Author Topic: The Assault Gunboat - Unborn  (Read 38786 times)

Offline rhettro

Re: The Assault Gunboat - Unborn
Thanks bobbtmann,

In Blender I'm using the Cycles renderer exclusively these days. I like your idea of shortening the neck, I was thinking of making it a little thicker as well.

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
...If you shortened the neck, it might look a bit more solid.

I agree - was also going to ask if the neck could be a bit shorter.  Also, MAYBE flatten out the angle of the nose.  The front just looks a bit too low for the rest of the ship's body.

I really like the direction you're taking this, overall.  Keep it up!

Edit: I just went back and looked at Starslayer's sketch again.  I like the lines that the straight cockpit makes much better.  Doesn't have to look just like his, but I don't think the nose should droop like that.

I like the sloping cockpit. I find it makes it look more aggressive and tough.

The gunboat in Starslayer's drawing looks like it's trying too hard to go forward. Imagine a horse reaching for grass that's too far away. It also looks very flimsy, like all the parts were spot welded together.

Offline rhettro

I decided to model Starslayer's cockpit using NURBS to get a better idea of how it would actually look in 3D.  Do you like it better than my current one?

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
Hmm.  You know what, I didn't think I would, but I REALLY like that model.  It means that the crew would be REALLY reclined, but I don't think that's a problem (or that unrealistic, considering modern fighter jet seats).  As long as we're still making this thing scale so that's a twin-seat side-by-side cockpit, I think it works.

I guess I think it looks less kit-bashed than your previous cockpit - like it's part of a larger continuous frame instead of tacked on the front.  It also has its own look - not a replica of the lambda, while still having strong visual ties with the larger shuttle.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 09:23:06 pm by CountBuggula »

I also like this cockpit very much. And yes, there's indeed some resemblance to the Lambda's cockpit (and a little bit to the original Assault Gunboat) while it is a more original design. :)
Audio Converter of Enigma Campaign 2666:
http://enigma.de.to/

German translator of WC: Hostile Frontier:
http://www.ciinet.org/kevin/wchf/

My Youtube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/FekLeyrTarg?feature=mhee

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
Any chance you could increase the overall wing size as well?  I hate to do this, but I keep going back at Starslayer's design and the wing to body proportions there seem to work better.  That said, what I really DO like about your model is the fuselage portion.  I think if you bring the wings up to the front of the fuselage and make the new cockpit top and bottom flush with where it connects, you'll have a very solid looking gunboat.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Any chance you could increase the overall wing size as well?  I hate to do this, but I keep going back at Starslayer's design and the wing to body proportions there seem to work better.  That said, what I really DO like about your model is the fuselage portion.  I think if you bring the wings up to the front of the fuselage and make the new cockpit top and bottom flush with where it connects, you'll have a very solid looking gunboat.

Seconding the nitpick on the stubby-ish wings.
Cockpit and fuselage are  :yes:
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

...but I keep going back at Starslayer's design...
I feel like this needs to stop. I don't know why that drawing was even brought up, but this isn't Starslayer's model. This is rhettro's model, and his artistic abilities are sound. Critiques are about finding ways to make a person's model better, not making it more like someone else's.

His wings look fine.

Offline rhettro

It's okay bobbtmann, I was asking for community input. I am genuinely interested in everyone's opinion. However, to bobbtmann's point, this is going to be my take on the Gunboat. I like StarSlayer's design a lot, but I'm not going to copy it. I'll leave that up to him. Keep in mind that with a project like this, it is impossible to please everyone and that isn't my aim anyways. So why ask for input? Two reasons really, the first is that you guys have a lot of good ideas I haven't thought of and I think the design will be better if I at least consider them. And secondly I think it is fun to involve the community in my design process. It's fun for me to participate in everyone else's design work too. The models I've shown up to this point were to generate discussion and to help me visualize what the final design will be. The cockpit is still a work in progress, but I have decided to slope it, maybe not as aggressively as my first approach but it will be noticeable. I'm keeping the cross section of the body the same, but I am going to shorten the neck. As for wing size/configuration, I don't know yet. Let me work out the engine configuration first and I'll take another look at it.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
To StarSlayer's credit, he never intended to make the model himself, but for other modelers to take inspiration from it.  He would be nothing but flattered for any part of his design to show influence in your model, but of course that's not required at all.  Just so you're in the right mindset when considering input from his design.  I don't see any problem comparing what you have so far and his design, personally.   I can say, I've always been a huge fan of his work, and seeing some of that in your model would make me a bit giddy :)
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
Apologies, I meant no offense.  I obviously don't have any official role here whatsoever and so just try to offer my ideas and advice of what I personally think look good - and in the past at least that usually aligns well with the project leads.  But that's all it is, and I don't expect any of my ideas to be followed.  I understood Starslayer's design to simply be concept art, just like any other project usually starts with, and I did mention the things in Rhettro's design that I like better - just hoping to see this become the best it can be and trying to do what little I can to help that in my own little way.

Rhettro, keep up the good work.

Offline rhettro

No apologies necessary Count, I want your opinions.  :yes:

As a long time fan of Tie Fighter, i was initial skeptical with how your design would look. But i have to say, you've done quite a good job,  :yes: your slanted missile pods (are they still missile pods?) kinda remind me of the way the pods are on the Missile Boat.
I agree with CountBuggula in that the wings look a little small for the size of the hull. Personally i think its the vertical stabilizers that are a little disproportional.

Other than that keep up the good work, looking forward to seeing where this goes. 
Too many ideas.....not enough FREDing time!

Offline WarHawk

not a fan of the design. i think you should have stayed closer to what's been established in cannon, there's no need to reinvent the wheel here. look what this modeler did with the assault gunboat:

http://www.scifi-meshes.com/articles/images/anselstarwars/07.jpg
http://starforge.info/data/uploads/imperial-ships/assault-gunboat-xg-3.jpg
http://fractalsponge.net/gallery/Starfighters/XG1%20StarWing%20Assault%20Gunboat/slides/g1.jpg

now THAT's a sexy beast imo.

to me, this new design looks more like an armed shuttle, and not a starfighter. that's just my humble opinion, no offense intended.

Offline swashmebuckle

• Das Lied von der Turd
    • The Perfect Band
I think looking like a stripped down shuttle platform loaded with ordinance is exactly what makes this version compelling. If something like this ends up getting finished and submitted, we might consider positioning it as something like a modern helicopter gunship.

Offline CountBuggula

• Fate of the Galaxy
I think looking like a stripped down shuttle platform loaded with ordinance is exactly what makes this version compelling. If something like this ends up getting finished and submitted, we might consider positioning it as something like a modern helicopter gunship.

That's exactly the kind of role I could imagine this vehicle in.  That or something along the lines of the F-111.  Either way, due to the gunboat not appearing in any movies, it's a perfect candidate for a re-imaging.  Of course, part of that is because I personally have never been a fan of the gunboat as seen in the X-Wing games or elsewhere.  Also, this has already been debated ad naseum and the project leads have weighed in on their basic preferences.

Granted, that's only if it's intended to be included in an official FotG release.  If you want to make your own gunboat that looks like what's been previously established and make mod levels with it, nobody's going to stop you.

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
The Assault Gunboat from Scifi Mesh looks amazing! But I wouldn't say that it takes the design established at canon either. Anything rhettro has done so far is better than the image on Wookiepedia.

If someone else decides to make the model on Scifi Mesh and convert it, that'd be hot.

Quote from: swashmebuckle on October 15, 2013, 02:19:54 pm

That's exactly the kind of role I could imagine this vehicle in.  That or something along the lines of the F-111.

I think a helicopter gunship cross F-111 is a pretty good analogy of what the gunboat's role was.
Did you guys ever come to a conclusion as to what direction this is gonna take role-wise?
Also out of curiosity what was it that lead to the idea to give it Lambda design styles?

EDIT: Apologies for the bad quoting, I'm still learning Forum posting skills
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 04:23:21 am by Boomer20 »
Too many ideas.....not enough FREDing time!

Offline rhettro

look what this modeler did with the assault gunboat:
WarHawk, Fractalsponge is an amazing modeler and in fact, I studied his version of the Star Wing extensively before I started mine. I would submit that it is his expert level of detailing that makes his model look good rather than the overall ship design.

Also out of curiosity what was it that gave the lead the idea to give it Lambda design styles?
A common complaint of the original Star Wing design from the video game was that it didn’t look Imperial enough. Given that both the Lambda Shuttle and Star Wing are both tri-wings designed by Cygnus Spaceworks, it makes sense that they share some common design motifs. I also wanted it to have a more armored look. If the X Wing is like an F16, then the Star Wing should be an A10.
Thanks for all the new input on my model, it keeps me motivated. Even the ones who don’t like my design, I want to know what it is about it that you don’t like. I’m still struggling with a final concept. If I were to critique my own work I would say it is too bulky, I don’t like the square shape of the body when looking down at it from the top view. There needs to be better integration from the canopy to neck and from the neck to body. I haven’t thought of an engine design I’m completely happy with yet. So I’m going to continue to play with a few design ideas.