Author Topic: Capricorn-scented fallout (split from Urgent Call thread)  (Read 4524 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Capricorn-scented fallout (split from Urgent Call thread)
That's wishful thinking, pilot. The internet doesn't fit that utopian ideal. The garbage floats to the top and generates 34039 page threads in which people don't do any FreeSpace modding.

There's a code of conduct posted in public where you can read it line by line.

Feel free to start a dead vagina thread in protest of the neofascist moderators, I guess.

If you're very concerned about left wing bias, maybe don't post in GenDisc, the ****ty forum for political discussion.

Offline Lorric

No. But we might as well not have a gen disc at all if you go down that road. But there would have been no encouragement, quite the opposite, with no moderator intervention.

The problem with that kind of moderation is they made that decision for us. That should have been our decision to make, how to respond to that, if at all. And that includes if we for some reason all wanted to talk about a dead woman's vagina ourselves.

Remember a couple years ago, when you wanted to be a moderator?

Aside from a lot of other issues, this misunderstanding of what a moderator does is part of the reason why you aren't one.
What we as moderators do is making sure that discussions remain civil and do not devolve into screaming. That means that certain topics get shut down hard and fast if they turn up, because we know that nothing fruitful can come from them.
In this case, there was a short derail which was quickly excised from its origin thread. Would you rather have a dogpile of posters drowning out whatever the original post was about? Because that would be the consequence of not having moderators.

If you want to talk about dead vaginas, take it to the chans. Around here, we're civilized.

If only we had a special "pure ****posting" board to accommodate that kind of discussion  :doubt:

Given that 4chan, 8chan and reddit exist, I don't see a need for a dumping ground of internet edginess on this board.
I don't want to be anymore. I couldn't work with you (meaning the staff as a whole as an entity not you personally.) I would be ashamed to wear the blue or red badge because of what I was tied to by association.

Why did you delete? That was like the one thing left you guys were reliable on not doing.

Offline Lorric

That's wishful thinking, pilot. The internet doesn't fit that utopian ideal. The garbage floats to the top and generates 34039 page threads in which people don't do any FreeSpace modding.

There's a code of conduct posted in public where you can read it line by line.

Feel free to start a dead vagina thread in protest of the neofascist moderators, I guess.

If you're very concerned about left wing bias, maybe don't post in GenDisc, the ****ty forum for political discussion.
But if that's your concern we might as well just remove gen disc if that is all we want people to do.

It's just words. It doesn't mean anything.

If I was going to protest I would have done it when it happened. It would do no good.

Would that stop you if the roles were reversed?

So you're basically saying you don't give a **** about the capricorn incident and are just using it to whine about people disagreeing with you in ****ty Gendics threads. Okay, got it.

Seriously, when was the last time anyone got banned or warned for posting a stupid, immature, or far-right opinion if they kept it relatively civil?
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Why did you delete? That was like the one thing left you guys were reliable on not doing.

Read the comment. Mongoose gave his reasoning there.

Wrong.

If I was going to protest I would have done it when it happened. It would do no good.

And yet, you are vigorously protesting now.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Seriously, when was the last time anyone got banned or warned for posting a stupid, immature, or far-right opinion if they kept it relatively civil?

A looooong time ago.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Dog I think gendisc is so bad I demanded a permanent ban so I'd never get my dumb ass involved in a misinformed debate about alternative facts again.

There's nothing of value to be gained by repeatedly failing to change each others' minds on a modding forum.

Offline Lorric

So you're basically saying you don't give a **** about the capricorn incident and are just using it to whine about people disagreeing with you in ****ty Gendics threads. Okay, got it.
I do give a ****, and no.

Read the comment. Mongoose gave his reasoning there.

Wrong.

And yet, you are vigorously protesting now.
I did. But it used to be forbidden.

Well of course you're not going to admit it. Though it does puzzle me why you guys don't and persist with the charade even now. Especially when Scotty basically threw the guidelines in the bin wholesale months ago for all the forum to see and most of you went along with it.

It's not the same, since I'm talking wider HLP. All the same, possibly more fool me.

Offline Lorric

A looooong time ago.
That's because in many cases it doesn't work that way.

The way it does work is one side is allowed to do pretty much anything they want while the other is persecuted. Double standards.

Dog I think gendisc is so bad I demanded a permanent ban so I'd never get my dumb ass involved in a misinformed debate about alternative facts again.

There's nothing of value to be gained by repeatedly failing to change each others' minds on a modding forum.
Ah yes, I remember your self-requested bans now. Fair enough.

Offline PDibbs1972

• 2-∞ - User does not compute
It's about considerably more than politics. It's about the fact that a position of responsibility is about being balanced and not 'passing judgement', something that HLP severely wobbled on for quite a long time. I left because, rather than simply take action to stop a confrontation, it was instead decided that a decision should be made about who was 'right' and who was 'wrong' based on assumptions, so rather than simply stopping the problem, it was instead chosen to exacerbate it.

Seems to me the HLP does need to think seriously about what it expects from GD, because trolling isn't defined by the fact that it doesn't agree with what a Moderator 'thinks' the truth is, it's an action, not a position, political or otherwise.

-Flipside.

This thread needs to be locked, the plough run over it and sown with salt. There is absolutely nothing that can be gained by letting it run on. Lorric is Lorric, he will never be able to understand why deleting posts about Carrie Fisher's dead vagina is the work of decent people rather than censorious feminazis. This thread is in the rut of a hundred lorricthreads past and it's going to be horrible for everyone involved if it continues, especially if it keeps on rolling as a thread for everyone to post grievances at the mods.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Lorric

It's about considerably more than politics. It's about the fact that a position of responsibility is about being balanced and not 'passing judgement', something that HLP severely wobbled on for quite a long time. I left because, rather than simply take action to stop a confrontation, it was instead decided that a decision should be made about who was 'right' and who was 'wrong' based on assumptions, so rather than simply stopping the problem, it was instead chosen to exacerbate it.

Seems to me the HLP does need to think seriously about what it expects from GD, because trolling isn't defined by the fact that it doesn't agree with what a Moderator 'thinks' the truth is, it's an action, not a position, political or otherwise.

-Flipside.
Hi! Wow. Where did you come from, and why not just use your old account?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
This thread needs to be locked, the plough run over it and sown with salt. There is absolutely nothing that can be gained by letting it run on. Lorric is Lorric, he will never be able to understand why deleting posts about Carrie Fisher's dead vagina is the work of decent people rather than censorious feminazis. This thread is in the rut of a hundred lorricthreads past and it's going to be horrible for everyone involved if it continues, especially if it keeps on rolling as a thread for everyone to post grievances at the mods.

Agreed.