Author Topic: mainhall.tbl problem  (Read 5406 times)

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
The centers of the doors should match their locations, so that when you right-click it cycles through their actual positions and not the FS2 positions.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
For me, they're almost perfect. They just skip a pixel or two to the left when I move my cursor over them.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
We didn't do much behind-the-scenes editing of them, so yeah the right-click cycle doesn't work, and neither does the Help screen. And the pixel-skipping is irritating, but infuriating to fix; it comes about from the change in screen resolution to 1024x768.

Maybe we'll adjust it in the next release.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
I don't think Cobra read what I said.  :ick:

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
I thought I'd post my thoughts in it, after all it is about the mainhall. ;)
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The main hall is an extremely low priority for us right now, since we have so many other things to get ready for the next release.  However, if someone is willing to submit a patch, or a fixed version, we'll include it in the official 3.1 pack.

Offline Water

Re: mainhall.tbl problem
Here is a Galatea mainhall patch (pixel skipping + r click location)
http://files.filefront.com/interface+Galatea2zip/;10081338;/fileinfo.html
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 01:45:29 am by Water »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Hmm.

Okay, first, thanks much for doing this for us. :)

Now a few question.  Why did you include a new main hall background?  What's different about it?  And how did you generate it?

Offline Water

Hmm.

Okay, first, thanks much for doing this for us. :)

Now a few question.  Why did you include a new main hall background?  What's different about it?  And how did you generate it?
Because you can't fix the problem without it.  :p

It intergrates the first frame from each of the ani's

Aniview32 to save every first frame. Gimp to put them in the correct place and provide the pixel co-ordinates for the table. The second set of co-ordinates just sorts out the right click thing.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Because you can't fix the problem without it.  :p
Don't be flippant.  I'm not going to include this fix unless/until I'm satisfied with it.

It intergrates the first frame from each of the ani's

Aniview32 to save every first frame. Gimp to put them in the correct place and provide the pixel co-ordinates for the table. The second set of co-ordinates just sorts out the right click thing.
And what, exactly, does that mean?  Did you just paste the first frame of each door animation onto the main hall background?  In that case, you didn't fix the problem.  There will most likely still be pixel offsets; they'll just be in the background as opposed to in the animations.

Offline Water

Don't be flippant.  I'm not going to include this fix unless/until I'm satisfied with it.
Not my problem. I'm satisfied with it.

And what, exactly, does that mean?  Did you just paste the first frame of each door animation onto the main hall background?  In that case, you didn't fix the problem.  There will most likely still be pixel offsets; they'll just be in the background as opposed to in the animations.
most likely? Pixel offsets exist or they don't. I'll leave you to judge if you are satisfied with it.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Both of you, show more respect for each other.

Besides, the whole thing is pretty ugly, since it's been resized up from 800x600 without resampling. Water, thanks for fixing the little annoyance. Having the animations 'jump' one pixel is a lot more annoying than having the doors be ever-so-slightly misaligned on the background which already has heavily artifacts. We appreciate your help and would be glad to put this into the next release.

I haven't seen the Bastion main hall for a while. Are there similar problems there?
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Yeah, they're on the ready room door and the two doors below it, I think.

[EDIT] Wait, no. Everything has pixel skipping.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 10:50:47 am by Cobra »

Offline Water

I haven't seen the Bastion main hall for a while. Are there similar problems there?
I would like to have a look at the other hall. If you are able to provide me with a Bastion pilot, I'll get it fixed.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Besides, the whole thing is pretty ugly, since it's been resized up from 800x600 without resampling.
Actually, it was scaled down from the hi-res render available at Descent Network.  Pasting the first frames of each of the door animations (which were scaled up from the low-res ones) onto the background would add artifacts not present on the original.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
Er, I seem to remember only the Bastion main hall being in high-res...