Bobboau's original remodeling.
5 (5.6%)
Galemp's bold remapping.
69 (76.7%)
I never liked the Orion anyway...
10 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 73

Voting closed: October 10, 2005, 03:49:19 am

Author Topic: The Ultimate Orion  (Read 32325 times)

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
I hereby present to you, Hard Light Productions, my painstaking remap of Bobboau's high poly GTD Orion,
with fixed geometry, adjusted LODs and debris, and animated glowpoints. Fully compatible with existing mods and missions; just plop it in your Models directory.

Enjoy. :)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2005, 03:50:13 am by 510 »
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
Hoooooooly ****!

Now THAT is an Orion!
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Ooh baby :yes:
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Very impressive indeed!

I don't suppose you could put up a comparison pic of the original, Bobs and your model side by side?

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
While truly beautiful, nothing can ever undo the chop-job that was the remodel...
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Primus

• Ranger
  • Lusus Naturae
Cool, I love it. :p
No surrender, no retreat.

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
nice model, same old gripes with beam cannons on teeny or wrong looking turrets, however, but can be overlooked 'cuz of the sheer awesomeness of the model.
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

someone put this in the SCP media VPs

Offline Nuclear1

****ing beautiful.

*downloads i-****ing-mmediately*
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Originally posted by Kalfireth
I don't suppose you could put up a comparison pic of the original, Bobs and your model side by side?

Certainly. They have to be pretty big to get any sense of scale or detail, so I'm going to link them instead of posting the images.

Starboard side, Before and After. All the detail in the curved parts behind the fighterbay was lost with the original mapping.

Port side, Before and After. I tried to follow the 'Rule of Four' when mapping this; there were so many individual modules that I mapped them with varying textures..

Antenna array, Before and After. I'm particularly proud of the job I did on these.

Poop Deck, Before and After. Note the new radar dishes, using fewer polies than Bobboau's.

Aft engine block, Before and After. I think I did a much better job on the engines themselves, and used the capital01-01a texture to accentuate the rounded end of the extrusion edged with lights.

Overall I'm very happy with it. Bobboau's model did the Orion justice scale-wise, I'm only trying to carry that over to the texturing. Huge thanks to him for doing this in the first place. Thanks to Styxx, too, for his MAX converter and support.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Dude.  You've actually made Bobboau's Orion look good. :eek2:

Well done. :yes:

Offline Roanoke

Originally posted by Galemp
Port side, Before and After. I tried to follow the 'Rule of Four' when mapping this; there were so many individual modules that I mapped them with varying textures..

"Rule of Four" ?

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
This remap shows that texturing is still 50% of making a model.

Congratulations Galemp! This ROCKS!

Bobb did a really good job on the ship - the stock textures though actually hid all that detail.
Your job brings it to life.

I can't wait to see how it looks shine and glow mapped.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Your texturing finally gives Bobboau's model the justice it deserves.  Incredible work.  That's the way FreeSpace's best capital ship is supposed to look.  Plop that thing in the Media VPs ASAP! :D

Offline Kie99

Wow, that rocks.
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
I am a revolutionary.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I'll be honest - while I do like any notion of a better and more detailed Orion, I'm not too fond of those.
The model is detailed and good looking, but a bit too detailed in my oppinion. It has over 11000 polys (more then my Whitehall station) and I feel much of it is wasted. By the loojks of it, half of that polycount goes on the sensor array.

The texturing is good, but could also be better - especialyl on some places.

So ther you have it - it might look like I'm too mean or something but that's not the case. I do like them, but I feel as thought something is missing.

I actualy started work on my own higher-poly Orion, but it will be in the mid-poly range (5000-6000 or so). Work is going fast and smooth so far:D
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
This is a perfect example of where being a poly-whore is a bad thing, especially when Modelview numbers are used.  The main body is only a smidgeon over 5k tris (and has far more detail than a lot of 5k poly models I've seen for it) and that's the real concern.  Now this orion has a TON of subobjects, which may be a legitimate criticism; its polycount however is not.

Also, while it's nice to see another version out there, I am not as fond of this mapping as I could be.  Call me a purist, but I don't like the use of the cargo texture.  The sensors array is very nicely done, however, and I'm glad someone made a better version of the radar dishes than my knock-up version.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Same here, don't like the cargo texture. Replace that with something else from the original Orion and it'd be perfect though.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Truth be told, IMHO the use of the cargo texture is justified - for no other reason than the fact, the ship need *genuine new* textures to improove it any further.

Yeah, it won't be really canon - but the ship's refinements went past the point where recycling would do.

Galemp did the the *best* that the canon maps had to offer, and made a sensible remapping that would be a good (and so far best) mapping to use as a reference when creating the new texture set.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan