Author Topic: I have no knowledge about animé and peer pressure is getting to me please help.  (Read 17893 times)

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Re: I have no knowledge about animé and peer pressure is getting to me please help.
It is honestly a poor comparison. I mean heroin's pretty bad but it's not got anything on the negative effects anime has on people.
It's true, I mean, just look at how you turned out.
All those hours watching naruto and tomino's badly written works are really starting to take their toll on you :(

Come at me bro :P

G U A R A N T E E D
U
A
R
A
N
T
E
E
D
Replies

Works every time. I mean, I almost literally put a post directly after it saying that its bait. And you turboweebs still bite!  :p
I'm really not interested in having an actual cowboy bebop discussion. Because A. it's been too long since I saw it and don't feel like I can give any objective and insightful opinions about it. B. it's a show that a lot of fans have strong feelings about, and even saying 'I rate 8/10' is enough for them to reply with 'gr8 b8 m8'. It's never conductive for good conversation.

Who suggests what might be a good piece of information to have, esspeically if you are asking content creators - like Spoon (sorry for singleing you out)-

Some of the people who could concieveably post here also have well documented pet peeves, likes and dislikes, in case of Spoon they are quite obvious through is work. So combing that knowledge with the recommendation could be quite helping. Esspecially in cases when consensus is building from very different people.
It's actually super puzzling to me why you decide to single me out here. I mean, what shows have I actually personally recommended in here? (outside of the 11/10 masterpiece bible black, fun for the entire family.)
You assume, presume, suppose and infer that I am somehow a good example for the point you are trying to make. You say that I have 'well documented' likes and dislikes. Except, I pretty much never actually join anime discussions (and when I do, this thread happens so make of that what you will) and what I draw inspiration from for WoD is a really small sample base from all of the shows I've actually watched (which is around 570ish according to mal). And I dunno man, I enjoyed the **** out of Jojo, Clannad, Pani Poni Dash, Hajime no Ippo, Gundam, Black lagoon, Kaleido star and LoGH just to name a few random shows. Which I think is a pretty diverse selection.
When I actually do try my hand at recommending someone an anime series, I always try to recommend stuff based on what I think someone might end up liking, rather than just listing them my favorite mecha shows. Since I don't really know Joshua, I just gave him that rather helpful chart instead, so he can come up to his own conclusions.

You know what you did wrong (and it's not what you think), right?
You tell me what I did wrong exactly, my posts were great, amazing and of exceptional quality.

I'll just honestly never understand why people have to go out of their way to tell someone to stop liking something they don't like. Or to have their only contribution to a topic be "I don't like it." I mean, I've probably done my fairshare of it back when I was younger, but then I grew up and realized I was being a jerk for no reason for doing that.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Re: I have no knowledge about animé and peer pressure is getting to me please help.
Works every time. I mean, I almost literally put a post directly after it saying that its bait. And you turboweebs still bite!  :p

I know rite? I can't just let that extra effort go to waste

we are all just being tongue and cheek right?
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

i hear the avatar the last airbender is a good animes
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
I have never taken heroin and peer pressure is getting to me please help. :p
I am the person who does the totally sane comparison of a form of entertainment to a destructive harddrugs.
A bit jumpy, huh?
When I went to my comics shop (back when I didn't use Amazon and Bookdepository for my dose) I used to say the owner was my pusher, similar metaphors regarding nerdy stuff are very commonplace.

Sad childhood words
I am the person who has to go out of his way to tell everyone he doesn't like a form of entertainment, despite nobody asking.
Hey, I tried to persuade someone not to give in to peer pressure, can't fault one for trying.  :P

Besides considering "anime" a genre is like considering "animation" a genre, there are about a few light years distance between Howl's Moving Castle and the stupid crap most anime fans seem to be into.
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
You seem to be one of the few in the thread that actually seems to get it though.

