Author Topic: Star Trek 50th Anniversary  (Read 14413 times)

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Re: Star Trek 50th Anniversary
In any case, "STD" is a really unfortunate acronym for the new series.
Good thing they're going with "DSC" instead.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Luis Dias

ST:D is pretty hilarious though

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
Also, Star Trek: Beyond was exactly as retarded as the trailers made it out to be, why are people trying to say it wasnt?
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

you also like star citizen, you need to adapt to your condition and assume that normal people will make quality judgements in exact opposition to your own
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

what beyond really needed was more mocap, immersion and mark hamill
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Turambar

you also like star citizen, you need to adapt to your condition and assume that normal people will make quality judgements in exact opposition to your own

Star Citizen has nothing to do with this, and it isn't even done yet.  I support their attempt to push the envelope about what's possible in a video game as well as their push to bring back space fighter sims.

What Beyond needed was to be about the years of doing interesting space **** that apparently bored the **** out of Kirk.  Instead, it's just about some contrived action set pieces and a bunch of **** that doesnt make sense.

The space station was cool though.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 10:42:59 am by Turambar »
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats

Fortunately you're completely, objectively wrong and Beyond was everything that it needed to be.

Offline Turambar

Fortunately you're completely, objectively wrong and Beyond was everything that it needed to be.

I don't get it.  What did you like about it?

It just had so many great character moments and interactions for the whole crew, throughout, and a plot that was great at generating those moments. It was, at heart, a really long, really good Star Trek episode, which is why it baffles me that you think it wasn't. I loved it so much exactly because it broke from the Kirk And Spock Angsty Punching Show that JJTrek was bogged down in.

Offline Turambar

It just had so many great character moments and interactions for the whole crew, throughout, and a plot that was great at generating those moments. It was, at heart, a really long, really good Star Trek episode, which is why it baffles me that you think it wasn't. I loved it so much exactly because it broke from the Kirk And Spock Angsty Punching Show that JJTrek was bogged down in.

I just want to ditch the whole JJ-verse and get back to some real Star Trek.  The first movie was fine as an intro to 'this is a new timeline but this one is different in various ways and lets see how kirk and spock become friends this time' and is definitely the best one.  The next 2 movies have squandered any potential for it to develop into any serious scifi kind of franchise.  This is Action Blockbuster Trek until that stops making money.

It feels like JJ-verse doesnt even take place in "space" but most of that is down to their complete lack of understanding about "space" what it is, how big it is, what kinds of things you might find there, what its rules are, etc.  It came through in the new Star Wars too but i don't expect Star Wars to do as well as Star Trek when it comes to grounding anything.

Sure Dr McCoy told a bunch of good funny jokes, but that can't save a movie that has almost no point.  The villain just needed to chill out and smoke a joint and watch Gundam Wing.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 02:03:40 pm by Turambar »

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I just want to ditch the whole JJ-verse and get back to some real Star Trek. 

Okay so here's your proscribed watching list so you get your **** sorted out about what TOS actually was.

II and VI of the movies plus Balance of Terror and The Doomsday Machine to remind you what TOS wanted to do but didn't have the effects to really back up a lot of the time.

A half dozen times Kirk had a fistfight because it was the only action the show could actually afford.

Whom Gods Destroy, The Omega Glory, Errand of Mercy, and Turnabout Intruder to remind you what kind of villains TOS had.

Who Mourns For Adonis and the TNG-era openings so you get the references.

Finally, five hours of being beaten with the Frozen Trout of Justice for suggesting this was not the finest episode of The Original Series ever made.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Turambar

No, I'm not confused about what Star Trek was.  I'm concerned about what Star Trek will be going forward.  I've watched all the star trek except the animated one.  If they keep barreling forward with this dumb Trek, they may never make it to their Next Generation that might actually be good.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 02:29:08 pm by Turambar »

The new series is set in the prime timeline for god's sake.

Also lol @ the idea that 'dumb trek' is something JJ invented when we had ten years of systemically, dryly dumb Voyager and Enterprise to kill the series before him.

Offline Turambar

Also lol @ the idea that 'dumb trek' is something JJ invented when we had ten years of systemically, dryly dumb Voyager and Enterprise to kill the series before him.

And Nemesis, but still.  When you wipe your universe you have a chance to start over and make something better.

Offline Luis Dias

It feels like JJ-verse doesnt even take place in "space" but most of that is down to their complete lack of understanding about "space" what it is, how big it is, what kinds of things you might find there, what its rules are, etc.  It came through in the new Star Wars too but i don't expect Star Wars to do as well as Star Trek when it comes to grounding anything.

I do have to say, it's been amazing to see how profoundly lacking in any sense of geography the JJ films were. Old movies at least had a sense of territory, of depth, of time, of impenetrableness to some specie's space. Even the Whales movie, the campiest of them all, created some territorial crescendo until the Big Dumb Object reached Earth. Not anymore! Now we can have things that are simultaneously at the border and just really close to planet Earth, going to Klingon's capital world is just like teleporting to it no biggie, etc.

If they would be able to at least recreate this spatial depth, then marvelous simple things like actual discovery, adventure and this thing about going to "where no man has gone before" become meaningful again, almost magically. I'd be fine with just that.

But I guess that in our current world where things are immediate and there's no depth to Earth's territory anymore, film makers have also forgotten about this quality in Star Trekkian verse.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
JJ Abrams is terrible at dealing with scale.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Luis Dias

JJ Abrams is terrible at dealing with scale.

Yeah, it's not as if the latest Star Wars doesn't suffer from it as well. That last arc almost reads as if the entire galactic struggle is being fought on the same solar system.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Beyond handled scale significantly better than JJ could ever hope to (comprehend, much less apply).  Especially the scale of the Enterprise, considering it's a ship designed to contain hundreds of crew for years on end.

It really rankles that Beyond is getting tarred with the same brush as JJTrek when it fixed so many of the problems with it.