Author Topic: What animes/series are you watching right now?  (Read 305180 times)

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Re: What animes/series are you watching right now?
Breaking Bad...........................

:pimp:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline stinkyFeet

• 2-∞ - User does not compute
ds9 and b5 were both pretty good shows by the standards of 90s television, but they just can't hold up in the current golden age.

What golden age? i guess HBO puts out some good stuff, but the crime dramas, reality tv, ect. seem pretty terrible to me. Everybody's struggling for money. Nothing compares to Babylon 5, yet, in terms of science fiction.

IMHO
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 10:33:44 am by stinkyFeet »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
ds9 and b5 were both pretty good shows by the standards of 90s television, but they just can't hold up in the current golden age.

What golden age? i guess HBO puts out some good stuff, but the crime dramas, reality tv, ect, seem pretty terrible to me. Everybody's struggling for money. Nothing compares to Babylon 5, yet, in terms of science fiction.

IMHO

For those of us primarily interested in high-concept "genre" telly, we are currently in a position of having a lot of quality on display.

As for the thread topic, I am currently watching Dr Who, Castle, The Newsroom, Burn Notice, Person of Interest.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline stinkyFeet

• 2-∞ - User does not compute
Fair enough. I guess I just have weird taste. I freaking love Highlander though nobody else seems to.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 10:51:22 am by stinkyFeet »

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Aside from Supernatural mentioned in my first post (Goddammit season 7.  It hurts), also watching Breaking Bad, re-watching Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, NCIS, and vaguely Necessary Roughness.

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
I'm currently watching Dominion Tank Police, Samurai Champloo, Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai and Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? of the Dead.

Watched Baldr Force EXE until a certain "scene" in it, left me feeling thoroughly ill for a couple of days (no, the exploding heads didn't do it).

I was thinking about re-watching Cowboy Bebop but thought better of it due to the fact that after a couple of minutes of each episode I'll remember what will happen and lose interest. Does anyone know of an anime that has a similar style of lighthearted gun toting and martial arts?

And once I've finished the ones I'm watching now, I going to mix it up a little with Girls Bravo (saw a trailer years ago on a free Newtype DVD and thought it was hilarious), Excell Saga and Najica Blitz Tactics, Battle Vixens Full Metal Panic.  :nervous:
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Offline Madrox

• Because destroying shivans ins´t enough...
    • My DeviantArt
I'm kind of glad that I dropped AGE after the first season. Actually, now that I try to remember I think it's the first time I actually dropped a series by my own decision.

Though, I heard that apparently the AGE was originaly a game which had events/choises that affected to the story creating multiple ending possibilities. And the animu just picks up one of them.
Not sure about how valid this information is.

What is this AGE series you are talking about?

If I recall correctly that's the "Gundam for children" show.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq

What golden age? i guess HBO puts out some good stuff, but the crime dramas, reality tv, ect. seem pretty terrible to me. Everybody's struggling for money. Nothing compares to Babylon 5, yet, in terms of science fiction.

IMHO

B5 is practically unwatchable today for very basic reasons. While on the high level it's a landmark piece of television - at the macro level of writing, the big overarching plot, the season to season arcs  it's unmatched - at the basic level of acting, set design, and even costuming it's excruciating. Trek by comparison is dull and plays it way too safe, barring a few episodes (mostly in DS9).

Since the last decade we've had an eruption of gorgeous, tightly written, challenging scripted television. The Wire, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, BSG, so many more. There have been failures and sputters but overall scripted TV is in a great place.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 01:46:02 pm by General Battuta »

I'm kind of glad that I dropped AGE after the first season. Actually, now that I try to remember I think it's the first time I actually dropped a series by my own decision.

Though, I heard that apparently the AGE was originaly a game which had events/choises that affected to the story creating multiple ending possibilities. And the animu just picks up one of them.

Gundam AGE, the latest in a long line of Gundam shows.

And no, this one wasn't so much for kids anymore than any other Gundam is. I thought we'd dealt with that misconception months ago. Having a less realistic art style does not a kids show make.

Gortef: I've heard that rumor too, and given that the game was released prior to the show's end and had at least one plotline identical to how the show ended, and the show was written by the same guys who made the game... I'm inclined to believe this one.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Madrox

• My DeviantArt

Gundam AGE, the latest in a long line of Gundam shows.

And no, this one wasn't so much for kids anymore than any other Gundam is. I thought we'd dealt with that misconception months ago. Having a less realistic art style does not a kids show make.

Gortef: I've heard that rumor too, and given that the game was released prior to the show's end and had at least one plotline identical to how the show ended, and the show was written by the same guys who made the game... I'm inclined to believe this one.

Ah!

i see.
 tha only AGE i know is the strategy game xD
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 02:11:53 pm by Madrox »

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
B5 is practically unwatchable today for very basic reasons. While on the high level it's a landmark piece of television - at the macro level of writing, the big overarching plot, the season to season arcs  it's unmatched - at the basic level of acting, set design, and even costuming it's excruciating. Trek by comparison is dull and plays it way too safe, barring a few episodes (mostly in DS9).

Since the last decade we've had an eruption of gorgeous, tightly written, challenging scripted television. The Wire, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, BSG, so many more. There have been failures and sputters but overall scripted TV is in a great place.
:wtf: You must be smoking some good stuff there. Particularly acting of Peter Jurasik and Andreas Katsulas still is very enjoyable to watch. Rest of the cast wasn't that bad either. Many of them got better after the first season. As for costumes, I still don't view them bad by any measure. Sure, there were some that sucked but were seen only in one or very few episodes. Those that we saw very often were pretty good, such as Narn ones. And I don't know what you're complaining about the sets. Only The Gathering had horrible sets, thankfully it was vastly improved for actual series and gradually improved.

Also, BSG was good only up to end of second season. The rest of it was pretty much crap. Honestly, I don't know why are you even listing BSG among the others you mentioned. If you merit the show for its first two seasons only, certainly. But in that case the series lacks good ending and conclusion, dropping rating significantly and making it no better than any other cancelled series like Firefly. If we measure the series for full four seasons, it's pretty bad.

Because of what a failure BSG eventually was, I regret I even bought first two season DVD's. Ugh. Well, Stargate SG-1 ranks as my number 1 sci-fi series and B5 is good 2nd. Just like Firefly, BSG is nothing but a novelty, a promise of something that was supposed to be great.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 02:14:10 pm by Fury »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Peter Jurasik and Andreas Katsulas were both amazing, but the rest of the cast never pushed much past 'good enough' and often collapsed into 'dreadful', in no small part because of the dialogue they were given.

Twin Peaks also fell apart after its first season but it's still an incredible piece of television if you just look at the good stuff. BSG and Twin Peaks both made enduring, powerful artistic statements during the time they were on top of their game - the rest can be set aside. Stargate SG-1 was a fun show but it's mostly just genre comfort food.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Stargate SG-1 was a fun show but it's mostly just genre comfort food.
:wtf:
Pardon me for a minute. I need to check my blood pressure.

Offline Madrox

• My DeviantArt

:wtf: You must be smoking some good stuff there. Particularly acting of Peter Jurasik and Andreas Katsulas still is very enjoyable to watch. Rest of the cast wasn't that bad either. Many of them got better after the first season. As for costumes, I still don't view them bad by any measure. Sure, there were some that sucked but were seen only in one or very few episodes. Those that we saw very often were pretty good, such as Narn ones. And I don't know what you're complaining about the sets. Only The Gathering had horrible sets, thankfully it was vastly improved for actual series and gradually improved.

Also, BSG was good only up to end of second season. The rest of it was pretty much crap. Honestly, I don't know why are you even listing BSG among the others you mentioned. If you merit the show for its first two seasons only, certainly. But in that case the series lacks good ending and conclusion, dropping rating significantly and making it no better than any other cancelled series like Firefly. If we measure the series for full four seasons, it's pretty bad.

Because of what a failure BSG eventually was, I regret I even bought first two season DVD's. Ugh. Well, Stargate SG-1 ranks as my number 1 sci-fi series and B5 is good 2nd. Just like Firefly, BSG is nothing but a novelty, a promise of something that was supposed to be great.

B5 was a great show and have pretty interesting concepts behind it, and the universe can always be expanded, se for examples the expanded universe of star wars and KOTOR 2 who had better stories than the original movies.

Unhapily i have to agree whitch you about BSG, they screwed big time in the season 4 woth all that religious crap they putted in.

Firefly had a great story, too bad it wasn´t finalised the way it should be. :/

And Sopranos is a little bit old to be considered "current" for today´s tv no?

General Battuta probably dislikes A Game of Thrones, too. :p
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
GoT is okay, and contains some brilliance.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
How can you hate Q? She's cute. :(

wtf is this? lol
i was talking about this Q - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBwoEXlTph0

I don't know anything involving 3D people.
I linked Q, from [C].
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
At the moment, apart from Doctor Who and New tricks i don't watch any TV as i think at the moment TV is pretty well crap, I am so sick of reality TV shows i just don't get the interest in them.

So the DVDs and online programs i watch are

Top Gear Challenges
New Tricks
Doctor Who(classic era)
Stargate Atlantis, i will never know why they canceled it in favor of the crap show that was Universe. They should never have tried to have done a BSG show it was just utter crap. Atlantis was really good and had some truly fantastic characters and heartbreaking moments.

Transformers Prime which is actually really good.
I have just finished watching Gundam wing and Endless Waltz, i know a lot of people dislike it but i enjoyed it.
Paltarbor(spelling) 2, This took me by suprise and got me into anima, it has a brillant plot and is very well animated. It really is a good film.
Samurai Jack, just epic.

Deep space 9 for me really gets good from the series 2 final, when we first get to see the Dominion in action. After that the best star trek series. B5 is still really good better than a lot of the crud we get on TV today. I can only watch it up till season 4. I think it should of ended there as season 5 was pretty bad.

Are there any proper Scifi shows being made and i am not talking about things like twilight etc, that's not science fiction. The only one i can think of that is still being made is Doctor Who, even the SyFy channel(UK) hardly shows anything science fiction these days.
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Fringe, Person of Interest