Author Topic: Function/Feature Requests  (Read 35422 times)

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Function/Feature Requests
Another obvious thread title. ;) So it's easier to pick function requests out of the discussion, please use the form:

object:function(arguments)
This would be a description of what the function actually does

vector:getOrientation()
Takes the current vector and returns an orientation object from its normalized direction. (I've implemented & tested this in my local codebase, it should be around when I release another build.)
//Implemented. --WMC
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 02:09:15 am by WMCoolmon »
-C

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Re: Function/Feature Requests
vector:getOrientation()
Takes the current vector and returns an orientation object from its normalized direction. (I've implemented & tested this in my local codebase, it should be around when I release another build.)

oh goodie, just what i needed. :D

im sure il come up with other stuff as needed.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
any chance we can get some aa on the gr.draw functions? some of the draws tent to be rather jagged.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Use the form!!!
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
well not everythings gonna be a function, sometimes youl have a new object handle. but if you insist

gr.setBlendingMode(string)
sets blending of draw functions to "add" "subtract" "multiply" "average" ect.

gr.setFilterMode(string)
filtering for draw functions, can be "normal" "bilinear" "bicubic" or whatever to smooth out draw calls.

object.ShildsMax
handle for maxshilds, couldnt fine one for max, need it for custom shild gauges. can use indexes/enums like object.Shields
//Implemented. (object.Shields.CombinedMax) --WMC
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 02:09:48 am by WMCoolmon »

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
I was just being an ass :p
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
of course :D

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline WMCoolmon

It helps a lot when I'm scrolling down the page to look for feature requests, and filter between discussion and those. Anyway if I was being anal I would point out that you didn't bold them. :p

I don't know if I can implement those, I thought I'd pretty well gotten the 2D functions. But I can certainly check again.

AA functions will require additional, well, functions. There is an _aaline function, but I don't remember it actually doing anything different, and I don't remember there ever being an _aacircle. That may require some icky calculations. Hopefully not. But it will require some extra GL knowledge, which means reading or asking taylor, and either will take time.

ShieldsMax sounds much easier. I'll get started the next time I read this thread and have some time to implement stuff.
-C

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
what about some kind of post process function? as i understand it by default the gr. are painted onto a hud texture. would it be possible to run like a bilinear filter on the whole hud image rather than the individual elements as their drawn. that way i could do a gr.applyFilter() at the end of the hud section or anything else thats being drawn to.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline WMCoolmon

Everything is drawn to the screen by default, but what you're saying shouldn't be too hard to do already (draw via scripting). There's no way to bilinear filter a texture though.
-C

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
yea thats right thats a rendering thing. but there should be some fairly simple pixel math to clear up any jaggedness,

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline WMCoolmon

Well, here's the effect of the builtin OpenGL line antialiasing function.

[attachment deleted by admin]
-C

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
its not a big improvement but it helps some.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Shipclass.Textures or Shipclass.Model.Textures

same as Ships.Textures but lets me globally acess or change a model's textures. need it so that i can change an object's textures before a :renderTechModel() call. usefull for 3d hud gauges :D

//Implemented. (shipclass.Textures) --WMC
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 03:44:32 am by WMCoolmon »

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Ship.Subtarget

handel for the subsystem index of the ships target. nil, false or invalid if no subsystem is selected. need this for things like targeting gauges so that subsystems can be tracked.

//Implemented. (Ship.TargetSubsystem) --WMC
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 02:10:33 am by WMCoolmon »

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
This is sort of more complicated request...

Multiplayer scripting

Preferably so that certain functions can be limited to run only on the host cpu after which results are sent to clients.
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
what about broadcast vars. variables which are shared across all all clients and the server. you also need network environment vars and funcs as well. a client index is a good example. i can imagine lots of stuff being stored in arrays where each client has their own index. now all clients and servers would need to run the same script so we need flags to id wether the script is running on a host, server, or client so that it knows what part of the script it needs to run. with just those features alot of stuff can be done as far as multi goes.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
The 'host only' or 'server only' option is rather important as due different cpu speeds and generic multiplayer game lag the distance checks and other similar evaluations yield different results between players. That is this has already been tested with 'scripted multiplayer' and it causes - well occasionally - problems.
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
server side timing might also be a good option as well. anything which the client script cant be trusted to do by its self on its own clock can be done on the server.

oh and i need a

weaponbanktype.Selected
weaponbank index of the currently armed weapon. need this for my weapon select and lead gauge.

if you cant tell by my requests, im slowly working on a new hud :D

//Implemented. (weaponbank.Armed) --WMC
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 04:09:37 am by WMCoolmon »

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline WMCoolmon

As you may have guessed from my edits, I've got an upcoming build. Planned changes list:

• Improved Linux error-reporting support
  • Fixed one silly bug that's been around since practically day 1.
  • Added "On Splash Screen" and "On Game Init" conditional hook actions
  • Added "Version" conditional hook condition
  • Added "Shields.CombinedLeft" and "Shields.CombinedMax"
  • Replaced subsystem:getName() with .Name; added the ability for subsystems to have a name independent of the original model name to support the variable. (Did not think to check how easy this would be to do for turrets, as well)
  • Added "Self" and "Object" variable pair to collision sequences to allow for easier generic collision actions.
  • Tweaked drawString so that when it's called without any position arguments (eg gr.drawString("Hello")) it will write another line below the previous one.
  • Added "Self" hook variable for the HUD hooks. (Still need to test this one)
  • Added support for model textures (Untested/Unfinalized)
  • Probably some other stuff that I've forgotten, but will hopefully catch before I commit the build to CVS.

I've successfully tested Wanderer's sample script with it, so I assume the hv.Weapon crash is fixed. If there's anything you want by the next build and it's not in this thread or on this list, especially if it's something small, then you ought to re-ask for it here.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 04:41:00 am by WMCoolmon »
-C