Author Topic: Perspectives?  (Read 3037 times)

Offline procdrone

• Formerly TheHound
  • Balance breaker! Thats me!
    • Steam
With all the ohs and ahs, nice text, nice videos, and stuff... did you guys ever imagined that new BP act might not blow minds like everyone expects it? Did you even gave it a thought, that it might not be as half as good as advertised? Everyone getting hyped, but what if its just not that mindblowing?

Have you given that scenario a though?

Of course, im not stating any facts. It is just a lone idea at 1 AM, beeing tired, and just passing through forums.
Either way, im not one of the people that imagine THAT scenario.

Alright, I quit.
--Did it! It's RELEASED! VeniceMirror Thread--

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth
Well, of course it might. Probably not, though; the BP team can deliver, we all know that.

Better to stay positive than raise the spectres of possible bad futures. There are better ways to blow one's time at 1 in the morning.
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

idk if i get this thread

"guys what if THE THING isn't good"

uhh

well then THE THING isn't good

With all the ohs and ahs, nice text, nice videos, and stuff... did you guys ever imagined that new BP act might not blow minds like everyone expects it? Did you even gave it a thought, that it might not be as half as good as advertised? Everyone getting hyped, but what if its just not that mindblowing?

Have you given that scenario a though?

Of course, im not stating any facts. It is just a lone idea at 1 AM, beeing tired, and just passing through forums.
Either way, im not one of the people that imagine THAT scenario.

Alright, I quit.

TheHound is a Granite Hunter plant.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
idk if i get this thread

"guys what if THE THING isn't good"

uhh

well then THE THING isn't good
I'm with this guy.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
Or what if it's SO good that its release tears a hole in God's butt? It's called a quantum meta something and it could happen according to the fluff IIRC.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Of course it's going to be disappointing. I don't know why you ever expected otherwise. :headz:
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Luis Dias

If you expect it to blow your mind, then it won't blow your mind, which is a clear indication that you cannot think it will blow your mind, but if you don't think it, then it might just as well blow your mind, and now that you think it might, it is obvious that it won't, so I think the best course of action is just stop drinking before writing comments on silly threads...

Offline Damage

• I'm a Major.
"It's 4:43 in the A.M.  I'm your hose, Lionel Osborne, and you're watching..."

Sorry, that's just where my brain went when I saw this thread.

For me, the gaming aspect is not as fun as the story.  I'm way more interested in the story arc and where Blue Planet is headed than actually playing it over and over.  And I have to say I haven't been this excited about an upcoming sequel since '98.

Disappointment is just the risk we all take when we grow to love something.
I didn't feel like putting anything here.  Then I did it anyway just to be contrary.

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!
I could sympathise with a fear of mods being hyped up certainly as it's something I worry about a little (and I feel it's something damaging the games industry at the moment). The beauty of FSO is all mods are all free and can be installed alongside one another so there is simply no need to hype, compare or compete them; people play one, then play another.

On a related note, I'd worry about the pressure on modders were we to become a community like that; end of the day I'd describe FSO is a hobby not a job; a mind-set I feel vital especially when a couple of our members are parents or have careers (soldiers, pilots, authors, etc). Always felt no one should feel a need to compete here or to force themselves to devote time to something; it's a free time thing for fun, so for all my praise I try not to judge stuff too much (beyond having elements ripped from other places, but that's another kettle of fish).

That being said, I've always felt BP deserves the praise it gets and it's earned it's hype with it's achivements as opposed to it being created in any way like it is in the games industry. My own praise for it to give an example comes from the storyline which feels well thought out and I feel it works with FS canon well while still adding it's own quite deep 'spirit' (in fact it's the story I truly love in it, all this 'gameplay' malarkey be damned :lol:). Also feel the team making it have really pushed the boundaries with elements of the gameplay (especially missions like One Future where they had to make bespoke script and complex SEXPs to achieve things; I've had a look myself once while doing a pet project and the SEXPs are mental!). They set themselves challenges and went for it, and they even succeeded in many cases.

BtA has been showing much the same efforts (and I'm really looking forward to that too; still remember being properly gobsmacked at the gameplay elements in their demo!) so BP certainly isn't alone pushing those boundaries.

So yes I could certainly understand a dislike of hyping things and share the same feeling (so perhaps that affects my perspective on the topic? Hard to be disappointed in things if you never pin any expectations to begin with) but in BP's case I don't think it a major issue and it's just natural adoration. The BP team have, AFAIK, delivered anything they've ever promised so far, so doubt anyone will be disappointed.
Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.

Offline Lorric

lmao what the **** is this ****

everytime someone makes a thread like this i laugh. sure, blue planet might not be ~spectacular~ or WOWEE MY MIND EXPLODE

but would you honestly prefer inferno, or god forbid, ancient-shivan war over bp

would you

edit: i mean the original inferno, for clarification, where like, it was just, our giggalojuggernaut is bigger than your giggalojuggernaut! ****, they deployed the megagiggalojuggernaut!

you know, boring **** without much of a plot or story to begin with
*Laughs at post saying BP Act 4 might not necessarily be fantastic.*

*Thinks nothing of making post randomly and casually dismissing other projects that a lot of time and energy went into and numerous people enjoyed as boring ****.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
lmao what the **** is this ****

everytime someone makes a thread like this i laugh. sure, blue planet might not be ~spectacular~ or WOWEE MY MIND EXPLODE

but would you honestly prefer inferno, or god forbid, ancient-shivan war over bp

would you

edit: i mean the original inferno, for clarification, where like, it was just, our giggalojuggernaut is bigger than your giggalojuggernaut! ****, they deployed the megagiggalojuggernaut!

you know, boring **** without much of a plot or story to begin with

BP wouldn't exist without Inferno. You can talk about BP's quality without putting down other campaigns.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
The fact that nobody plays FS any more and even the most active projects are near dead is a much bigger problem than whether campaign A has more cool events than campaign B.

Offline Axem

Everything will be literally awesome.

End of topic.