Author Topic: Any chances for integration of other PBR texture channels?  (Read 1812 times)

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Any chances for integration of other PBR texture channels?
Quick question.

Roughtness, metallic and height textures.

Will supoort of them be implemented to future FSO revisions? I recently converted a model and it looks soo poor compared to IRay render of Substance Painter. I know FS will never look as good as modern renderers, and IRay is actually not desiged for ingame usage. Anyway lack of channels mentioned above give me less control about the model look at all, and it's stripping it completly from it's deep lighting reflection of the surface. Recently released GTF Hydra suffers from this problem too.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline DahBlount

• Alpine ☆ Cancer Tribulation
    • Minecraft
Re: Any chances for integration of other PBR texture channels?
Roughness = inverse of gloss, we've got that in thr alpha channel of the -reflect map. Metalness isn't needed as the specular magnitude (RGB of the -reflect map) accomplishes the same thing. Height maps are feasible, just not within scope of implementation at this time.

You should invert your roughness texture from IRay or whatever, then place that into the alpha channel of the -reflect map.
<Axem> yet still more insightful than #hard-light

<Axem> jad2.23 will just be cat videos

<DahBlount> So
<DahBlount> JAD2.2 is like that
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> it can be whatever you like!
<DahBlount> A Chocolate Sundae?
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus

Offline m!m

What do you mean by "height textures"?

FSO "uses" height textures (they are loaded and passed to OpenGL) but they just aren't used by the shaders. If you mean something like tesselation support then it might be doable but I first need a test-model before I can even think about implementing support for that.

Offline DahBlount

• Alpine ☆ Cancer Tribulation
    • Minecraft

FSO "uses" height textures (they are loaded and passed to OpenGL) but they just aren't used by the shaders. If you mean something like tesselation support then it might be doable but I first need a test-model before I can even think about implementing support for that.

I assumed he meant displacement textures (which utilize tessellation) as those are usually included with PBR painter programs.
<Axem> yet still more insightful than #hard-light

<Axem> jad2.23 will just be cat videos

<DahBlount> So
<DahBlount> JAD2.2 is like that
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> it can be whatever you like!
<DahBlount> A Chocolate Sundae?
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus

Offline m!m

Tesselation (at least the concept) is actually pretty easy to use so if I had some test data I might be able to figure out how to implement this in FSO.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heightmap

I remember someone actually implemented it via custom shaders and I also remember some screenshots of Karnak by Kobrar44 with working heightmap. I don't know how those things look from coding perspective.

Here is heightmap for Schrodinger if anyone is willing to work on this and need some test asset.

Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.