Author Topic: Freespace 2 Halo - Let's revive it and finish it!  (Read 60017 times)

Offline Wolfy

Re: Freespace 2 Halo - Let's revive it and finish it!
It's not really a weird name when compared with all other covenant names, there just simply names relateing to the 'after life'/'undead'. (Vampire, Spectre, Spirit, Phantom, Scarabs, Banshee, I could go on, etc.). Or atleast they're the human designation for these vehicles.
Wolfy - Ship Modeler for SBP07

Offline starlord

I remember alien ships being called this way in Xcom interceptor:

wraith: light fighter
spectre: med fighter
phantasm: heavy fighter
shade: advanced fighter prototype
spirit: freighter
omen: tug

Offline Snail

• SC 5
It's not really a weird name when compared with all other covenant names, there just simply names relateing to the 'after life'/'undead'. (Vampire, Spectre, Spirit, Phantom, Scarabs, Banshee, I could go on, etc.). Or atleast they're the human designation for these vehicles.
Vampire? I don't recall a Vampire.

Offline Felix 039

• The One True Noob

There isnt one named Vampire.
Turning pros into noobs since 1992.
---
Oh look, there's something down here!

No there isn't...

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
Might be a little late, but if you still need help with relation to storyline details and stuff like that or you need a webpage I can halp.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
As far as high-resolution models go, I know a fellow by the name of Ben Harber on X-Plane.org. He happens to be quite a Halo fan (I think he might even work for Bungie now... but I'm not certain.) and has developed several flying Halo aircraft/ships for the X-Plane flight simulator. All of these are quite detailed, and should the project evolve to have ships with virtural cockpits (as FotG and Diaspora will), these models might be useful. Of course, that's only IF you get permission to use them.

Here's an example of his handiwork: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gw6T6R3xIEw

If there's interest in this on this thread, I'll try and get in touch with him.

I hate to be a pest, but I think I should offer this suggestion one last time.

-Thaeris
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Wolfy

Covenant anti air vehicle in Halo Wars
Wolfy - Ship Modeler for SBP07

Offline Leeko

• Computer ketchup
  • Lurking since 2009
 :lol: :lol: :lol: Halo Wars...  :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Blah, Halo Wars...

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Ehh...the Covenant AA vehicle is the AA Wraith.
Cause the actual games > spin offs.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Halo Wars had an AA Wraith :confused:?  That's just WTF as everyone knows the Wraith is a giant hovering plasma mortar.  If that's the kind of crap Halo Wars churns out I hope it isn't coming to PC.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
In reality, most battlefield AA vehicles are based off of standard eqipment, including tanks. There were a ton of examples from WWII to illustrate this, including the Whirblewind and Ostwind (both based on the Panzer IV). Even today Germany has an AA tank with the chassis of the Leopard MBT.

Thus it actually makes practical sense to have a common platform for weapons: just swap out the turret and some of the electronics and you have a heavy-duty vehicle that can take some punishment...

-Thaeris
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Its just weird because the Wraith is so big and slow.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Halo Wars had an AA Wraith :confused:?  That's just WTF as everyone knows the Wraith is a giant hovering plasma mortar.  If that's the kind of crap Halo Wars churns out I hope it isn't coming to PC.

The AA Wraith was in Halo 3 actually, it was a varient of the original that was mounted with what seem to be quick fire fuel rod cannons. Halo Wars had a new unit for AA if I recall correctly.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?

The AA Wraith was in Halo 3 actually, it was a varient of the original that was mounted with what seem to be quick fire fuel rod cannons. Halo Wars had a new unit for AA if I recall correctly.

Yeah. I was commenting on why they would make a new unit for AA when there's already the AA Wraith in Halo 3.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline aurora_energy

• Adrift in the never ending void
I didnt bother with halo wars as in it was microsoft only. Microsoft never really made a great game in my opinion. They rock when doing joint efforts, but going solo, just no.

As for the names... yeah I understand that... but still... spirit? wtf were they thinking

and vampire? we thats microsoft so thats acceptable, but still...
Imagine awakening, and hearing the heartbeat of the galaxy for the first time.
It is like a cloud, a mist that drifts from living creature to creature, set in motion by currents and eddies.
It is the eye of the storm, the passions of all living things turned into energy, into a chorus.
It is the rising swell at the end of life, the promise of new territories and new blood, the call of new mysteries in the dark.

Offline Felix 039

• The One True Noob
I didnt bother with halo wars as in it was microsoft only. Microsoft never really made a great game in my opinion. They rock when doing joint efforts, but going solo, just no.

As for the names... yeah I understand that... but still... spirit? wtf were they thinking

and vampire? we thats microsoft so thats acceptable, but still...

Am I detecting some "I dislike Microsoft's stupid ideas" here?  :lol:

But yea wtf Vampire? Its not really... valid...
Turning pros into noobs since 1992.
---
Oh look, there's something down here!

No there isn't...

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
You're a bit off in that sentiment, though, since Halo Wars was created by the internal development group Ensemble Studios, who also crafted the ridiculously excellent Age of Empires/Age of Mythology RTS series.

...though come to think of it, seeing as how MS shut down Ensemble at the drop of a hat after Halo Wars was completed, maybe you have something there.

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
I don't think so. IIRC  Ensemble had announced previously that Ensemble Studios would be closing after Halo Wars was released, and, IIRC, a different company was formed by the same team to maintain Halo Wars after Ensemble closed.

Of course, it's possible that I'm totally wrong.
If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”

So why close Ensemble in the first place?