Author Topic: Star Trek Beyond  (Read 5676 times)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Simon Pegg has also gone on record stating that the Trailer is not really representative of the film, so there's that.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Of course he did, what else he could have said? "Oh yes, the movie has no substance whatsoever. Save your money."

Oh please... don't tell me you're one of those people that voted Into Darkness the Worst Star Trek Ever. It may not be the best but it's way better than some of the first ones... It's certainly far more watchable. Never do I find myself wanting to watch Star Trek The Motion Picture or.. Final Frontier. Once was moooore than enough for those. Into Darkness? Sure, I'll watch that again.

I don't think Intro Darkness was the worst ever. It's definitely very hard to unseat Star Trek V from that particular throne. But Into Darkness was a) thematically the same movie as the last one, b) had the same character development for Kirk and Spock as the last one, and c) depended on Kirk and Spock taking very specific actions to allow the rest of the plot to unfold as it does. There's also very flimsy justification for capturing the antagonist at the end rather than just terminating him with extreme prejudice. I also feel like Cumberbatch was overacting a little (or a lot).

That said, Into Darkness was still very pretty, and I did like most of the cast. Simon Pegg and Carl Urban continue to shine, and Alice Eve is every bit a younger Bibi Besch.

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
That music, especially when it hits the gangsta pop part... :rolleyes:

Would it make you want to watch it if the trailer had used the trololo song? Because that's about my reaction to this. Except that the trololo song would have been such a mysterious choice that I'd instantly assume there's more to it than meets the eye and that they didn't actually think it sounds great but used it for some other purpose.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Beastie Boys tracks were already used in the last two films, they established that Kirk listens to them. 

Least they didn't use Ch-Check It Out, that might have been too meta.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
Beastie Boys tracks were already used in the last two films, they established that Kirk listens to them.

I don't really recall anything aside from the kid Kirk scene, which was really goofy and unnecessary, but at least in that context (driving a retro car on Earth in the middle of nowhere) contemporary music like that was somewhat less jarring.

And I don't mean that the music in isolation is that bad; it is pretty mild and inoffensive, but when used in that kind of context, it diminishes both because it's so fundamentally out of place.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I don't think Intro Darkness was the worst ever. It's definitely very hard to unseat Star Trek V from that particular throne.

Oh come on, Nemesis was far worse than 5. 5 should have been a TV episode, it might have worked as one. As a film it's over-long but cram it into a 45 minutes episode and while not great, it wouldn't be close to being the worst thing in TOS. You couldn't save Nemesis.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
yeah, at least it had that "what does god need with a starship" bit
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Aesaar

The Final Frontier nearly killed the film series.  Nemesis actually did.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
What reasons do people here have for disliking Nemesis so much? Aside from the obvious plot-hole issues such as detecting a positronic signal from half a galaxy away, that is.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
The massive plot holes were indicative of the incredibly lazy writing. Worse though was the continual attempts to make it into an action movie by featuring stupid, pointless, dune buggy chases and Patrick Stewart channelling Die Hard on the Romulan ship.

It not only a bad Trek film, it was a dreadful movie even if you'd never watched any Trek before.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Ahh, true. Can't disagree with ya there. Having finally just watched TOS for the first time, I see that Trek should be about exploration of the unknown and our responses to the situations that brings, not pointless action. :)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
What reasons do people here have for disliking Nemesis so much? Aside from the obvious plot-hole issues such as detecting a positronic signal from half a galaxy away, that is.

It was a trainwreck, and it was basically always going to be a trainwreck. Put it this way: LeVar Burton has directed some of the best episodes of Star Trek ever made. He even managed to make Voyager stand up and be counted with Timeless.

This was going to be his movie. A contract to direct was actually written up and he was on board. At the last minute the suits at Paramount brought in somebody who couldn't even pronounce the cast's names properly (Laverne Burton! Maranara Sirtis!) and who had never before directed anything. Burton was told to stuff it.

This was a microcosm of how the production of Nemesis worked, as people who didn't know Star Trek and didn't know movies were brought in, watched Generations and First Contact, failed to understand what it was about those movies that pulled in Star Trek audiences, and built a movie around that failed understanding.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
It was a trainwreck, and it was basically always going to be a trainwreck. Put it this way: LeVar Burton has directed some of the best episodes of Star Trek ever made. He even managed to make Voyager stand up and be counted with Timeless.

This was going to be his movie. A contract to direct was actually written up and he was on board. At the last minute the suits at Paramount brought in somebody who couldn't even pronounce the cast's names properly (Laverne Burton! Maranara Sirtis!) and who had never before directed anything. Burton was told to stuff it.

This was a microcosm of how the production of Nemesis worked, as people who didn't know Star Trek and didn't know movies were brought in, watched Generations and First Contact, failed to understand what it was about those movies that pulled in Star Trek audiences, and built a movie around that failed understanding.

I sincerely hope that this won't be a trainwreck. As for the cast for Star Trek Beyond, I think Whoopi Goldberg should join the cast, because she's a Star Trek fan, could be playing Jackie or Jacqueline, I don't know for sure.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
    • Twitter
I think what Bill Nye said. Star Trek is better than Star Wars.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Offline Luis Dias

I'm dismayed at anyone who actually considers The Motion Picture part of the "bad" star trek ones.

It's one of my favorites.

And this trailer sucks balls. Sucks. Baaaaaallls. The fast and the furious meets star trek? Really? That's the trajectory here? Well, count me off. I'll watch it when it goes on TV. While playing cards with my family or something. I won't be surprised if I miss 40% of the story at that time.

Offline Luis Dias

I don't think Intro Darkness was the worst ever. It's definitely very hard to unseat Star Trek V from that particular throne.

Oh come on, Nemesis was far worse than 5. 5 should have been a TV episode, it might have worked as one. As a film it's over-long but cram it into a 45 minutes episode and while not great, it wouldn't be close to being the worst thing in TOS. You couldn't save Nemesis.

V was the first one I saw on cinema. I loved it because I was like 8 years old and I was just excited to see the Enterprise and Kirk on a cinema screen. I agree with Karajorma though, V has terrible moments, ridiculous things in it, but it also has a few scenes that, for me, saves it from total ****. Just seeing those three TOS main guys bantering between themselves, the scene about "traumas" and so on (and Kirk saying he needs his pains, etc.) there are a few scenes there that stayed with me while I grew up that I think are worthy material. Bones questioning God was funny. The quest with its religious appeal was also interesting as a theme. It totally screwed up in almost everything else, so yeah.

And now I'm going to write my first big controversial sentence in this thread.

Ready?

Here it is. Star Trek V is actually better than First Contact.

There, I said it. Now call me crazy at will, I'm just chuckling at the spilled coffee that that sentence might generate.

Offline Bryan See

• Twitter
I think so, Luis.

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:

Ships:

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

Yeah, I have to agree with Luis, there.  Final Frontier was daft, but kind of funny.  First Contact was a crushing disappointment I wish there was an undo button for.

Main reason is that First Contact completely ruined the scariest badguys Star Trek ever came up with.  When I was a kid and the Borg were introduced in TNG season 2, that episode actually gave me nightmares!  It was like, space zombies, but with a rationale that actually made sense to me.  No one of them any more important.  No room for individuality.  Kill one, kill one hundred, what did it matter?  You couldn't kill them all, and they were never going to stop.

And then First Contact gave them a ****ing Borg Queen who tried to seduce Data...
Really?  Like, did the writers even have the first clue what made the Borg so badass to begin with???

That by itself just makes the whole movie irredeemable in my eyes.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 10:02:05 pm by perihelion »
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan