with alliances, non-alliances and in general leaders who would try and use the situation for their own gain.

Can anyone say M.A.D.?
--ilya
---Sic Itur Ad Astra
---Solvi Vester Cordis
----There is always hope
----When you can't walk, you crawl. And when you can't crawl, you have someone carry you.