Author Topic: Question for all the modellers out there  (Read 2234 times)

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
Question for all the modellers out there
I'm currently in my last year of CNC machining classes, and I'd like to make something for myself, assuming I have time enough left over when my final project is finished. I have access to a 5-axis mill, and I'd like to make a desktop model. My handle on most other websites/Steam/Origin is Admiral Bosch, so I was thinking of milling out a small desktop sized model of the Iceni... what I was hoping somebody might have is a low-detail model of the Iceni, more or less an OG, non-HTL model minus the turrets, kinda like what Bosch has on his desktop during his monologue cutscenes. I'd like it either as an .stl Solidworks file or as an .ipt Inventor file.

Failing that, I could prooobably do it myself using one of the lower LOD models, assuming someone has a .POF to some-other-filetype converter?
Wh00t!? Vinyl? Is it like an I-pod 2 or something?

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

The Greatest Game in Existance

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Re: Question for all the modellers out there
Meh... I have no idea o__O. Is there no option to import some more classic file formats like .obj, .dae or .3ds? You can convert pof to dae with PCS2, and than convert it to obj for example with Blender but these further formats are mystery.

Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Honestly, if you need something with low detail, I'd recommend you use the retail Iceni model.

As for file format, you can fairly easily go from PCS2 to anything standard like OBJ or DAE. A quick Google search showed any number of methods to go from a standard format to Solidworks.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Honestly, if you need something with low detail, I'd recommend you use the retail Iceni model.

As for file format, you can fairly easily go from PCS2 to anything standard like OBJ or DAE. A quick Google search showed any number of methods to go from a standard format to Solidworks.

Agreed on both points. Use the retail Iceni model, the hull is all one subobject; and using just PCS you can export to Collada (DAE) which is well supported.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...