Author Topic: Joystick control intentionally difficult?  (Read 7674 times)

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Re: Joystick control intentionally difficult?
More to the point, when you get in close, you force a mouse user to have to move their arm in sweeping motions to keep up, and lift the mouse off the table to do it. A mouse user can't really keep up in <250m distances without extremely high dpi and a large surface to work on (or just typical "predict where they're going to go" experience, but all 3 get this). The fact joystick users can also roll to make even tighter turns and have better throttle control helps too.

At a distance of >500m, the mouse user should have no problems at all pegging them before they get close unless the joystick user is good enough to evade. Going head-on with a mouse user is typically suicide. You need to get to their sides somehow, force them to turn hard for long periods of time.

Keyboard takes turning to an extreme. You should be able to out turn anyone more or less your skill level on the other controller types. Problem is you lose almost all your ability to aim until you get good.
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline torc

• Diaspora SFX engineer
Glad that almost all players fing the different hardware pretty much balanced :)

As i said before, i'm fine whit the current settings...seems that some people needs more aiming  practice and all will be fine.

Myself too in some MP session had great results, but after having  a lot of practice and  set my stick as best i can for my flight style :)
indossare una divisa può avere un prezzo alto...ma a volte...è troppo alto!!! Bill Adama

Mouse will always be limited by real estate where a joystick user can eventually learn to fight at range as well as have the mechanical advantage of infighting. Like previous stick drivers said, keep tweaking until you find the sweetspot settings. I have a friend with a mousepad that takes up half his desk to make those huge sweeping moves and flies like a demon in another game, so u are not disadvantaged, anymore than a stick is to at range fighting. Just keep tweaking and practicing to eliminate that frustration.

Offline festivefire

• I love the smell of napalm in the morning!
    • Minecraft
I thought the drift on the joystick was a good go at semi-realism. since these ships are rcs controled, when you push the stick it activates a thruster on the nose, pushing it down, and when you let go of the stick either you or the flight computer must fire a thruster on the bottom of the nose to zero out your rotational velocity. I like it personaly, and got used to it after years of playing orbiter
Digital Fire

Offline TwentyPercentCooler

• Operates at 375 kelvin
Mouse will always be limited by real estate where a joystick user can eventually learn to fight at range as well as have the mechanical advantage of infighting. Like previous stick drivers said, keep tweaking until you find the sweetspot settings. I have a friend with a mousepad that takes up half his desk to make those huge sweeping moves and flies like a demon in another game, so u are not disadvantaged, anymore than a stick is to at range fighting. Just keep tweaking and practicing to eliminate that frustration.

Also, some of us use trackballs. Moving your thumb isn't nearly as inconvenient as having to lift the mouse off of the desk. Also, just because of their nature, they can be set up to have excellent sensitivity and accuracy of motion within a small area while making small corrections, while still being able to make the cursor fly around at ludicrous speed. I always liked playing FS with a trackball, although I've been using one for over 15 years now.