Author Topic: Zombie dogs in the lab  (Read 27337 times)

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Zombie dogs in the lab
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/06/29/zombie_dogs/

[q]US scientists at the Papa Doc Duvalier Center for Reanimation Studies* are celebrating ground-breaking research during which they successfully raised dogs from the grave after several hours of "clinical death".

According to news.com.au, the technique involves draining the mutts' blood and replacing it with a saline solution a couple of degrees above zero. The body temperature drops to around 7°C, provoking a cessation of breathing, heart and brain activity and rendering the subject officially dead.

To reanimate the zombie canine, the latter-day Herbert Wests reintroduce the blood while administering 100 per cent oxygen and electric shocks to jump-start the heart. The dog is apparently none the worse for its near-permanent-death experience and reportedly suffers no physical or brain damage as a result of this macabre experiment. We assume that post-resurrection mental capacity is judged by throwing a stick across the lab and seeing if the four-legged member of the Tontons Macoutes runs after it with tail-wagging enthusiasm.

Naturally, there is some perfectly legitimate science behind all this. The team reckons the technique could be used to temporarily suspend battlefield casualties, during which surgeons could repair the damage before jump-starting the bewildered grunt. One unnamed army doc enthused: "The results are stunning. I think in 10 years we will be able to prevent death in a certain segment of those using this technology."

The scientists plan to reanimate a human subject within a year. Any reader wishing to participate in this historic moment is advised to wrap up warm and fully acquaint him or herself with the works of HP Lovecraft

*Ok, we made that up. It's actually the Safar Centre for Resuscitation Research in Pittsburgh.
[/q]

I'll just start off with the :wtf: smilies, shall I?  Lovely.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
In a way I can see their plan actually. Freeze dry people on the scene of an accident, transport them to hospital and then fix them up before bringing them back to life.

Could actually be very useful in non-military applications (in fact I see this being more useful in civilian applications than miltary ones).

The Reg are giving an odd spin on it but if you go back an hundred years and told people that you had a revolutionary process that involved taking people who are nearly dead, cutting them open to remove the heart and then sticking that heart in another person in order to replace their own damaged heart the reaction would have been pretty much the same.

These days only Jehovah's witnesses bat an eyelid at heart transplants.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Pood dogs...those sick bastards...
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by karajorma
In a way I can see their plan actually. Freeze dry people on the scene of an accident, transport them to hospital and then fix them up before bringing them back to life.

Could actually be very useful in non-military applications (in fact I see this being more useful in civilian applications than miltary ones).

The Reg are giving an odd spin on it but if you go back an hundred years and told people that you had a revolutionary process that involved taking people who are nearly dead, cutting them open to remove the heart and then sticking that heart in another person in order to replace their own damaged heart the reaction would have been pretty much the same.

These days only Jehovah's witnesses bat an eyelid at heart transplants.

Replacing all the blood in the body with near-frozen saline, though?  Seems a bit bizarre.  Especially if used on bleedy-people.

Offline Zarax

Hmm, interesting... I guess if this could have reflections on hibernation experiments...
The Best is Yet to Come

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Originally posted by aldo_14

Especially if used on bleedy-people.

What in the name of Sir Isaac Newton are you talking about?!

Actually, i'm thinking that, even with the immediate benefits obvious here, Animal Rights Activist loonies are going to have a field day over doing this to Dogs...:p

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
What the...?? I cut OFF all outside communication! How'd they find this out??
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
A bit unrelated, but... In resident Evil, they have zombie dogs, right? How come zombie dogs can run and jump around, but zombie humans can't? :p
That was Nico's stupid question of the week.
I think I'll ask a stupid question per week starting from now.
SCREW CANON!

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Originally posted by TrashMan
Pood dogs...those sick bastards...

If you ever get cancer. Take an asprin. Lose an arm, asprin. Get an infection, witch hazel. Need a heart transplant, die.

Every single drug and medical technique was pioneered using animal testing. Don't like it, then don't use ANY of them.

I'm so sick of anti-vivisectionists acting as though it's wrong to experiment on animals when the techniques developed as a result save human lives. Especially as the same bastards who complain the loudest about it are always the first in line to use the products of those experiments when they get sick.

Originally posted by aldo_14
Replacing all the blood in the body with near-frozen saline, though?  Seems a bit bizarre.  Especially if used on bleedy-people.

As I said, hacking the heart out of one person to put into another probably seemed odd too at one point. Thankfully we didn't have bio-ethicists back then to tell us it was wrong. :rolleyes:

It sounds weird but basically its a high temperature version of cryogenics. Freeze the body so that it doesn't degrade, fix the problem, revive the patient. But not using cryogenic temperatures they get round the whole problem of ice crystals breaking the cells open.

I'll conceed that it seems like an odd way to deal with an enormous bleeding wound but if you think about it, it's much easier to replace the losses of cold saline than it is to replace blood.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Mefustae

What in the name of Sir Isaac Newton are you talking about?!

They're (talking of) replacing peoples bloody with cooled saline solution.  How's that going to work with internal or external bleeding?

And what happens when they reintroduce the blood - what if some of the saline has 'leaked'? What're the consequences of having near-frozen saline solution sloshing about in your chest cavity?

Offline Nico

• Venom
You're sure that's not scam? :p
Isn't HLP awfully slow today?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2005, 07:52:46 am by 83 »
SCREW CANON!

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
As I said, hacking the heart out of one person to put into another probably seemed odd too at one point. Thankfully we didn't have bio-ethicists back then to tell us it was wrong. :rolleyes:

It sounds weird but basically its a high temperature version of cryogenics. Freeze the body so that it doesn't degrade, fix the problem, revive the patient. But not using cryogenic temperatures they get round the whole problem of ice crystals breaking the cells open.

I'll conceed that it seems like an odd way to deal with an enormous bleeding wound but if you think about it, it's much easier to replace the losses of cold saline than it is to replace blood.

Don't get me wrong, I can see the reasoning behind it.  But it is a bit 'odd' to have a treatment that requires 'killing' the patient beforehand IMO; and it'd surely be very difficult to test on humans.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I agree woth that. They'd have to get someone with a cancer or something that was considered inoperable due to the danger of killing the patient.

Depending on how this works they might be able to prevent brain damage for long enough to repair the damage the operation did.

Faced with either death or a slim chance of life I know what I'd pick.

Offline Nico

• Venom
I agree woth that. They'd have to get someone with a cancer or something that was considered inoperable due to the danger of killing the patient.  

I think they would rather go the Robocop way. You get a deadly road accident for exemple, and do the blood swapping with one of the casualities.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Rictor

• Murdered by Brazilian Psychopath
Wouldn't it be more efficient to transplant the brain into a healthy body? And not just a regular body, but one with superhuman strength and reflexes, able to crush those who foolishly oppose it!

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
I read about this in Scientific American, thought it was awesome. :yes:
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Originally posted by Nico
I think they would rather go the Robocop way. You get a deadly road accident for exemple, and do the blood swapping with one of the casualities.

Problem with that is that it's an experimental procedure and it would be hard to get the permission of anyone who actually needs it.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Tell them it'll stop aging for a few hours and you'll get them queuing up to be subjects.......

Offline pyro-manic

• Flambé
Interesting indeed. I approve. :yes:
Any fool can pull a trigger...

Offline Ford Prefect

• 8D
  • Intelligent Dasein
I'm a little unsettled by the latest photos from the lab....

EDIT: Images never work. :mad:
« Last Edit: June 29, 2005, 03:21:01 pm by 2015 »
"Mais est-ce qu'il ne vient jamais à l'idée de ces gens-là que je peux être 'artificiel' par nature?"  --Maurice Ravel