Author Topic: Unable to see "lead target" / targeting octagon / gunsight  (Read 4970 times)

Unable to see "lead target" / targeting octagon / gunsight
New issue
For some reason I haven't had a targeting octagon / gunsight. So I always have to guess my lead to land a shot.
This issue occured in multiplayer as well as singleplayer. It only happens in Human ships. Cylon Raider/Heavy Raider are not affected by this issue.
Messing around with cylon ships in multiplayer is wher I actually found out this game had gunsight.

Game Version: 1.04
Logfile some posts below.

Old post: (hence this thread is in the Multiplayer forum)
I'm using the Vanilla Maps of Diaspora, but seem to be unable to change my ship.
How can i fix that?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 06:16:51 am by corthreat »

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Re: Ships/Weapons locked in Multiplayer
IIRC, there should be a button on the lower right of the screen called "lock ships" (or lock weapons, or similar). The host needs to check/enable this in order for everyone to be able to change their ships/weapons.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Cheers, I found it in host options as "host modifies ships".

BTW, for some reason I haven't had a targeting octagon / gunsight. So I always have to guess my lead to land a shot. Is that normal?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
That doesn't sound normal, but I haven't actually played multiplayer Diaspora to confirm.  I presume the octagon gunsight appears in singleplayer OK?
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

it only appears in Multiplayer while flying a Cylon Raider

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
That's very odd. Does it appear with just the Raider, or with the Advanced Raider and Heavy Raider as well?

Have you installed the 1.0.4 patch?

And lastly, Please post your fs2_open.log file.  Instructions on how to do this can be found in this post.  (just substitute Diaspora for Freespace Open)
----
----

1.04 and not sure if that log can help

[attachment deleted by an evil time traveler]

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Re: Unable to see "lead target" / targeting octagon / gunsight
it only appears in Multiplayer while flying a Cylon Raider

Raiders should not have the octagon gunsight but a lead indicator (like in FS or Wing Commander). Similarly Colonial HUDS shouldn't have the lead indicator but instead have the octagon gunsight.

The difference was done to add a little flavor.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Wellp, I reinstalled. Now the octagon is visible in the Viper, but it doesn't track the ships. In fact, it only changes when I move my ship around with thrusters.
It sometimes stays near a ship, but it is always lagging behind. Aiming at the suggested target area always leads to misfire.

Whereas the gunsight/whatever in a cylon ship in multiplay  works. I don't care what the thing is called, fact is I have to guess my lead in a Viper due to no
working lead indicator and I know my lead in a Raider due to working game mechanics.

Is there an option in the launcher where you have to change something?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Can you post a screenshot while you're trying to engage a moving Raider from a Viper?

2 is where my targeting reticule is
1 is my lead sight (supposedly?) but now it follows movement of 2 with a delay.
3 is a targeted and missle locked raider.

Cylon trajectory is to the bottom (right-ish) on the picture.

Or did I misunderstand the UI of the game?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Yep. The Viper uses a modern-style gunsight like you'd find in a 'real' jet fighter (depending on the HUD settings). Place the trailing component of the gunsight over the Raider and you'll get hits.

Ah. From another game I'm used to track with the "cylon" way of tracking. You have to move the crosshair into the lead point.

Don't worry, even us old Freespace Open players have been thrown off by the gunsight at first ;)

Freespace and most FSO mods use the more classic "aim for the lead circle" model.

Myself and some other space sim friends think this is the best system in any flight/space sim, so you guys have done well  :yes:

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
The training does say that the sight needs to line up with the target, but people used to Wing Commander and other games might understandably still get confused.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock