Author Topic: Campaingn for both single and multi  (Read 4430 times)

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Campaingn for both single and multi
I don't know what type(s) of campaigns may be in the works but have you considered designing them so they are playable in both single and multi?  Something to think about if you haven't.  I know some of the features from single aren't possible in multi.  Designing the missions so they will work in multi as well as single would make it a lot easier in the future if those features become available.  You also get 2 missions for the FREDing of one.  Of course on the downside it would be a lot more initial work to balance the missions for both. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: Campaingn for both single and multi
To be honest although that can work for simple campaigns the more complex you make a mission the harder it becomes. The idea of turning Birth of a Legend into a multiplayer mission without drastically cutting it down would give me the cold sweats and if it comes down cutting features out of the SP missions in order to make them multiplayer compatible I think you can guess what my response would be. :)

That said I'm not averse to making a cut-down multiplayer version  of some of the missions whenever it is possible.  If it's not I'd rather just make a new multiplayer coop campaign instead.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
I was thinking along the lines of already having messaging and that kind of stuff setup so it would be easy to make it multi without loosing any of the plot or having the message come from a ship that may not be in the mission in multi (AI player sent home for example).  Not saying take all the bells an whistles out of single but just keep what is needed to make it multi in mind when creating it. 

Why is it is-multi just popped into my mind?
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline Mr. R

Multiplayer Co-Op would rock :)

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
It's the one style of Multiplay I enjoy, multiple people vs the AI, otherwise I just get my butt handed to me ;)

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
One thing I've noticed from TBP is that multiplayer coop is my preferred style of play. Maybe it's just that we're a friendlier bunch but we almost exclusively play coop on Thursday nighs.

So for that reason you can bet there will be multiplayer coop either on release or very quickly afterwards. :)

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
well, in that case more people should start fredding coop campaigns.
Hm, maybe I should do a few more operations?  :lol:

Anyway, I disagree with FUB. Please give us an outstanding campaign with a design focused on SinglePlayer.
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Shade

Hm, maybe I should do a few more operations?
You volunteering to make something similar for Diaspora? ;)
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Anyway, I disagree with FUB. Please give us an outstanding campaign with a design focused on SinglePlayer.

Yep. We'll just make two campaigns. Multi is much easier to FRED anyway (in terms of how quickly you can put a campaign together at least. I think IPA took less than a month to make Path of Blood single-handed after all). 

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
Hm, maybe I should do a few more operations?
You volunteering to make something similar for Diaspora? ;)

no. Not yet.
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Most excellent! I haven't played online much since my days of StarCraft & WarCraft II; afflicting the computer horribly is among one of my favorite pasttimes... :D

-Thaeris
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke