Author Topic: The *noob-friendly* Guide to Installing FreeSpace 2 Open  (Read 188696 times)

Offline Richdog

The *noob-friendly* Guide to Installing FreeSpace 2 Open
These instructions are out of date.  The currently recommended solution is to use the FreeSpace Open Installer.

This installation method is based on using an online installer. The installer itself is rather small and the idea is that you get it running and it'll download all the components you choose and place them into appropriate places. In theory, the Installer should be able to resume its downloads, meaning that you do NOT have to download everything on a single run. If for some reason you must stop downloading, you can resume the download by repeating the same steps you took on your first attempt. The Installer will notice what files it has already downloaded and won't try to download them again.
    Alternative methods include:

The (Noob Friendly) Guide to Installing FreeSpace Open

Wiki:
    Well, the wiki is here and will tell you everything you want to know, but I've summed it up here:

• What is FreeSpace?
    The FreeSpace series is quite simply in my opinion the second best hardcore space-combat SIM ever made after TIE Fighter. Yes, I did say ever, like in the history of gaming as we know it.

Not only did it boast visuals that were at the time like being in some kind of film, it had one of the greatest, most epic story lines to boot. Nothing made you feel like you were fighting the greatest battle in history like this game. We're talking an engine that supported oodles of ships on screen at once without breaking a sweat, cruisers so big that you had to fly down the length of them for a minute or two before you got past them, and which fired Babylon 5 style beam weapons at each other while you sat there in your piddly little fighter. Added to this the atmosphere was immense... frequent comms chatter from allies giving a real feel of being part of something, and the constantly changing dynamic mission objectives giving everything a "wing and a prayer" feel. The sense of scale was (is) simply unparalleled in my humble opinion.

The reviews agreed:

FreeSpace Roundup

FreeSpace 2 Metacritic

• What's the plot?
    Basically the story revolves around Terrans (humans) meeting an alien species called the Vasudans. The Terrans offend the Vasudans, and as a result, a war starts, lasting several years. After much pain and suffering a new threat arrives in the form of a xenophobic alien species whose sole aim is to exterminate everyone they meet, simply because err... they can. As a result the Terrans and the Vasudans stop fighting and start pooling their resources to fight this new enemy. Thus begins the 'Great War'.

• So why should I play it?
    Duh, re-read the first paragraph. Stunning visuals? Epic gameplay like being in a movie, possibly even better? A dogfighting engine and HUD/comms system second only to the greatest space sim EVER made? Intelligent and clever AI that behaved exactly like it was supposed to? We are talking about gaming history here, you owe it to yourself to play this, you owe it to the creators of the game to play this, and by God you owe it to your children and your childrens children. Ahem.

• Ok ok I get the message... but aren't they a bit old now?
    Well, yes and no. You see, a community of fans dedicated a significant portion of their free time enhancing the now open-source game engine of FS2 into a "bells and whistles" epic, OpenGL-capable version that not only significantly upgrades every ship model, planet etc etc in the game... but even runs like a dream both in widescreen resolutions (I use 1680x1050) and using AA. Concourse and briefing screens/sequences are still in low res but if this bothers you then you are quite frankly a plank, and should be worrying about the in-game bits instead.

Let me stress again that you can not only play FreeSpace 2 in extreme graphical goodness, but also the original FreeSpace and Silent Threat expansion pack with the help of a mod known as FSPort. Hell, Silent Threat has even been completely revamped and re-written to make it the campaign it should have been in the original game. We're talking new missions, new scripting, new voiceovers. Epic.

• Do I need anything special to play?
    [list=1]
    • OpenGL capable GPU (Shader Model 3 recommended)
    • CPU: Anything respectable made after 2003
    • Joystick (not required): (proper one preferred) or X-box 360 pad
    • HDD space: a few gigs

• Alright, I'm sold. So what do I do?
    Right, I will attempt to provide as a simple guide as I can to getting all this up and running as painlessly as possible... follow the guide below to get yourself in space-combat bliss:

------------------------------------------

Step-by-Step Installation Guide for FreeSpace Open (Windows) (it's really not difficult):

• 0.5) Install OpenAL:
    Required! Get OpenAL for your operating system. If you are a Windows user, download the file named "oalinst", extract it and run the exe. Click "Yes" or "Next" once, the "Finish". That's it.
    There's no need to be concerned about installing OpenAL. It is just an open source audio API developed by Creative. It will not do anything evil and won't break anything.

• 1) Get a legit copy of FreeSpace 2:
    This is required, and is all you need to purchase to play all three games. Though it would be appreciated if you bought all the games for the sake of clear conscience. If you have a half-decent internet connection and a paltry $5.99/game to spare, then head right over to Good Old Games now and buy them, safe in the knowledge that not only is it one convenient to use install file (no CD's) and DRM-free, but that it will run on Vista just fine and dandy.

Install it to to wherever you like, but I recommend C:\games\Freespace 2 if you want minimum effort and not have to do anything really complicated like change an install path when you install FSO. (Moderator person's note: anything under \Program files\ can be tricky with Vista/7, so yeah, C:\Games\FreeSpace2\ or something like that is a good option.)

• 2) Get a copy of Turley's Turney's Turrey's Turkey's Trey's Turey's FreeSpace Open Installer (and learn to spell it, dammit!):
    It's the Win (Zipped .exe, 19 MB) link at the top of this thread.

Once it's downloaded, run it, and click Next, then point the program towards the install path of your FreeSpace 2 installation. The default is C:\Games\Freespace2, but if you changed it to something different then you'll need to do the same here so that everything is pointed towards the right place.

Click Next again and it will now give you a choice of options of what the program will download. Click "The Works: Absolutely Everything" if you want to get the full benefits of all this. You can also select what components you want to download, but remember: if you want the new eyecandy, make sure the MediaVPs are selected.

Click "Next" again and you'll see all the options ticked. Click "Next again to start the download process.

The updater will then go away to the internetz and download every component it needs to update the game, and install it for you too. It WILL take a while, so leave it to run for an hour or two or however long it takes until the log displays "Done" and the "Next" button becomes selectable. Congrats, you've just installed FreeSpace Open. :D Good, now we're almost there.

• 3) Initial configuration and Launcher update:
    Woo-hoo, you're almost there, all that's left now is to spend a few minutes ensuring we are using the correct 3.6.12 executable, and then configuring the engine using the updated 5.5f Launcher which should be in your FreeSpace 2 installation directory.

Go to your \freespace2\ directory and now open Launcher.exe. Create a shortcut on your desktop to make things easier in future. Once it's been opened you'll see a bog-standard Launcher.

At the moment the Launcher may be set to use the older 3.6.9 version of the FSO game engine, and we want it to be running the newer 3.6.12.

To do this click the "Browse" button at the top of the launcher and it will open up to your root directory. Scroll down to where the "fs2_open_3_6_12....exe" executable is and double-click it to set the Launcher to point to the 3.6.12 build sort of like in the screenshot below. Make sure you pick the one that has an "r" instead of a "d". "d" means debug and those exes just aren't meant for actual playing.

4) Graphics/MediaVPs configuration for maximum eye-candy:

Thanks to this thread.

If you opted to download the MediaVPs, they should be located in \freespace2\mediavps\ . This is how we'll use them:

Click the "MOD" tab of the Launcher and click the "Select MOD" button. This will open an explorer window. Locate the "mediavps" folder and highlight it then click "OK" like in the screenie below:

Some boneheads seem to think that you should move the MediaVPs from \freespace2\mediavps\  to \freespace2\ so that life would be easier. Feel free to ask any seasoned HLP member why this is stupid and should not be done. -- Jeff Vader

IMPORTANT CAMPAIGN INFO:

The main FreeSpace 2 campaign is the one enabled by default. If you want to start from the very beginning of the FreeSpace 1 campaign (and I see no reason why you wouldn't) then you need to use the "MOD" tab on the launcher and select the original campaign using the instructions below:

Simply click "Select mod", select "fsport-mediavps" folder from the list, and click "OK". Then start the game, create a new pilot, go to the Campaign Room and select the FS1 main campaign. Voila. When you are done with the original campaign and want to try "Silent Threat: Reborn", follow the instructions in this thread. Note that you should have ST:R already installed so there's no need to download anything. When you're done with both of those and want to play the daddy, FS2, then simply change your current mod folder to "mediavps" from the Launcher, as we've done before.

Now to finish the rest of the settings and get all the graphics options set in the launcher:

First set the basic resolution and engine... Select OpenGL (though this shouldn't matter since the FSO engine uses OpenGL regardless of what is selected with the Launcher). Mine are currently as follows:

Now click the "Features" tab and use the drop-down box to select the different aspect of the settings, like in the screenshot below:

Under "Graphics", enable:

• Specular
    • Glowmaps
    • Environment Maps
    • Normal Maps
    • Lighting to Missiles
    Enable everything under "HUD"

Under "Gameplay" enable:

• Use Models For Ship Selection
    • Enable 3D Warp
    • Enable Flash Upon Warp
    That's enough for the Features tab. Now go through the other tabs and set all the rest of the stuff that you'll need to get sound and joystick goodness etc, you know the drill.

IMPORTANT PILOT PROFILE INFORMATION:

I am told that using the same pilot profile across different mods can can cause erratic behaviour in-game. Go to the pilot selection room from within the game and click the "Clone" button to create a duplicate of your pilot profile, and rename it to reflect the mod you are running (eg: RICHDOG FS1), and do this for each mod, ensuring you load the correct profile each time in each different mod.

• 6) Configuring Multiplayer:
    How to get Freespace 2 Multiplayer working FAQ and Guide

• 7) ZOMG that actually wasn't too painful... is that it?
    Err, yes basically. All that's required now is to launch the game and configure it for how you want it. There may be a few detail settings to max, and remember that all campaign/options screens that are not in-game look like the originals, ie: low-res. You get in the game and that's where the difference lies.

Also remember this is a hardcore space-sim, so there are a LOT of controls to master and configure, though to start with you can get by with the core basic shoot/targeting/comms options for a good few missions until you really start to gel with the game and then start hungering for more.

That was awesome! Are there any MODS?

Yeah baby yeah... there are mods... quite a few actually FreeSpaceMods.net's downloads section
    (some as yet unreleased) very briefly that I personally consider suitably epic and that I'll definitely be keeping an eye on:

Babylon 5. With the FSO engine. Yes, think large beam weapons and awesome looking ships. This does not require a FreeSpace 2 installation, it is completely stand-alone. It is now at final release and looks simply awesome, but I think the devs would have liked to polish it a bit more but never really got chance to before the project reached an end.

I downloaded the "DVD Install" just so that I got all the extra goodies, user-made campaigns, missions etc and just installed the lot. Make sure you get Zathras too, if you start installing TBP!

Screenshots

Video 1

Video 2

Forums here

Epic, epic mod... and again completely stand-alone. These guys are basically converting the re-imagined TV series to the FSO engine, complete with a re-written physics engine to emulate the ships in the series, and some BADASS models. Think the most epic moments of BSG (Finding the pegasus, fleets of baseships firing nukes while supported by swarms of fighters, the hwole shebang).

There is currently only a demo of this on the site, but the full release is most definitely live and well, and is scheduled for some time pretty soon.

Screenshots

Video 1

Video page on youtube

Forums here

Wow how did I miss this one? Awesome looking TC, the screenies look VERY impressive. This could well be the FS2 TC to end all FS2 TCs!

Screenshots

Videos (old)

Forums here

Another one I forgot to post originally... this is another TC that has been given a LOT of love. Those of you who were gaming in days of yore will remember Wing Commander as one of the grand daddies of space sims, and this looks to be very faithful to the original concepts.

Screenshots

Videos:

Forums here:

Well that's it... I'm spent. Even if this guide only sucks in one or two people to this awesome game then I will consider my work done. I hope the guide helped to make the process as simple as possible, and if you have any questions please let me know.

:)[/list]
    « Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 12:14:46 am by Goober5000 »

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
    • Ask me about GORT!
      • Steam
      • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
    Re: The Idiots Guide to Installing Freespace 2 Source *NOOB FRIENDLY*
    Oof. You need to update that for 3.6.10 and OpenGL... :( let me run through this a little more carefully...

OK, notes.

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS: Freespace 2 Open will run on Windows 2000, XP, and Vista, as well as Mac OSX and Linux.
    You don't need a DX8 capable video card, as it runs better in OpenGL.

We recommend you refer to the project as "Freespace 2 Open" as "Source" is generally used to refer to games built on Valve's Source engine (i.e. Half-Life 2.) The Freespace 2 Source Code Project (SCP) is the ongoing community effort to improve and enhance the codebase, while FSO is the actual program you're running.

3.6.9 is, by our standards, ancient. We absolutely recommend using 3.6.10. There's no Official 3.6.10 release, and I have no idea what build the launcher downloads, but by any standard it's virtually guaranteed to be preferred over 3.6.9.

With the launcher, again, Direct3D is depreciated and you should always be running OpenGL. Additionally you ought to be a little more careful when selecting Launcher options; ticking all the checkboxes will wreak havoc on your game! The presets are fine, but people should pay attention to what they're doing (like leaving Wing Commander Saga options unchecked unless they're playing WCS.)

The MediaVPs deserve a special mention as they're the greatest graphical enhancement given to the game. Unfortunately they're also the biggest pain in the butt right now as A) the files the Installer downloads are corrupted and B) there's a little bit of hacking needed to work correctly with ST:R. There's no easy (read: noob-friendly) patching process right now though I'm gonna get on top of it, so perhaps what you have now is OK.

Once those are fixed you should clarify that, to run Freespace Port with the Media VPs you run "FSPort MVPs" as your mod, and to run Freespace 2 with Media VPs you run "Media VPs" as your mod, with the note that they're recommended for higher-end systems (especially as the Advanced Effects mod is downloaded by default!)

Be sure to mention that Freespace Port is a Port of Freespace to Freespace 2, and not the original game. That's available from GOG for $6 as well.

You absolutely must mention that every time you change your Mod in the launcher, you should CREATE A NEW PILOT. Cloning your current pilot is an option in the Pilot Select screen for this very reason; it will save your control and graphics configuration but toss your stats. This is necessary to avoid corruption and other bizarre issues.

Mods: If I were you I would point to released campaigns like Procyon Insurgency, Blue Planet, Transcend, Sync, Derelict, Awakenings, etc. rather than TCs which may not see a release for years. After all, they've already downloaded them!

Finally, you ought to have a section on getting started with multiplayer. There's a sticky post on the Multiplayer forum called "Getting started with FS2NetD" that you could perhaps paraphrase.

Overall you have some good screenshots which show, rather than tell, how to get started, and it's a good start. If this is edited to be up to date (and we get some issues sorted out on our end) then this could very well be made into a PDF and redistributed with the installer. Good job.
    « Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 09:43:48 am by Galemp »
    "Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Richdog

Yeah anything i've missed please let me know asap... but that's the process I used and it all seems to be working fine in SP.  If you have any additions i'll make them! :)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
    • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
      • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
    :welcomesilver:

Welcome to the HLPBB!!! :D That's a superb first post... :)
    The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
    Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
    FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
    A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
    My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
    • Ask me about GORT!
      • Steam
    Post edited. Read up.
    "Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Richdog

Oof. You need to update that for 3.6.10 and OpenGL... :( let me run through this a little more carefully...

OK, notes.

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS: Freespace 2 Open will run on Windows 2000, XP, and Vista, as well as Mac OSX and Linux.
    You don't need a DX8 capable video card, as it runs better in OpenGL.

We recommend you refer to the project as "Freespace 2 Open" as "Source" is generally used to refer to games built on Valve's Source engine (i.e. Half-Life 2.) The Freespace 2 Source Code Project (SCP) is the ongoing community effort to improve and enhance the codebase, while FSO is the actual program you're running.

3.6.9 is, by our standards, ancient. We absolutely recommend using 3.6.10. There's no Official 3.6.10 release, and I have no idea what build the launcher downloads, but by any standard it's virtually guaranteed to be preferred over 3.6.9.

With the launcher, again, Direct3D is depreciated and you should always be running OpenGL. Additionally you ought to be a little more careful when selecting Launcher options; ticking all the checkboxes will wreak havoc on your game! The presets are fine, but people should pay attention to what they're doing (like leaving Wing Commander Saga options unchecked unless they're playing WCS.)

The MediaVPs deserve a special mention as they're the greatest graphical enhancement given to the game. Unfortunately they're also the biggest pain in the butt right now as A) the files the Installer downloads are corrupted and B) there's a little bit of hacking needed to work correctly with ST:R. There's no easy (read: noob-friendly) patching process right now though I'm gonna get on top of it, so perhaps what you have now is OK.

Once those are fixed you should clarify that, to run Freespace Port with the Media VPs you run "FSPort MVPs" as your mod, and to run Freespace 2 with Media VPs you run "Media VPs" as your mod, with the note that they're recommended for higher-end systems (especially as the Advanced Effects mod is downloaded by default!)

Be sure to mention that Freespace Port is a Port of Freespace to Freespace 2, and not the original game. That's available from GOG for $6 as well.

You absolutely must mention that every time you change your Mod in the launcher, you should CREATE A NEW PILOT. Cloning your current pilot is an option in the Pilot Select screen for this very reason; it will save your control and graphics configuration but toss your stats. This is necessary to avoid corruption and other bizarre issues.

Mods: If I were you I would point to released campaigns like Procyon Insurgency, Blue Planet, Transcend, Sync, Derelict, Awakenings, etc. rather than TCs which may not see a release for years. After all, they've already downloaded them!

Finally, you ought to have a section on getting started with multiplayer. There's a sticky post on the Multiplayer forum called "Getting started with FS2NetD" that you could perhaps paraphrase.

Overall you have some good screenshots which show, rather than tell, how to get started, and it's a good start. If this is edited to be up to date (and we get some issues sorted out on our end) then this could very well be made into a PDF and redistributed with the installer. Good job.

Ok some good info there... and it shows how little progress i've made yet getting to grips with all this jazz hehe.

1) I didn't realise it ran much better with OpenGL.  Is that in terms of looks AND performance... or is it just performance-oriented?

2) Ahh Media VP's... so they aren't installed correctly?  ****, I was thinking it didn't look as good as the screenshots.  I'll find the guide for that take a good read.

3) Multiplayer I have no idea as of yet as I literally only installed the stuff today... but if necessary I can check the guide that's there, paraphrase it, and give credit where it's due

4) Had no idea about the mod option killing my pilot stats... that is a very good thing to raise and I will amend this to reflect.  So just to confirm... if I change the mod for ANY reason it will delete all progress in anything else if I don't clone?

Thanks for the info. :)

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
    • Ask me about GORT!
      • Steam
    Re: The Idiots Guide to Installing Freespace 2 Source *NOOB FRIENDLY* *WIP*
    1) I didn't realise it ran much better with OpenGL.  Is that in terms of looks AND performance... or is it just performance-oriented?

The D3D codebase hasn't been updated in a while, so if by 'looks' you mean 'not having weird glitches and texture corruption' then yes, it looks better. OGL also supports the most advanced graphical updates, like normal maps.

2) Ahh Media VP's... so they aren't installed correctly?  ****, I was thinking it didn't look as good as the screenshots.  I'll find the guide for that take a good read.

Sadly, you'll have to install the Media VPs manually from the release thread, then select them as your mod from the launcher to get the most graphically out of Freespace. The Freespace Port Media VPs should work fine (though they require the original Media VPs first.) Also note that the 3.6.10 Media VPs require a 3.6.10 build to work.

3) Multiplayer I have no idea as of yet as I literally only installed the stuff today... but if necessary I can check the guide that's there, paraphrase it, and give credit where it's due

Sure thing. Multi works amazingly well nowadays. Here's what you need to know: the original matchmaking service, PXO, has been shut down, and its replacement, FS2NetD, uses the same interface. So while the web interface and login information is all done through FS2NetD, in-game you'll be configuring the PXO options.

4) Had no idea about the mod option killing my pilot stats... that is a very good thing to raise and I will amend this to reflect.  So just to confirm... if I change the mod for ANY reason it will delete all progress in anything else if I don't clone?

You don't need to delete your old pilot, you can just clone it. For instance, I have about ten pilots on my current computer, each one named for the mod I play with them.

Can someone clarify what it is that goes haywire with using the same pilot? I'm not entirely sure, but I think it has something to do with campaign-granted technologies and tech room updates not being applied.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 10:13:39 am by Galemp »

Offline Richdog

Ok I am now downloading all the VP;s (Complete pack and music pack) and am going to do the install.

A question regarding the 3.6.10 build... do I need to reinstall FS2 completely to use this build?  I can't find a guide to installing it...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
    • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
    Nope. Just download one, drop it in your main FS2 folder, select it in the launcher. You should see new launcher options like 'normal maps'.

Offline Richdog

Ok I have just figured it all out and pointed to the .10 build and enabled the VP's... all I can say is: "OMFG". :D

Seriously, it looks awesome, and now I know what to do with the VP's I am going to edit my guide and add the bit about pointing to the .10 build.  It looks amazing, I can't believe I didn't have it enabled before LOL!

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
    • Prevents attraction.
      • Wordpress.com Blog
    The 3.6.10 build is still in the nightly build stage, however, and is not finalised yet. You will need to check http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/board,173.0.html once in a while to see if a new build is up. With every newer build, the game becomes more stable with fewer errors and glitches (usually). In fact, as of r5083, the game should run very stably, albeit with texture inconsistencies across ships.
    « Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 12:09:16 pm by Androgeos Exeunt »
    My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
    MP-Ryan
    Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Ugh, make the primary mods link to FSmods, Sectorgame isn't updated like it used to. And maybe add that mods are known as campaigns, seeing as stuff under the 'mods' directories FSmods and Sectorgame are just modding resources, like ships and stuff that won't appear in game unless you make new missions with them.
    Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
    • Administrator
      • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ

Both.

Bear in mind that if you attempt to run D3D8 with a 3.6.10 build the game will simply ignore you and run OpenGL regardless. That does occasionally lead to people saying that D3D8 works. It really doesn't. :)

And if you are going to insist on links to unreleased TCs you should add ones to SoL and Diaspora so that you have the Big 5. There are some other really good TCs out there but they're not as well known yet.
    Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Richdog

Ok the guide has just had a MAJOR update reflecting feedback from these FS2 forums... it is now more accurate and has changes to reflect the newer build, launcher and VP's... and should get you all the way through on a basic level.

I need to add a section for using updated nightly builds now that i've done research on them, so this won't be a problem.  Other than that I need to delve into the impact of using different mods/profiles a bit more and will be asking questions on that tommorrow. And yeah, i'll sort multiplayer out too.

Now i'm pooped and off to play some FS2...  :lol:

*wipes brow*

:D

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
    • Ask me about GORT!
      • Steam
    Re: The Idiots Guide to Installing Freespace 2 Open Source *NOOB FRIENDLY* *WIP*
    Don't forget, if you want to play FSPort with the Media VPs you need to select "FSPort MediaVPs" as your mod.

Offline Richdog

Re: The Idiots Guide to Installing Freespace 2 Open Source *NOOB FRIENDLY* *WIP*
    Don't forget, if you want to play FSPort with the Media VPs you need to select "FSPort MediaVPs" as your mod.

Weird... I didn't realise that and loaded up the original and thought to myself "Hmm it doesn't look bad actually".  Now to try with VP enabled... :D

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
    • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
    Don't forget to add Diaspora up there -- while BtRL is still in development, most of the old BtRL team moved to Diaspora.

Offline Richdog

To be honest those are the last things i'll worry about... they were added as an afterthought.  When i've finished getting the guide sorted then i'll worry about fair mod project coverage. :)

Made a few formatting revisions and added a screenshot for the Video tab of the launcher.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
    • Prevents attraction.
      • Wordpress.com Blog
    Eh, don't worry about mod coverage. 300% of the active members on HLP can give you too many pointers to list.
    My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
    MP-Ryan
    Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
      • Minecraft
      • EaWPR
    300%?

You could check the wiki if you need more stuff to add to your guide.

As a side not, Procyon Insurgency is definitely not "noob friendly."