Author Topic: Manhacks  (Read 13774 times)

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
In case you're wondering, no, I have no Combine-esque intentions to conquer the world or suppress humanity with this.
But, you do have intentions of taking over a less technologically savvy universe right?
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
I saw the vid and remembered the initial burst of fear when I first saw a manhack before remembering that I was Gordon Freeman and that **** don't mean jack to the guy who made Xen his personal *****/shooting gallery. Then I remembered that I'm not really a battle hardened physicist with a crowbar with a higher kill-count than that of the Grim Reaper's scythe, after which I promptly shat bricks.
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I swear I broke into a panicked spaz attack of crowbar swipes/SMG rounds whenever I encountered one of those in the sewers.  Thank the Maker they became child's play after you got the Gravity Gun.

In case you're wondering, no, I have no Combine-esque intentions to conquer the world or suppress humanity with this.
But, you do have intentions of taking over a less technologically savvy universe right?

Were that to be even possible, it wouldn't happen unless I'm allowed near the transmitter.

Or perhaps I am an unknowing pawn working for some... Benefactor... of sorts? D:

Over the weekend we tried to (crudely) get a feel for how much lift it produces at a given throttle setting by holding it down with one hand and raising the throttle (not a technique I'd encourage). Each motor is calibrated to draw about 20-22 amps at full throttle and with it set at about halfway (about 10-11 amps) it felt as though it had enough lift to raise your arm. Looking at the data in AeroQuad Configurator we found that for some reason the No.4 motor is drawing more current than the others.

This has in part led us to look at purchasing some XBee components to provide in-flight data monitoring, and the ability to fine-tune the flight parameters. There's certainly enough space for the required parts, although I don't know how much they'd add to the weight. Current all-up weight is about 1.5kg.

However, overcoming the weight doesn't seem like it would be an issue. Those 3-bladed rotors produce more lift than 2-bladed ones, but this results in increased torque and hence more power sappage (also the cold weather would reduce battery life, so testing is being done indoors for now).

This is just a project/hobby I'm helping out with, albeit it's one that scares me a bit. But I do think the idea of civilian UAVs is quite cool. I've seen these things on TV applied in livestock monitoring and I've heard about using R/C aircraft to explore mine shafts (probably for assisting in search and rescue operations).

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
my chinese made trex clone produces an insane amout of lift. after the lipo pack i was using decided to up and die, i didnt have money to replace it, so i gathered up every nicd, ni-mh, and even a few non-rechargable aa cells, taped and soldered them all together into an equivalent battery pack weighing about 2 pounds. and taped under the skids. it took off and flew for about 2 minutes before i crashed it. brushless motors pack a lot of power in a tiny and lightweight package. that first video i linked to for the manned electric octocopter you wouldnt think it capable of flight at first glance. companies have been trying to use the tech for all kinds of maned flight applications, namely planes for pilots with sport class licenses, but the faa really doesnt want to see cutting edge technology in sport class planes, and would rather stick to the tried and true lawnmower engines.

older gas helis had weight issues and the engines were not all that powerful for their weight. plus you needed to carry fuel in addition to batteries (usually heavy nicd cells) for the electronics. servos were bulky and no way around it you need at least 4 in a heli plus another to throttle the engine for gas helis. and you could have a gyro, which were heavy mechanical units. these days you have little 9 gram servos, escs are tiny and light weight, a single power system for everything, solid state gyros and a receiver smaller than a matchbook, leaves considerable margin of error as far as weight is concerned. quad copters likely have even more margin for error. 4 lifting motors, no servos (just escs), and you do all your stabilization and calibration with electronics (a regular heli needs to be mechanically calibrated as well as electronically) and in software.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 05:32:47 am by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Darn FAA... almost seems like they exist to keep flight out of the reach of the masses, for fear that they might hurt themselves.  Can't we just have some sort of crash course in the basics of flight and then require that all pilots pack some sort of chute?  heck, for a craft like the ones in the vid, your chute could almost save the craft too.

EDIT: OK, so you most likely could save the craft:

http://brsparachutes.com/

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i think its more out of fear of hurting people on the ground / doing property damage. faa is a very conservative agency, they dont take risks at all. they like tried and true technology and they frown on anything new or untested. i cant really blame them, once you get off the ground you are pretty much in a do or die situation. its fully ok to put your own ass on the line, but when you consider anyone that might be below you, its not ok to put them in danger.  best way to fly without the faa breathing down your neck is to get an ultralight, which as far as i know the faa doesnt really regulate, aside from restricting flights to rural areas and under a certain altitude.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Darn FAA... almost seems like they exist to keep flight out of the reach of the masses, for fear that they might hurt themselves.  Can't we just have some sort of crash course in the basics of flight and then require that all pilots pack some sort of chute?  heck, for a craft like the ones in the vid, your chute could almost save the craft too.

Build yourself some sort of ultralight and stay in Class G airspace nowhere near an airport or populated area.

