Author Topic: OpenAL simply refuses to install  (Read 21689 times)

Offline Objekt

OpenAL simply refuses to install
I seem to be having completely different problems with OpenAL than anyone else.  I can work around the launcher crash problem, by using the Version 5.3 launcher.  I cannot work around this OpenAL problem; if I can't get it to install, I won't have sound, in which case what is the point of playing?

Here's what happens:

I try to install the latest version of OpenAL, version 1.1, which is in a little (764kb) file called oalinst.exe.

The OpenAL license agreement window pops up.  I click "OK" to continue.

A dialog box pops up, claiming some OpenAL files are "in use," without naming them naturally, and that I will have to restart my machine for the install to complete.

So I restart.

OpenAL does NOT finish installing.  I know this because when I try to run SCP, I am told I have no OpenAL, and thus will not get sound.

Possibly helpful info:

1) I am running Windows XP Pro SP2.

2) Running Norton Antivirus Corporate Edition (probably has nothing to do with it, but who knows)

3) Updated my sound drivers to the latest (October 2006) version yesterday.  Sound hardware is a SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS.

4) I run Spybot Search and Destroy anti-spyware utility in the background.  I also have the TeaTimer component activated.  It is a little utility that detects any program trying to make changes to the Windows Registry, giving the option to allow/disallow/undo/etc.  Now, lots of intsallers for programs want to change registry values; normally, Spybot pops up a dialog, I approve, and the other program's installer continues on its merry way.  I have received no such prompt while attempting to install OpenAL, so I don't think this is the problem either.  Again, I just mention it "in case."

5) System is built on an Abit NF7-S 2.0 motherboard.  It has built in nVidia MCP sound hardware, but I don't use it.  I have the drivers for it disabled in Device Manager, so as not to conflict with the SoundBlaster.  I've also tried running the OAL installer with the onboard sound drivers enabled, but it doesn't make a difference.

6) I have plenty of ram (1 GB) and the video card is recent enough (ATI Radeon 9700 Pro).  This same machine ran SCP 3.6.7 just dandy, and I didn't have any of this OAL BS going on.

7) Doing any of the above in Safe Mode makes not a bit of difference.

Seriously, what gives?!   :mad:

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Re: OpenAL simply refuses to install
Digging around with google...

http://forums.3drealms.com/vb/archive/index.php/t-18638.html

Basically what they did was:

DickieDoo
06-28-2006, 07:19 PM
Hi,
I got the same problem that was described in the begining of the thread. I can play with the sound card deactivated but of course I'd rather play with sound. I downloaded OpenAL but the installation doesn't work. I just says: "Some OpenAL files were in use. A reboot will be required to complete installation." Of course, a reboot doesn't change anything. Anyone got an idea what to do now? I do not have a Creative sound card, it's from a company named Ultron (but I think it's EAX compatible).

I had the same problem and was able to figure out a fix. After I had attempted to update OpenAL and got the same error message you did, I checked the windows\system32 folder and found "OpenAL32.dll" (dated 2003) and OpenAL32.new (dated 2 days ago). Renamed .dll to .old. Renamed .new to .dll. Ran the OpenAL installer again - this time it claimed that the installation was successful. Might have rebooted (can't remember), but next time I tried to run the demo, the dreaded gray screen did not show itself. Hope this helps.

By the way 3DR, the demo was an incredible experience. Brought me back to the days when the Half-Life demo blew me away. You guys have done a great job - REALLY looking forward to the release.
Gravespawn Sovereign
06-29-2006, 06:00 PM
I had the same problem and was able to figure out a fix. After I had attempted to update OpenAL and got the same error message you did, I checked the windows\system32 folder and found "OpenAL32.dll" (dated 2003) and OpenAL32.new (dated 2 days ago). Renamed .dll to .old. Renamed .new to .dll. Ran the OpenAL installer again - this time it claimed that the installation was successful. Might have rebooted (can't remember), but next time I tried to run the demo, the dreaded gray screen did not show itself. Hope this helps.

OMG, that worked! Thanks a lot, I had already given up hope. Hm, I originally wanted to go to bed now, but I gotta play the demo a bit more...:)

By the way 3DR, the demo was an incredible experience. Brought me back to the days when the Half-Life demo blew me away. You guys have done a great job - REALLY looking forward to the release.
That's true, the demo is awesome! I was really hoping that the game would be as great as it looks from the videos and now I'm happy that it does. Can't wait for the release.

I have not needed to do that so dunno if it helps...
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline Objekt

That worked!  Thanks!

Only problem I have  now is, the Version 5.5 Launcher crashes when I point to the location of the 3.6.9 .exe. 

However, as a workaround, I'm using the Version 5.3 Launcher.  Seems to be trouble-free so far.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
that's 5.5a, right?

Offline CaptJosh

Using the 5.3 launcher is a bad idea. It has stuff in it no longer supported by SCP. You need to find a way to get Launcher 5.5a working or you could have some major trouble if you turn on a switch that's totally outdated.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline Objekt

that's 5.5a, right?

Maybe I had 5.5 without the "a."  I just extracted the no-kiddin' Launcher 5.5a from the 3.6.9 Windows uber-pack (3.6.9.rar), used it, and everything works!  No more crashes or things refusing to install.

Thanks!

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
:cool: