Author Topic: Have you seen NatGeo's Mars TV series?  (Read 4501 times)

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
Have you seen NatGeo's Mars TV series?
I wonder whether you guys at HLP seeing the new Mars TV series by NatGeo? It premiered yesterday, as a huge commercial/informercial for SpaceX CEO Elon Musk, whose exciting projects is colonizing Mars.

In the wake of last week's US election results, in which Donald Trump won unexpectedly, Mars has become a safe place for us. I'm disappointed at this, but I plan to move there in the near future. It's the moral thing to do.

EDIT: And hopefully, to escape Vladimir Putin. I'm just joking.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline watsisname

Re: Have you seen NatGeo's Mars TV series?
Dude.  Is it possible for you to talk about anything interesting about space without introducing politics?  What the ****.

edit:  like, seriously.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 08:36:01 pm by watsisname »
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline DefCynodont119

• Ascended GTSC-Faustus Artist
    • Steam
Look, I love space exploration and astronomy and spaceflight to death, and I would love to talk about that stuff with anyone.

But only if we can drop the "you know who" talk.

I don't want to be rude Bryan, I'm sorry ok? but could you look at my Juno thread? that is a good-ish example of how to post space-stuff without involving politics.

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=92170.msg1822626#msg1822626

See how It's structured?

Back on topic:

I wanted to watch it, than i forgot about it due to a new game i got. . .
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 10:03:41 pm by DefCynodont119 »
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
    • Twitter
Dude.  Is it possible for you to talk about anything interesting about space without introducing politics?  What the ****.

edit:  like, seriously.
Possible. But, from what I read, Mars (and other planets for that matter) is the only place safe from Trump and Putin (and Chechnya's Ramzan Kadyrov). From the University Herald:

Elon Musk and SpaceX may have provided a way out for people who want to escape Donald Trump's presidency.

And Business Insider:

Roughly half of the United States is struggling to come to terms with a Donald Trump presidency and what it might portend.

Some people are so upset they’re considering moving to Canada, and they might be serious — the Canadian immigration website crashed overnight.

But at least one group is so disillusioned by Trump’s election win, including the pop star Cher, that they have a more exotic destination for expatriation in mind: Mars.

This would have seemed like more of a joke during the previous presidential election cycle. However, SpaceX — and specifically tech entrepreneur Elon Musk — is deadly serious about trying to send the first Martian settlers sometime in 2022 or 2024. Boeing is also eager to put boots on Mars, and soon.

Assuming that timeline holds and Trump is reelected in 2020, defection to the red planet during his presidency might actually be an option for a small number of people.

Musk’s lifetime goal is to see a million people on Mars because he wants a “backup drive” for humanity, just in case some major disaster — extraterrestrial or otherwise — ruins Earth. And he wants tickets to be semi-affordable at about $200,000 or less per person.

I may have yet another backup drive for not only humanity, but also progress... That is if I complete my Masters program at my university in time... :)

Look, I love space exploration and astronomy and spaceflight to death, and I would love to talk about that stuff with anyone.

But only if we can drop the "you know who" talk.

I'm talking about space exploration and the very survival of mankind, which is now at stake thanks to the "deplorables" and Putin's Russia (which is now our number-one geopolitical foe). It's a moral thing for us to do.

NatGeo's Mars TV series is about human exploration of the Red Planet. It blends real-life and science fiction together. It provides inspiration for us all. Provided that these "deplorables" do not interfere.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline watsisname

« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 12:22:29 am by watsisname »

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
A Shivan Sathanas juggernaut. I bet I can call upon it to lay waste on neo-fascism and Russia while getting humanity to Mars :D

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Possible. But, from what I read, Mars (and other planets for that matter) is the only place safe from Trump and Putin (and Chechnya's Ramzan Kadyrov). From the University Herald:

Elon Musk and SpaceX may have provided a way out for people who want to escape Donald Trump's presidency.

You are completely delusional. If we started work on a Mars colonization program right now, it would take decades before anyone who isn't a billionaire or sponsored by a billionaire or nation state will be able to live there. By the time you (yes, specifically you, Bryan) get to be on Mars, Trump and Putin will have long since passed into the history books.

