Author Topic: What is your occupation?  (Read 5551 times)

Offline WeatherOp

• I forged the ban hammer. What about that?
    • http://www.geocities.com/weather_op/pageone.html?1113100476773
What is your occupation?
I figured this topic would be interesting to see what we all did when we are not posting on the internet.

I am a Water Operator. I keep the clear water flowing to the good people of our community.

Pros: Good pay and good benefits. Almost no chance of being laid off (people always need water). Under eighteen years until retirement (unless some beaeucrat grabs it)

Cons: Yes that truck with LEDS at 2am in the hail storm was probably me. Everyone puts everything in the ground now, even the kitchen sink. People really really like their grassy, flat yards, even if it wasn't grassy or flat before you dug it up.

How about yall?

« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 05:45:11 am by WeatherOp »
Decent Blacksmith, Master procrastinator.

PHD in the field of Almost Finishing Projects.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Re: What is your occupation?
I've spent most of my career to date as a field geologist in mining and resource exploration, looking for gold, base metals and iron ore. I gave up field work about eighteen months ago to finish a masters in mineral economics, so right at the moment I'm doing statistical analysis for the state Department of Mines and Petroleum.

Getting serious swivel chair spread though, so I've started looking seriously at getting back into the field. My current job is very secure, but boring as hell and the pay is pretty ordinary by private sector standards. Hopefully there's either a return to field work, or to a better paying resource industry analyst private sector role in the not too distant future for me.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Black Wolf in the field:

:P
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

i just got a job substantially based off the back of my teenaged hobbies, let's see how long i can live the dream
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Law enforcement (and because its a niche field, I'm not going to be more specific than saying I'm not a police officer).

EDIT:  *nods at PH below* "Fish police" is somewhat close, anyway.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 05:35:23 pm by MP-Ryan »
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

I recently graduated and right now I'm waiting to receive by BSc diploma. I was studying Geodesy and Cartography but we were mostly orientated on Geographic Information Systems. Also, I specialized in hydrography so I'm aiming at offshore surveyor career. So a lot of my time recently is filled with sending emails and looking for job offers. My best shot so far is a company located in Amsterdam so it's possible I'll have to find some place to live there within few next weeks.

What we will be doing there? Mostly bathymetry surveys (measuring of water depth), sonar scanning (checking the bottom for presence of wrecks, dangerous garbage or other features). And of course processing of the collected data. All these data are mostly used in creation and updating of nautical charts or in dredging projects. In short. We will be helping to make work at sea safe.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 09:52:17 am by Col.Hornet »

I used to be studying Earth Sciences at the VU in Amsterdam, choosing the Geomorphology instead of the Geology path. So basically: flood defenses, soil, the weather, cleaning up the mess Black Wolf makes, that sorta thing. Unfortunately, I got hit with some pretty severe mental health issues which made further pursuit in the career impossible, so I study IT now. That whole CISCO networking thing seems interesting.

Heh, I was thinking about going into the Geodesy field. It's wildly interesting.

Law enforcement (and because its a niche field, I'm not going to be more specific than saying I'm not a police officer).

we all know that you work in the fish police ryan
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Novachen

• The one and only capella supernova
    • Twitter
I am a game-producer and game-/graphic-designer and working as a freelance game-/graphic-designer for other development studios mostly. In the last couple of years, i am more involved in indie games instead in games for the big studios, because they rely more on pure in-house development since a few years.

My financial life is mostly secured by a license-based Videocapture program for games that i have developed a few years back. This program is especially designed for Game Developing Studios and Gaming Magazines. And this program is only restricted to that kind of customers, because companies spend much money if you guarantee a 24/7 support that include the implementation of new features on demand, within a couple of hours.

On commercial games, i was only responsible for very few mobile (Smartphone/Tablet) and handheld games (openPandora mostly) so far. At least that are not Free-2-Play. :)

Cons: It is sometimes very hard, to get a contract. Also in Indie you can get easily some communication issues, because the employer can not describe exactly what he wants. Also the payment is also sometimes a very difficult chapter.
But the biggest problem i have is, that i have to invest my free-time to develop my own games, because i can get only money from them, when they are finished ;)
Female FreeSpace 2 pilot since 1999.
Former Global moderator in the German FreeSpace Galaxy Forum.
Developer of NTP - A Multi-Language Translation Library Interface, which allows to play FreeSpace in YOUR Language.

Is one of my releases broken or not working? Please send a PM here, on Discord at @novachen or on Twitter @NovachenFS2, a public tweet or write a reply in my own release threads here on HLP, because these are the only threads i am still participating in.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Since retiring from EOD,  I've worked in HMP Chelmsford "customer facing" ensuring the little cherubs did whatever means of meagre income I allocated them.

I now work in a court as an administration officer.  Drafting court orders and getting drunk with judges.   I'm often called upon to help de-escalate issues due to lack of security in the corridor.  I can out shout most of the probates but I've never had to ;)

Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
I've moved out of QA testing, and am now a level designer at Chair Entertainment.

