Author Topic: New Russian tank - T14  (Read 36500 times)

Offline Aesaar

Re: New Russian tank - T14
So who feels like some pictures?

T-14

MSTA-S

Kurganets-25 IFV

T-15 Heavy IFV

Bumerang APC

It's like the future invaded Russia.  The T-15 has got to be the biggest IFV I have ever seen.  Which makes sense, given that it's built on the same chassis as the T-14.

More (different) pictures here: http://bastion-karpenko.ru/new-tehnik-parad-150504/
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 07:43:27 pm by Aesaar »

Offline Nohiki

• Graf von Kaffeetrinken
    • Minecraft
Hm, anyone got dimensions on the turret? It looks kind of small compared to the abrams or challenger, almost as if they did away with armor spacing.
:::ALSO PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

Offline Aesaar

It's small because it isn't crewed, unlike the Abrams and Challenger turrets.  Actually, from what I can tell, the turret you see there seems to be mostly empty space.  A thin metal cover to protect countermeasures and secondary optics from shrapnel.  Remove that cover, and the turret probably looks more like this:

« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 07:35:25 pm by Aesaar »

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
That turret in the photos looks considerably less sexy than the one in the video, even though the video one has the silly AA guns.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

That turret in the photos looks considerably less sexy than the one in the video, even though the video one has the silly AA guns.

Yeah, this. Also, the skirts around the tracks look more like rubber than armor, are they supposed to be? Or just poorly measured metal plates hooked together?

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Omg. That T-15.

I want to be inside it.....
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
So how is Putin paying for all of this? :p

Offline Nohiki

• Graf von Kaffeetrinken
    • Minecraft
These were probably paid for before the whole Ukraine thing.
:::ALSO PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
The tank that ground to a halt in Red Square later started moving of its own accord after an unsuccessful attempt to tow it away.

It was later announced over a loudspeaker that the tank’s stop had been planned in advance, and was a rehearsal for any emergency situation that might happen during the parade, a Russian newspaper reported.

Too bad it was only a rehearsal. :lol:

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
So how is Putin paying for all of this? :p

He's... Putin it on his tab!
YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
"No"

Offline Mika

So it was this tank that shut down in the middle of the Victory parade? :D I suppose somebody got his ass scolded by that. Wouldn't want to be in his shoes, though this is completely understandable for a new system.

What it comes to tank warfare, it's about how you use them. We weren't that afraid of main battle tanks in the army - especially in the terrain of this country, it would be a poor choice of a combat system. In open fields maybe, but I can't help feeling the main battle tank is heading towards the way of a battleship. A lot of effort for a relatively little benefit as the today's missile systems out-range and most of the time also outmaneuver the main battle tank. When practicing RPG shots, I really pitied the crew on the receiving end after seeing what happens there: the thought of the sudden fiery death from a copper carrot would not be a pleasant one. That certainly isn't one of the ways I want to go.
Relaxed movement is always more effective than forced movement.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Holy **** the shot trap on that T-14's turret is ****ing awful.

Offline Aesaar

Mika: Active protection and ECM systems are things the Russians have been investing in very heavily for quite a while.  Arena is used on the T-90A, T-72B2/3, and the T-14 uses a new system called Afganit, which is apparently capable of intercepting projectiles moving at speeds up to 1300m/s (that number is almost certainly just a ballpark figure).  This covers a whole range of munitions, including both the Hellfire and AGM-65 Maverick, and can protect against top-attack munitions as well.  Hell, it even covers some smaller caliber kinetic energy penetrators.  You can see the T-14's turret is absolutely covered in countermeasures.  Unlike most Western tanks, countermeasures doesn't just mean smoke.

Arena, for the record, looks like this:

I'll also add that Relikt (their most recent ERA) is apparently effective against even tandem-charge warheads.

Scotty: It's not a shot trap any more than the Leopard 2A5 and onward turret wedge armor is.  It's thin spaced armor, probably meant to protect countermeasures and optics from shrapnel and prematurely detonate shaped charge warheads.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 07:24:15 pm by Aesaar »

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I meant the big divot in the turret where the gun optics are.  I mean, I hope that it's a decoy, because otherwise that's the most obvious weakspot I've ever seen on a supposedly armored vehicle.

Offline Aesaar

Er, that's a weak spot present on pretty much every modern tank.  Just look at the Leopard 2:

If it looks bigger on the T-14, it's probably because the turret itself is a lot smaller.  Gunner optics are always vulnerable.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam

Must be pretty ****ty for the infantry who are hunkering down near that thing when it starts popping AMS grenades.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Looks like they're still working on the cheek guns.

Offline Mika

Mika: Active protection and ECM systems are things the Russians have been investing in very heavily for quite a while.  Arena is used on the T-90A, T-72B2/3, and the T-14 uses a new system called Afganit, which is apparently capable of intercepting projectiles moving at speeds up to 1300m/s (that number is almost certainly just a ballpark figure).  This covers a whole range of munitions, including both the Hellfire and AGM-65 Maverick, and can protect against top-attack munitions as well.  Hell, it even covers some smaller caliber kinetic energy penetrators.  You can see the T-14's turret is absolutely covered in countermeasures.  Unlike most Western tanks, countermeasures doesn't just mean smoke.

I'll also add that Relikt (their most recent ERA) is apparently effective against even tandem-charge warheads.

Scotty: It's not a shot trap any more than the Leopard 2A5 and onward turret wedge armor is.  It's thin spaced armor, probably meant to protect countermeasures and optics from shrapnel and prematurely detonate shaped charge warheads.

I'd be more worried if they had made a less noisy tank as these are not exactly subtle systems. I'm aware of Russian ECM development, they performed waveband jamming quite often during the live military exercises so that we mainly heard pipe and organ music and communist songs from the radios. Of course, our radios were of Vietnam era (battalion radio 217), and we made no attempt to avoid it.

I still wouldn't like the proposition of getting shot at but not being able to shoot back. And that is IF the system works - Russian electronic suites have gathered a certain reputation at this point.

Apparently, these systems do have caused significant collateral damage in earlier conflicts, so the infantry deployment with this will be quite different.
Relaxed movement is always more effective than forced movement.

Offline Aesaar

I still wouldn't like the proposition of getting shot at but not being able to shoot back. And that is IF the system works - Russian electronic suites have gathered a certain reputation at this point.
Simple but pretty reliable?  We're not in the 80s anymore.