This would have seemed like more of a joke during the previous presidential election cycle. However, SpaceX — and specifically tech entrepreneur Elon Musk — is deadly serious about trying to send the first Martian settlers sometime in 2022 or 2024. Boeing is also eager to put boots on Mars, and soon.

Do the ****ing math, Bryan. Trump will be in power for 8 years at most. There's a very good chance that he'll be out of office by 2020. If a Mars colony gets started by 2022, then that'll be too late to "escape" Trump and Putin, isn't it?

I may have yet another backup drive for not only humanity, but also progress... That is if I complete my Masters program at my university in time... :)

Wow. So you're saying that you, some kid going to university right now, have a fool proof plan to "give humanity a backup drive" (Jesus Christ what a stupid metaphor) once you make your masters.

Tell me, are you secretly a billionaire? Are you the beneficiary of some weird inheritance scheme where, upon your completion of a Master's degree, you suddenly get access to millions of dollars of funding?
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Tell me, are you secretly a billionaire? Are you the beneficiary of some weird inheritance scheme where, upon your completion of a Master's degree, you suddenly get access to millions of dollars of funding?
And if so, why are you wasting your time here?
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
Just joking. Just asking whether you've watched the Mars TV series on NatGeo and share your thoughts here.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Your "joking" is indistinguishable from posts that you seem to be making seriously.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

You are completely delusional.
Quoting this because, to be blunt :

Bryan, while the things you posts about are often of interest (being related to space exploration & such), you always come out spouting geopolitical paranoid gibberish that is completely unrelated to whatever you are posting, to a downright hilarious degree.

And because people tend to read what you post before looking at what you post about, the fact that your initial post comes off as mad ramblings is going to turn away most forumites. And over time, more and more people will dismiss your posts out of hand, tuning them out as incoherrent background noise to be ignored, because nobody will want to waste time attempting to decipher them.

Offline DefCynodont119

• Steam
I agree with AdmiralRalwood and The E, completely.

Look, I'm all for space colonization and whatnot, but It will take time. and "they" will be long gone by then.  In the immortal words of Douglas Adams: Don't panic.

It's just not healthy for you to focus all your attention on the people you dislike, even if they do deserve to be blasted from orbit.

Bryan, If you want to make the world a better place, you should donate to science research and health organizations; and/or try to be a kinder person in general.
Giving yourself too much World anxiety could really F* your life up with an endless barrage of Existential crises.  Calm down. I understand that's hard but thinking about something else, Anything else, will help you.

And don't worry about convening humanity to go to Mars, we would still have a bazillion reasons to go even if Life on Earth was perfect.
Getting a better understanding of the Red Planet for one, Expanding our horizons; And seeing Olympus Mons, Mars's massive canyons, The Martian Drag Queen contest, and those massive sand dunes made out of Iron Oxide. .
Mars is just awesome. And Space tourism will be big. It could be out of our life times, but IT WILL BE BIG $$$ AND BIG SCIENCE when it happens.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 05:59:09 am by DefCynodont119 »
My gift from Freespace to Cities Skylines:  http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=639891299

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter

Look, I'm all for space colonization and whatnot, but It will take time. and "they" will be long gone by then.  In the immortal words of Douglas Adams: Don't panic.

It's just not healthy for you to focus all your attention on the people you dislike, even if they do deserve to be blasted from orbit.

Bryan, If you want to make the world a better place, you should donate to science research and health organizations; and/or try to be a kinder person in general.
Giving yourself too much World anxiety could really F* your life up with an endless barrage of Existential crises.  Calm down. I understand that's hard but thinking about something else, Anything else, will help you.

And don't worry about convening humanity to go to Mars, we would still have a bazillion reasons to go even if Life on Earth was perfect.
Getting a better understanding of the Red Planet for one, Expanding our horizons; And seeing Olympus Mons, Mars's massive canyons, The Martian Drag Queen contest, and those massive sand dunes made out of Iron Oxide. .
Mars is just awesome. And Space tourism will be big. It could be out of our life times, but IT WILL BE BIG $$$ AND BIG SCIENCE when it happens.
I agree with you, DefCynodont119. The E and AdmiralRalwood is right.

To me, going to Mars (and beyond) is more than just a matter of biological survival. It's just a preservation of individual freedom, human rights and liberty, especially in the wake of a Trump win in the US election. I know it's a challenge. Confined to one planet, humans are at risk of going the way of the dinosaurs if something in the form of an asteroid, world war or climate change destroys virtually the civilized world we're living in. Even they survive these disasters, they found themselves imprisoned by Russia (and its eternally irreplaceable leader Vladimir?) under the guise of its special mission in their spiritual renewal. I'm keeping this to myself.

And as for donating to science research and health organizations, where can I start? Locally, here in my country? Or internationally?

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline Mikes

I agree with you, DefCynodont119. The E and AdmiralRalwood is right.

To me, going to Mars (and beyond) is more than just a matter of biological survival. It's just a preservation of individual freedom, human rights and liberty, especially in the wake of a Trump win in the US election. I know it's a challenge. Confined to one planet, humans are at risk of going the way of the dinosaurs if something in the form of an asteroid, world war or climate change destroys virtually the civilized world we're living in. Even they survive these disasters, they found themselves imprisoned by Russia (and its eternally irreplaceable leader Vladimir?) under the guise of its special mission in their spiritual renewal. I'm keeping this to myself.

And as for donating to science research and health organizations, where can I start? Locally, here in my country? Or internationally?

Yup sign up with some billionaires company to go to Mars, hence, in an environment hostile to human life, be completely dependent uppon said billionaires company who effectively runs the entire conolization effort - with no way that you could pay for your return or return at all (or vote for another company leader ;-) company != democracy, duh :P) if you don't like how things are going in a couple of years. Finally you will be "free" of the "evil" democracy you live in on earth!

Sounds like a plan! I mean, what could go wrong? :-)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 02:33:51 pm by Mikes »

Offline watsisname

especially in the wake of a Trump win in the US election

Stop.

imprisoned by Russia (and its eternally irreplaceable leader Vladimir?)

For ****'s sake, just stop.  You are like the worst poster in the history of terrible posters.  This could actually be a cool and interesting thread if you didn't feel it necessary to constantly make remarks about irrelevant ****.

Offline DefCynodont119

• Steam
Sorry if this comes across as rude, but honestly:

This could actually be a cool and interesting thread if you didn't feel it necessary to constantly make remarks about irrelevant ****.

Bryan, while the things you posts about are often of interest (being related to space exploration & such), you always come out spouting geopolitical paranoid gibberish that is completely unrelated to whatever you are posting, to a downright hilarious degree.

Calm down. I understand that's hard but thinking/posting about something else, Anything else, will help you.

Your "joking" is indistinguishable from posts that you seem to be making seriously.

I don't want this thread to train wreck itself any more, so once I watch the show, I will post about it here. and nothing else.

Offline Aesaar

To me, going to Mars (and beyond) is more than just a matter of biological survival. It's just a preservation of individual freedom, human rights and liberty, especially in the wake of a Trump win in the US election.
And what exactly makes you think human societies on other planets will be any more "free" than they are here?  Any sort of viable Mars or Lunar colony will require the support of states here on Earth, and the two states most able to provide that support are...  the USA and Russia.

Lol I didn't expect to see my Sathanas here :-P

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
No. On Mars and beyond, I wouldn't expect anything.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Do the ****ing math, Bryan. Trump will be in power for 8 years at most. There's a very good chance that he'll be out of office by 2020. If a Mars colony gets started by 2022, then that'll be too late to "escape" Trump and Putin, isn't it?
You're making a very big assumption - that he doesn't succeed in becoming a dictator. His personality is exactly of the kind of person who'd try, given the chance. It would be a first for the US, but it's happened elsewhere.

Sure, it seems unthinkable. But a few months ago, we were saying "No way this clown could win, nothing to worry about". Then he won. At this point anybody who says "Trump won't try to do [something crazy], nobody would try that." is either an idiot or was not paying attention for the last year. So don't dismiss him doing the impossible. Make sure it is impossible. From what I've seen of the Americans, they could very well be conned into giving up their democracy (or just about anything else) at this point, given that someone would pitch the concept to them well enough. Well, guess what's about the only thing Trump is really good at?