Living the dream, yo.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
I like to stare at the sun.

I got my BSc and MSc in Mechanical Engineering several years ago. My studies were extremely scattered, and my thesis could only be considered "mechanical engineering" under an interpretation stretched practically to breaking. (Optics, quantum-based thermodynamics, laser induced fluorescence spectroscopy, nanomaterials characterization, and the incidental fact that the system we were studying involves a combustion reaction which has traditionally been co-opted by mech-e's... it was pretty thin and I was well out of my competence but didn't realize that until it was too late and the only way out was through.)

After that, we made a hasty return to friendlier places and people. It was the middle of a recession, so I took the only job offer I had.

I design tools for use in oil, gas, and hopefully someday geothermal wells. I'm pretty thoroughly entrenched now in the industry I once swore to help destroy. Life + my skill set + my wife's work left few options. I tried looking briefly, and I found I could have a great design career in an automatic door company. To no one's surprise, I opted for the devil I knew. It pays decently well, and I'm fairly good at it.

I could humor myself that I'm trying to fix the system from inside, but that's too sadly ridiculous a notion to even be funny.

I salve my conscience with the hope that all this tech and knowledge  we're developing may one day be put to use in enhanced geothermal wells. That and hoping all the blowback over fracking will force stricter enforcement of good well cementation practise and verification.  One day, maybe I'll have put together enough of a network of knowledgeable people to start something on our own. But that may as well be  beyond an event horizon, for now.
(Edited for spelling and gross grammar errors)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 07:31:09 pm by perihelion »
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
It took me 5 years to barely stumble through a B.S. in Physics (God I wish I'd gone engineering), and nothing for a few years after that when grad school didn't seem feasible for any number of reasons, followed by some part-time tutoring.  At the moment I'm a high school physics teacher.  To be frank I find it rather unfulfilling, and I'd much rather be doing something else if I could figure out what the hell that should be.  Though to be even franker, given the opportunity, I'd gladly take doing nothing whatsoever.

Offline Enioch

• Alternative History Word Writer
Archaeologist. Just finished my doctoral thesis on a regional study of the 11th-7th century BCE northeastern Aegean; now looking forward to at least a year (possibly more) of a detailed study of weapons from the area (including some really fancy bronze shields with relief decoration).

Also looking forward to at least a month of excavation this summer.
'Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent'  -Salvor Hardin, "Foundation"

So don't take a hammer to your computer. ;-)

Offline WeatherOp

• I forged the ban hammer. What about that?
    • http://www.geocities.com/weather_op/pageone.html?1113100476773
I got my BSc and MSc in Mechanical Engineering several years ago. My studies were extremely scattered, and my thesis could only be considered "mechanical engineering" under an interpretation stretched practically to breaking. (Optics, quantum-based thermodynamics, laser induced fluorescence spectroscopy, nanomaterials characterization, and the incidental fact that the system we were studying involves a combustion reaction which has traditionally been co-opted by mech-e's... it was pretty thin and I was well out of my competence but didn't realize that until it was too late and the only way out was through.)

After that, we made a hasty return to friendlier places and people. It was the middle of a recession, so I took the only job offer I had.

I design tools for use in oil, gas, and hopefully someday geothermal wells. I'm pretty thoroughly entrenched now in the industry I once swore to help destroy. Life + my skill set + my wife's work left few options. I tried looking briefly, and I found I could have a great design career in an automatic door company. To no one's surprise, I opted for the devil I knew. It pays decently well, and I'm fairly good at it.

I could humor myself that I'm trying to fix the system from inside, but that's too sadly ridiculous a notion to even be funny.

I salve my conscience with the hope that all this tech and knowledge  we're developing may one day be put to use in enhanced geothermal wells. That and hoping all the blowback over fracking will force stricter enforcement of good well cementation practise and verification.  One day, maybe I'll have put together enough of a network of knowledgeable people to start something on our own. But that may as well be  beyond an event horizon, for now.
(Edited for spelling and gross grammar errors)

Sheash, get out of that and design tools for water and wastewater operation and maintenance. Probably make a killing over the next ten-twenty years as this very important and ignored infrastructure needs replacing.
Decent Blacksmith, Master procrastinator.

PHD in the field of Almost Finishing Projects.

Well that's a lot of super educated jobs around here. Like you're all protagonists in movies or something. Dekker was literally Hurt Locker...

I'm an apprentice electrician. I put wires in walls and make lights turn on. Ideally.

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
I program stuff in Python using Django. It occasionally involves more interesting things, but feels stagnant atm. I didn't expect more from the first job.
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
Web developer. I'm currently working on industrial production control systems using web technologies.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Luis Dias

I'm an architect. I've basically designed half of the projects in my office, listed in the projects' page in our website. You can take a look, here, http://www.jbmg-arquitectos.pt/en/