A bit jumpy, huh?
When I went to my comics shop (back when I didn't use Amazon and Bookdepository for my dose) I used to say the owner was my pusher, similar metaphors regarding nerdy stuff are very commonplace.
You clearly have a different nerd circle which uses a more... exotic vocabulary to describe their hobbies, than I do.
And it's all about the person saying it. For example, I know for a fact that Hades is a dirty weeb (in denial), which gives all of his posts a slightly different context to place things in.

Besides considering "anime" a genre is like considering "animation" a genre, there are about a few light years distance between Howl's Moving Castle and the stupid crap most anime fans seem to be into.
Wow, I stand in awe at your very informed opinion.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter

Mobile Suit Gundam movie trilogy.  Yes, the one from the early '80s.
Who the **** recommends this to a first time watcher?

I mean, I love gundam but come on man.
You don't just jump onto whitebase like that.

I suppose he could jump on at Gundam: The Origin.  I like the movie trilogy because A) it's the classics and B) it shows people not all anime is about spiky people with their tits hanging out.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Who suggests what might be a good piece of information to have, esspeically if you are asking content creators - like Spoon (sorry for singleing you out)-

Some of the people who could concieveably post here also have well documented pet peeves, likes and dislikes, in case of Spoon they are quite obvious through is work. So combing that knowledge with the recommendation could be quite helping. Esspecially in cases when consensus is building from very different people.
It's actually super puzzling to me why you decide to single me out here. I mean, what shows have I actually personally recommended in here? (outside of the 11/10 masterpiece bible black, fun for the entire family.)
You assume, presume, suppose and infer that I am somehow a good example for the point you are trying to make. You say that I have 'well documented' likes and dislikes.
[...]
what I draw inspiration from for WoD is a really small sample base from all of the shows I've actually watched (which is around 570ish according to mal).

Okay, my argument was badly strucuted - I concede to that...

Singling you out was mostly because you were the first person that came to mind when I looked for a content creator here on HLP whose work was not derivative from FS2 ('cause originality) and who has a public presence (one of your admirable traits is that you keep a public profile and keep your fans in the loop).
There was no ill intend here when I procceeded to talk about that you can generally find works that inspire a content creator when you look at their work closely - even if the exact name of said inspiration escapes you as member of the audience.

I would have stood as my own example if not a) I am not nearly as prolific as you when it comes to released content, b) I don't actually like to maintain a public presence for various reasons and c) any list of my inspirations would lead off topic, esspecially when I reference some obscure **** (e.g. the upcoming The Lost Generation - Ashcroft is inspired by a subgenre of 19th century adventure novels in such a way that tries to mimic a central trope but to without the bull**** patriachical baggae of majority of entries in said subgenre*)

* Whetever or not I accomplished that is one of great insecurities about that story - that's why I took on another writer recently.

When I actually do try my hand at recommending someone an anime series, I always try to recommend stuff based on what I think someone might end up liking, rather than just listing them my favorite mecha shows. Since I don't really know Joshua, I just gave him that rather helpful chart instead, so he can come up to his own conclusions.

I don't dispute your good intentions.

As I was trying to express earlier, a recommendation from someone whose inspiration for his/her own works can be traced to works of the genre (even my a hack like me) can be helpful in a different way. Any recommendation you or I make will be contextualized with what either of us has created by anyone who knows it, giving them a unique apprication for both the inspring and resulting content.

Additionally, "I like what they do, maybe I like what inspired them" is a valid line of going forward. Heck, that's how I arrived at my apprication for 1920-1930 Hollywood's cinematography (you know how got stuff into movies despite the Production Code).

You know what you did wrong (and it's not what you think), right?
You tell me what I did wrong exactly, my posts were great, amazing and of exceptional quality.

I'll just honestly never understand why people have to go out of their way to tell someone to stop liking something they don't like. Or to have their only contribution to a topic be "I don't like it." I mean, I've probably done my fairshare of it back when I was younger, but then I grew up and realized I was being a jerk for no reason for doing that.