Pick up a FAR/AIM if you're really interested, it's not that hard to decipher.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

my chinese made trex clone produces an insane amout of lift. after the lipo pack i was using decided to up and die, i didnt have money to replace it, so i gathered up every nicd, ni-mh, and even a few non-rechargable aa cells, taped and soldered them all together into an equivalent battery pack weighing about 2 pounds. and taped under the skids. it took off and flew for about 2 minutes before i crashed it. brushless motors pack a lot of power in a tiny and lightweight package. that first video i linked to for the manned electric octocopter you wouldnt think it capable of flight at first glance. companies have been trying to use the tech for all kinds of maned flight applications, namely planes for pilots with sport class licenses, but the faa really doesnt want to see cutting edge technology in sport class planes, and would rather stick to the tried and true lawnmower engines.

older gas helis had weight issues and the engines were not all that powerful for their weight. plus you needed to carry fuel in addition to batteries (usually heavy nicd cells) for the electronics. servos were bulky and no way around it you need at least 4 in a heli plus another to throttle the engine for gas helis. and you could have a gyro, which were heavy mechanical units. these days you have little 9 gram servos, escs are tiny and light weight, a single power system for everything, solid state gyros and a receiver smaller than a matchbook, leaves considerable margin of error as far as weight is concerned. quad copters likely have even more margin for error. 4 lifting motors, no servos (just escs), and you do all your stabilization and calibration with electronics (a regular heli needs to be mechanically calibrated as well as electronically) and in software.

On the subject of power sources this quad uses LiPo batteries (lithium ion polymer batteries; they're kept in an ammo box for reasons you're probably aware of). Given the power demands it'll encounter we're looking at about 10 minutes of flight, but then, this quad wasn't really built for endurance; more for robustness.

Looking at the XBee radio modems it seems that there are basically two types - 2.4GHz and 900MHz, with maximum ranges of 1.6 to 24km (about 1 to 15 miles) respectively. Sounds impressive (to me, anyway).

I'd suggest maybe taking gliding lessons if you're willing to fly unpowered. I've read that pilots that have taken gliding tuition prior to flying engine-driven aircraft say they got more of an understanding and appreciation for the forces keeping them aloft than they would have had if they went straight into learning to fly with an engine. It helps add to the pilot's confidence, especially when faced with a dead-stick landing situation.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me

On the subject of power sources this quad uses LiPo batteries (lithium ion polymer batteries; they're kept in an ammo box for reasons you're probably aware of). Given the power demands it'll encounter we're looking at about 10 minutes of flight, but then, this quad wasn't really built for endurance; more for robustness.

Looking at the XBee radio modems it seems that there are basically two types - 2.4GHz and 900MHz, with maximum ranges of 1.6 to 24km (about 1 to 15 miles) respectively. Sounds impressive (to me, anyway).

lipos are nice, but we have only a few months worth of good flying weather every year, and ive yet to come up with a way to make the batteries survive the off season, so i end up buying a new pack every year. high power batteries like that have no control circuitry and arent as storage happy.

xbee is out of my price range (its not so much the price but that you need to buy 2 of them to do anything useful). they are nice units though, there is one with a 40 mile range if you have the cash. i had good luck with some 434 and 315 mhz ask modules, the cheap ($2-$3) ism ones that hardly ever work right. they have a really low baud rate (4800bps, sometimes), and i very much doubt the fcc approves me using them. ive been able to make them work well enough to build an rc car from junk/legos. i recently bought me a pair of 2.4ghz nordic (nRF24L01+) modules on the cheap ($7 on ebay) to play with, but i havent tried using them yet. they are rated for like 2mbit, and im not sure what kinda range they are. supposedly range ultimately depends on transmit power and antennae configuration. 2.4ghz has problems getting through objects, and is better for line of site applications (my heli radio is 2.4 as well). i dont expect this module to perform well at all. but im sure its better than what ive been using.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 02:26:24 pm by Nuke »

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me

Nuke's Scripting SVN

It certainly seems to change attitude and height in a more refined way. On that subject, the quadcopter I'm helping out with now has an ultrasonic sensor for more precise altitude monitoring. In the end we didn't bother with getting an XBee board but it might be something to add later on.

We could do with having some suitable indoor testing space, preferably with a nice level surface so the quadcopter lifts off along its normal axis. And some netting like in those videos would be a good idea.

Actually, I might get around to helping with the flight testing (hovering) tomorrow.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i was looking at my heli's aluminum tail rotor assembly, and it looks like i could easily re-configure them to spin in either direction while still producing positive thrust. so i bet if i had 4 of them i could mod them to provide prop pitch for each motor in a quad copter, or possibly run them all off of a single motor. of course each would require a servo (my chopper uses a 9 gram servo to actuate the tail rotor) to operate. im not sure what the yaw performance would be running off of a single motor. as i understand it a rotor's torque goes up with blade pitch, so you should be able to create the torque differential with blade pitch alone.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
manhacks seen developing culture http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_sUeGC-8dyk

request hlp threat down update

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
manhacks seen developing culture http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_sUeGC-8dyk

request hlp threat down update

Cartographer UAVs and Anarchist Quadrotors?

On a semi related note I've noticed that when you turn off my mom's CRV it makes a dead on impression of the Combine Overwatch data squelch noise when troopers are terminated.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 11:16:18 pm by StarSlayer »
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Done. I did it for you, battuta. :p
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
red sniper best sniper, also best color