Author Topic: SD Demon [WIP]  (Read 12839 times)

My dear colleagues,

i hope i haven´t overseen it but i would like to ask if anyone is currently working on a high poly version of the Demon?
I found one older topic here but the model never was released it seems.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 02:47:45 am by Lc4Hunter »

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Re: SD Demon [anyone on it?]
No one is currently working on a Demon, as far as I know. The last person was peterv, but he's went AWOL a couple of years ago, so the Demon is basically open.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Re: SD Demon [WIP] - concept phase!
Good to know.
Then i will start a try to make her a bit more pretty... oh wait... i mean scarry of course  :p

Does anyone have some conceptarts or stuff like that for me?
I still have some ideas for the Demon but if you also have good ideas and wishes... let me know  :)

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
Re: SD Demon [anyone on it?]
Hmm. Well, one piece of "advice" I have is that I've always seen the Demon's "head" as being like a centurion or spartan's helmet, kind of like how the Seraphim's main body is vaguely-helmet shaped. IDK if that helps, it's just this idea that's been lying around in my head for ages.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
BrotherBryon was working on a Demon, iirc.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Hmm. Well, one piece of "advice" I have is that I've always seen the Demon's "head" as being like a centurion or spartan's helmet, kind of like how the Seraphim's main body is vaguely-helmet shaped. IDK if that helps, it's just this idea that's been lying around in my head for ages.
That triangular-shaped head is also shared by the Lucy and the Cain/Lilith. Probably a good idea to keep the styles similar there.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline BrotherBryon

• Resident Lurker
BrotherBryon was working on a Demon, iirc.

Correct, I've resumed work on it but it is still in the early stages so nothing worth showing just yet.
Holy Crap. SHIVANS! Tours

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I believe that the first person to attempt one was TrashMan, but his work was lost in a hard-drive failure, IIRC.  I had suggested to him to add some degree of cresting to each angle change on the upper head, and some overhang to each angle change down each side, with a glow applied to the overhang.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Started with the head of the Demon... i like the idea Trashmans model had with the "plates" at the top so i tried to redo them on my model.
Currently i´m not really happy with that. Plates need to be smoother for example.

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
Superb job with the beginning head shape! I personally don't like the head "plates', but you've integrated them into the shape pretty nicely.  :yes:

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
I would suggest making the scales on the head either extend all the way to the sides on it or remove it, right now it looks like a mow-hawk and I'm not sure I'm ready for an SD Mr. T
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
I pity 'dhe foo', who makes fun of tha' ship!

I sorta think maybe you could try to make them less obvious? Try making them less tall so they blend in subtly with the rest of the head. Its a cool detail though.

My 2 Cents.

I removed them for now ;-)
I will continue making the main-mesh before thinking again of things like that.
Don´t care about the grey thing, thats just the original mesh with a few rounds meshsmooth on it.
Wanted to try something and how you see it looks terrible  :nervous:  :rolleyes:

Next days i will have some more free time for the Mad Demon :p

Offline DahBlount

• Alpine ☆ Cancer Tribulation
    • Minecraft
Looks good! Am I the only person seeing the gray and white differences?
<Axem> yet still more insightful than #hard-light

<Axem> jad2.23 will just be cat videos

<DahBlount> So
<DahBlount> JAD2.2 is like that
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> it can be whatever you like!
<DahBlount> A Chocolate Sundae?
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Looks good! Am I the only person seeing the gray and white differences?
Don´t care about the grey thing, thats just the original mesh with a few rounds meshsmooth on it.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

And another small update :-)
What do you think about the "spine" at the bottom of the neck?

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Needs to be pointier!

I'm dying to see how you'll handle the engine area, it's shaping up nicely.

Offline BritishShivans

• Jolly good supernova
Make that spine "ribbed" and angular. Beef it up a little. Make it pointy. If not, try something similar to the Rakshasa's details.

Offline Luis Dias

The head looks like Legion :D. Great stuff man, keep it up like that and I can already see a bright medium term future where all canon FS2 ships are "HTL'd".

Thanks a lot ;-)
But... don´t you think Legion looks maybe like a Demon, and the other way  :lol: ?
Had a lot other things to do the last weeks (work/christmans/a few days holiday/my EA Warlock :D and some other things in this strange state of consciousness called reallife) but i will continue work on the Iceni and the Demon, but i thought i´ve found someone else on p3d who also works on a Demon which looks much more f*cking awesome then my version.
Currently i can´t give the link because im at work and p3d isn´t working on this PCs.