Author Topic: Facebook censorship, or just coincidence?  (Read 1253 times)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Facebook censorship, or just coincidence?
Went to post two links on FB.  Re-tried the one that didn't generate a preview.  It still won't generate a preview.  This isn't the first time this has happened, and I'm beginning to think it's intentional...  :sigh:

Re: Facebook censorship, or just coincidence?
Hi Joshua!

Facebook previewing is just really weird. I've had many cases where it would or would not show and I don't usually post political content to FB (and I very much doubt our socializing overlords would be interested in actively monitoring the minutae of dutch politics).

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Update:  I seem to have had the issue diagnosed.  Right-click > copy link good, CTRL+C > CTRL+V bad.  :rolleyes:  I'm sure there's an obscure, infuriating bug somewhere in Windows or Chrome causing this.  :ick:   EDIT: Oh, and hey, Josh, what's up?  XD

Offline Mika

You know, I tried to post this to FB.

Well, the FB didn't want to. I got probably to the NSA's to-be-watched list with it. Funny thing is, this is an official reply from the White House itself. The problem with the link is likely that it contains "death" and "White House" in the same context. But the reply points to the White House's official site.

Yes, I do fully realize the NSA is probably going to check me again since I posted it here. But that petition reply is just too much class to be avoided and I'm already marked :lol: (But no problems at the US customs so far) But I advise you not to try it on your FB page. And since you are going to try anyways, don't say then that I didn't warn you!
Relaxed movement is always more effective than forced movement.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Alright, another update -- apparently it will definitely work if you add a space after the link, and wait for the preview to generate (but I didn't do that with the other link.. but whatever I'm done trying to make logical sense of this).

And,

here:p  (You didn't say I couldn't use a URL shortener to get around the problem.) :drevil:

Moral of the story: software is terrible, especially web-based software. Nothing nefarious here, just mediocre programming.

"Never attribute to malice what can be explained by incompetence" and all that

Offline qwadtep

I'd be more willing to chock it up to iffy algorithms if Facebook hadn't been caught doing this sort of thing multiple times already.

Wow Facebook. Not just incompetent after all. Gross.