Author Topic: Britain votes for Brexit  (Read 17442 times)

Offline 666maslo666

• Artificial Neural Network
Re: Britain votes for Brexit
LOL @ the racist buzzword. Brexit campaign was about many things, maybe I have missed talks about genetic inferiority of continental Europeans polluting your tiny island gene pool?

Thats right, I havent. Its just the buzzword buzzing again.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

You haven't been paying a whole lot of attention to UKIP or Boris Johnson, have you?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
LOL @ the racist buzzword. Brexit campaign was about many things, maybe I have missed talks about genetic inferiority of continental Europeans polluting your tiny island gene pool?

If a campaign is based around creating fear of people of other races, then it is racist.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Not that I'm informed enough on this to comment in depth, and at the risk of sounding a bit like Dragon, I feel as though decades-long complex international economic policy is just about the LAST thing on the planet that should be subject to direct popular referendum.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Not that I'm informed enough on this to comment in depth, and at the risk of sounding a bit like Dragon, I feel as though decades-long complex international economic policy is just about the LAST thing on the planet that should be subject to direct popular referendum.

No, that's actually what representative Democracy is supposed to make unnecessary. We elect our representatives not only to have our voices heard, but also so we don't have to deal with all the minutiae of government.

Offline 666maslo666

If a campaign is based around creating fear of people of other races, then it is racist.

It wasnt based on that at all. People from UK and the rest of EU arent even considered to be of a different race. And topics in the campaign were about economy, sovereignty etc., not about genetics. It is clear that the R-word is used just as an meaningless insult here.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics. Even if you win you are still retarded.

It wasnt based on that at all. People from UK and the rest of EU arent even considered to be of a different race. And topics in the campaign were about economy, sovereignty etc., not about genetics. It is clear that the R-word is used just as an meaningless insult here.

Race has nothing to do with genetics: No racial dividing line has ever been based on genetics or indeed any sort of actual biology. It all boils down to place of birth and culture. And yes, when it comes down to that, eastern europeans are defenitely subject to racism. I mean, c'mon: The most clear cut example of racism in our history happened during WW2, and that was entirely aimed at people that were born on the same continent.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 07:36:42 am by -Joshua- »

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Well at least now that the Pound is plummeting it looks like its a great time to buy some 28mm historic miniatures from the UK. Previously the exchange rates have been not in my favor. :drevil:
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline 666maslo666

Race has nothing to do with genetics.

Thats debatable.

But more importantly, race = important genetic differences justifying discrimination, that is what racists believe. It is the very cornerstone of this belief system. Someone who does not consider genetics important can never be a racist. At worst, it can be considered bigotry or some form of unwarranted prejudice.

I know inflating the term racist to mean everything under the sun is cool thing to do currently, tough. It is BS.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Let's table that discussion and stick to calling UKIP et al horribly idiotic hypocrites and bigots then.

Offline 666maslo666

And yes, when it comes down to that, eastern europeans are defenitely subject to racism.

We were subject to racism only so far as some people subjectively believed we were genetically inferior. Other than that, we were subject to plain old prejudice, not racism.

And some of this prejudice was even somewhat warranted, because eastern Europe was indeed temporarily a bit of a crime exporter in the turbulent years after the fall of communism. I think things changed for the better, tough.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
And some of this prejudice was even somewhat warranted, because eastern Europe was indeed temporarily a bit of a crime exporter in the turbulent years after the fall of communism. I think things changed for the better, tough.

Not according to your fellow nationalists in the countries west of you though.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Cameron's alternate resignation speech:

Offline 666maslo666

Not according to your fellow nationalists in the countries west of you though.

And while they may be wrong at this time, I am surely not going to dismiss their concerns as mere racism (except for a small minority who actually are racist). That would be dishonest.

To bring it back to this because I brought it on a tangent (oops). But a lot of the leave campaign focused on things like this. UKIP blames the EU for immigrants outside of the EU entering the UK, despite Britain having full control over non-EU citizens entering the UK. It's defenitely praying upon racist fears.

Eastern Germany would like to have a word with you regarding Polish gangs.

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
I'd like to say this is a terrible idea but my country is somewhat thinking of maybe electing Trump so v0v. Imagine if they let the US populace vote on membership like this? I don't think our idiots would make any better decisions.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I hear one more post where someone tries to redefine what racism is and I'm banning someone. I'm NOT having this thread turn into a ****fest over some side issue.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Eastern Germany would like to have a word with you regarding Polish gangs.

A few years back yes. There was a plague of thieves "raiding" the German towns near the border stealing cars and many other things. The loudest case was a Polish-Ukrainian gang which robbed a farm, taking lots of agricultural equipment. Property's owner lost more then 1 million Euros. What's most interesting, the burglaries are mostly not made by the locals but gangs or individuals from deeper territories. But now I can tell it's pretty quiet. Says a guy who lives within a stone-throw distance from Polish-German border.

But this crap works both ways. On the German side the biggest pain in the arse are NPD <nationalist> activists. A friend of mine, who lives on the German side got his house windows demolished for just being Polish.

But getting back on track.

I visited a bank today to solve some issues with my account. The worker said that they had a telephone storm, people calling, moving their money like mad. Looks like the stock exchange is about to get crazy already...
« Last Edit: June 24, 2016, 09:13:38 am by Col.Hornet »

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
It's a sad story, really. The Brits couldn't get the EU to establish a more reasonable immigration policy, so they left the EU... which will screw them over economically more than anything else. I don't know which treaties will stay and which won't, but I don't think it'll really be able to get the good without the bad.

That said, the worst thing about it is that it's a dangerous precedent. If the UK isn't hurt too much from the economic ramifications (pound dropping like a rock, for example), then some might get it in their heads that it'll be a good idea to get out of EU as well. Not a good thing for anyone...

No, that's actually what representative Democracy is supposed to make unnecessary. We elect our representatives not only to have our voices heard, but also so we don't have to deal with all the minutiae of government.
This issue hardly counts as "minutiae". It's a crucial matter for the country's future. Besides, if there wasn't a referendum, they could have elected a party making leaving EU their main selling point. Ultimately, it comes down to the same thing: letting morons, incompetents and those who act on emotions decide the future of the entire country. The referendum in general was a bad idea, but it is a deep problem (and a major risk) with any democratic system.

Ultimately, we're in just about the worst situation for democracy in general - a highly polarized one. It can work quite well in a largely single-minded group, where the difference between one government and the other really is minutiae and the majority is large (minorities are still out of luck, but if they complain loudly enough the majority may take pity on them). In the current situation, on the other hand the "majority" has a whoopin' 4% over the minority. A bit over a half decides what the other almost half have to put up with. The result? Tyranny of the majority.
It didn't, really. Here's the thing with nationalism: it tends to suffer from scope creep. First, it's Syrian immigrants. Then, it's Arabs in general. Then they decide all Muslims are evil (and promptly start kicking out perfectly Polish Tatar people). If it doesn't make a country a paradise where money falls from the sky (and probably even then), they'll decide all immigrants are evil. This happened before and will happen again. I'm, broadly speaking, anti-immigrant, but only because of how morons the majority reacts to the immigration problems. If nationalists get too much traction, it'll blow up in everyone's faces.

Really, I think I'm going to start learning either Russian or Chinese. It sometimes seems like the Western World is going to just come crashing down in a few decades at most (though Russia may well come crashing down when Putin dies, too...). The government in Poland is stupid, but it's old, predictable, self-absorbed kind of stupid.