Why do you cut off the next line? - The "too much coffee"-remark was the telling part.

This was more about you getting more frantic and somewhat disruptive to the discussion after you posted your "chart to end all charts". You kinda undermined your own intent to help in my opinion.

(My dislike for double-posts might not be well known - I prefer to edit my posts unless they have been replied to. I know many people do it differently but I prefer to do that way)

The "it's not what you think"-part was in reference to your own post:
Ah **** I forgot, I am posting in the bad part of hardlight, time to bail.

And you just know engaging an obvious non-entry into the discussion by Hades might not turn out to help this discusion escape the looming threat of a self-reinforcing shouting match.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 10:47:37 am by 0rph3u5 »
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

All of you should be working towards a single minded goal: Feeding me animé.

Everything else is irellevant!

Hidden Text: Hidden because its a really large picture • Show
That's a very nice chart.

Also, I agree that Bebop is overrated. It's still very good, and I would gladly recommend it, but it's not the God-Anime that some people make it out to be ;)

(Perhaps not very popular opinion: people should watch the 2003 Fullmetal Alchemist adaptation over Brotherhood.)
Honestly, I think both versions are very good and deal with similar themes. My one complaint about Brotherhood is that they really rush through the early plotlines that were already covered by the 2003 series.

Overall, while I personally like 2003 slightly more, I would probably recommend Brotherhood first since, A) I think the animation is of higher quality, being more recent & all, B) it's a bit more lighthearted and C) action-wise it's a bit closer from you'd expect from an action series.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Brotherhood also has the added bonus of actually concluding the story.

I'll keep this response tl;dr because as Joshua rightfully pointed out, this is all irrelevant.
First two large blocks of text
Fair enough.

Why do you cut off the next line? - The "too much coffee"-remark was the telling part.

This was more about you getting more frantic and somewhat disruptive to the discussion after you posted your "chart to end all charts". You kinda undermined your own intent to help in my opinion.

(My dislike for double-posts might not be well known - I prefer to edit my posts unless they have been replied to. I know many people do it differently but I prefer to do that way)

The "it's not what you think"-part was in reference to your own post:
Ah **** I forgot, I am posting in the bad part of hardlight, time to bail.
The thing you are doing here is reading my facetiousness posts and taking them seriously. I triple post when I'm just feeling silly (Blame Battuta, I learned it from watching him)
I knew fullwell what you meant, the fact that I call my own drivel posts 'excellent' should probably have tipped you off somewhat. I apologize that my lighthearted posting caused disruption to this ultra serious thread filled with serious discussion.

And you just know engaging an obvious non-entry into the discussion by Hades might not turn out to help this discusion escape the looming threat of a self-reinforcing shouting match.
Again, you mistake jest for seriousness. Hades and I know each other quite well, this is the only way we know how to communicate.

I suppose he could jump on at Gundam: The Origin.  I like the movie trilogy because A) it's the classics and B) it shows people not all anime is about spiky people with their tits hanging out.
Anime with spiky people with their tits hanging out is objectively the best anime though. I mean, come on.
Tits.

Urutorahappī!!

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.
You seem to be one of the few in the thread that actually seems to get it though.

A bit jumpy, huh?
You clearly have a different nerd circle which uses a more... exotic vocabulary to describe their hobbies, than I do.
And it's all about the person saying it. For example, I know for a fact that Hades is a dirty weeb (in denial), which gives all of his posts a slightly different context to place things in.
Dude, it's not just my circle:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CrackIsCheaper
Wow, I stand in awe at your very informed opinion.

I thought I was stating the obvious, here in Italy anime are more or less like superheroes (in the sense they are essentially mainstream), even if you are a weirdo like me that doesn't like them you learn enough about them via pop-cultural osmosis.
Hell, before getting fed up I grew up on heavy doses of "The Rose of Versailles", Fist of The North Star, Saint Seya, Lupin III and that ridiculous cartoon about Japan winning the football world cup more or less like everyone here.
Why do american otakus are so readily offended and passive-aggressive about everything?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 11:39:42 am by Det. Bullock »
"I pity the poor shades confined to the euclidean prison that is sanity." - Grant Morrison
"People assume  that time is a strict progression of cause to effect,  but *actually*  from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more  like a big ball  of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff." - The Doctor

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
I thought I was stating the obvious, here in Italy anime are more or less like superheroes (in the sense they are essentially mainstream), even if you are a weirdo like me that doesn't like them you learn enough about them via pop-cultural osmosis.
Hell, before getting fed up I grew up on heavy doses of "The Rose of Versailles", Fist of The North Star, Saint Seya, Lupin III and that ridiculous cartoon about Japan winning the football world cup more or less like everyone here.
Why do american otakus are so readily offended and passive-aggressive about everything?

It's a mystery, I'm dutch myself so I wouldn't really know. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Maybe rather than wondering why people are being 'passive-aggressive and readily offended' when you tell them their hobbies is crap, you should do some self-reflection and wonder if it's maybe your bad posts that makes people not really want to engage you in a serious matter.
I hope I'm not stating the obvious here.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Turambar

Gundam Build Fighters season 1 references the Italian popularity of some anime with their character Ricardo Fellini, who enters competitions with a Wing Gundam model. 

10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Gundam Build Fighters season 1 references the Italian popularity of some anime with their character Ricardo Fellini, who enters competitions with a Wing Gundam model.
The absolute finest gunpla commerical I've ever had the pleasure of watching.
Too bad the second season didn't quite reach the heights of the first.
Urutorahappī!!

Offline Turambar

Yeah, the first season has great fights.  The second season is just about spamming your special attacks over and over.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
Josh if you want more recommendations may I ask what you might be interested in? There are a lot of directions things could go in. what are some examples of (not anime) things you have enjoyed?
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Det. Bullock

• Madman in a box.

It's a mystery, I'm dutch myself so I wouldn't really know. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Maybe rather than wondering why people are being 'passive-aggressive and readily offended' when you tell them their hobbies is crap, you should do some self-reflection and wonder if it's maybe your bad posts that makes people not really want to engage you in a serious matter.
I hope I'm not stating the obvious here.
You still acted like you are under the same kind of persecution complex though.
My intention was not to offend, and I apologize for having done so unwittingly but you seem not to conceive that perhaps there are nerd communities that don't take themselves so seriously as to get offended for what was a mere joke about our nerd passions, I mean, we are a community about space pew pew, good grief!

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
@Joshua:
Gladly so, but as the question just came up again, more data would be nice to help you on your way.

Additionally, would you like a salad on the side?

@Spoon:
So misunderstandings in good faith ... Well, chalk it up to fact that discussion boards on the internet never really became quite the playground to me as they are to other persons of my ethnicity, appearent gender, age, social milieu and access to technology
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Okay, some random things I like:
Westworld
Person of Interest
Battlestar Galactica
The Last Kingdom
Elementary
Sherlock
Game of Thrones

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Here are things I would recommend, apart from Ghost in the Shell and Bebop :
1. Samurai Champloo: Two ronin help a girl get revenge in edo Japan. Also, some sweet Japanese rap is involved. It's awesome.
2. One Punch Man: This is what happens after an anime character actually manages to become the strongest fighter in the world. Incredibly well drawn and animated, very funny, and on occasion very poignant indeed.
3. Macross Frontier: Macross is a series that skirts the edges of being very very silly, what with all the jpop-driven space mecha combat, but when it works, it really works. Frontier is probably the best of the bunch (although I have a soft spot for Macross Zero and Delta)
4. Black Lagoon: very, very good action anime about a bunch of mercs running around south-east Asia in a torpedo boat.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 03:31:47 pm by The E »
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns