Author Topic: Microsoft Open-Sourcing PowerShell, allowing it on OSX and Linux  (Read 1701 times)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Microsoft Open-Sourcing PowerShell, allowing it on OSX and Linux

Re: Microsoft Open-Sourcing PowerShell, allowing it on OSX and Linux
I can't see this gaining much ground except for compatibility; who's going to bother redesigning the vast Unix ecosystem of tools based on text stream interfaces to work with Powershell's object model?
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
It's probably more for cross-platform portability for projects already set up in Windows PowerShell.

That's what I meant by 'except for compatibility'. I don't think anyone will be starting any new projects with this (especially when you could use the new POSIX subsystem for Windows instead).
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
They're probably releasing some or none of the code. Remind anyone open xml for office 2007 up?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 01:37:09 am by S-99 »
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
They're releasing all the code. You can check it for yourself here: https://github.com/PowerShell/PowerShell
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
They are probably doing this for their Azure clients.
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
Now i'm curious what kind of opensource license it is. Is it the normal kind where you can make a fork and call it your own as long as you give credit to the creator? I wanna open my presents!
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

It says right there that it's MIT licensed

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
Cool beans.
MIT license.
Quote from: opensource.org mit license
The MIT License (MIT)
Copyright (c) <year> <copyright holders>

Permission is hereby granted, free of charge, to any person obtaining a copy of this software and associated documentation files (the "Software"), to deal in the Software without restriction, including without limitation the rights to use, copy, modify, merge, publish, distribute, sublicense, and/or sell copies of the Software, and to permit persons to whom the Software is furnished to do so, subject to the following conditions:

The above copyright notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or substantial portions of the Software.

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.
If anyone - individual or company - releases software/source code with an MIT license, it means that anyone else - individual or company can "deal in the Software without restriction". So long as the copyright notice stays in tact, they are pretty much able to do as they please.

Fork worthy. Now to see what people need powershell over bash ;)

SMBFD