Author Topic: Printable Magnets.  (Read 2916 times)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper

Let's hear your ideas for applications!
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

holding things together
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Better motors, of course!

There's also "magnetic gearing" as a possible application, which would eliminate losses do to friction between gears.

Can also to make refrigerator magnets, and reusable car decals.
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
Superior tearaway pants, duh.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Being freespace in here... reactor containment.

From a professional view, all sorts of ordnance wizardry which would make my old profession a world of hurt. I fear for the EOD world of tomorrow. :(
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline zookeeper

• *knock knock* Who's there? Poe. Poe who?
Free energy, obviously. Duh. :wtf:

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Holy shizzle that's cool.

Umm... better maglev trains?  Superior electric car motors + regenerative braking?  Magnetic transmission parts?  Better power generation at any power generation facility?  Finally, cost efficient fusion containment?  A better MRI? A pocket MRI?

Not exactly sure, but I think anything that involves a magnet in its operation could get a boost (unless it relies on the conventional magnetic field and wouldn't benefit from the size or strength being adjusted at all).

Half the things you just mentioned involve superconduction and won't be affected in the slightest by any advance at all in permanent magnet technology.

Also now that I've watched the video I see that they have in fact just reinvented the Halbach array, as used since time immemorial to make cheap fridge magnets.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
didn't know the name, but I was thinking the same thing while watching it, thought the latching seemed neat.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Half the things you just mentioned involve superconduction and won't be affected in the slightest by any advance at all in permanent magnet technology.

Also now that I've watched the video I see that they have in fact just reinvented the Halbach array, as used since time immemorial to make cheap fridge magnets.
didn't know the name, but I was thinking the same thing while watching it, thought the latching seemed neat.

They did an AMA on Reddit (and were still popping in to answer questions).   Response:
Quote from: https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/4bns7f/iam_jason_morgan_vp_of_engineering_at_correlated/d1bbyxu?context=3
Halbach arrays take an array of magnet in a particular arrangement, and throw all the field/force to one side. What we do is design magnets to have really high strength in attachment, or magnet pairs to have alignment, shear, or spring behaviors.

Edit: In the case of fridge magnets, I think they just magnetize the strips by rolling them over a diametrically magnetized drum or rod.

He's right about how fridge magnets are made, but the reason they do that is that it creates a Halbach array which attaches much more strongly on one side, thus allowing the manufacturer to use a weaker, cheaper magnet.