Poll

In an all out war (WITHOUT the Flood), who do you think would win?  If you think two factions would join forces, feel free to select them.

UNSC
Covenant
GTVA
Shivans

Author Topic: HALO vs FreeSpace  (Read 68351 times)

However, the most important fact to renember is: Halo isn't real :P
Yes, but every science fiction has to be believable to a certain degree, or the accessibility and immersion become proportionately less.

MAC cannons (yes, they are coilguns, thanks for the correction) still have some degree of traditional recoil, as evidenced by the aprubt kickback experienced by the Stationary MAC cannons around Earth (as evidenced in the first level of Halo 2).  They also have some degree of explosive properties, since at the end of the barrel there is a large expulsion of superheated gasses, and the fact that the projectile resembles a tank shell also indicates that the weapon is ballistic-based to some degree.

That said, it's to my knowledge that MAC guns mounted on capital ships have an effective way of dealing with recoil, in the form of kinetic springs, or at least something of similar function, positioned around the cannon for stability.
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline Wolfy

I'll admit i'm no real physics expert (And, i'll warn you: i've had a couple of drinks), and i have no idea what kind of forces a MAC gun would make in a vacume such as space, but I do know that ere is only so much 'Energy'/force in the universe at a given time, So for a MAC gun to fire, the energy released formt he gun that wasn't in the projectile must go somewhere. As the above poster said, they could use some form of springs, but again, that energy must go somewhere still.

Unless those springs somehow can provide a boost of electrical power for the ship? :P
Wolfy - Ship Modeler for SBP07

I'll admit i'm no real physics expert (And, i'll warn you: i've had a couple of drinks), and i have no idea what kind of forces a MAC gun would make in a vacume such as space, but I do know that ere is only so much 'Energy'/force in the universe at a given time, So for a MAC gun to fire, the energy released formt he gun that wasn't in the projectile must go somewhere. As the above poster said, they could use some form of springs, but again, that energy must go somewhere still.

Unless those springs somehow can provide a boost of electrical power for the ship? :P
I'm sure there is an engine calibration to account for the opposing force akin to the recoil, although it could be like the space station, where the assembly the gun is attached too moves back with the full cannon, before slowly returning back to fire position.
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Stands to reason that the station based ones are nearly identical just scaled up. Omitting the housing and other bracing of course.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

I don't know why everyone is saying MAC guns would shred GTVA ships. Collossus got hit with a freakin destroyer and didn't even blink.
I shat all over that Shivan fighter....right up 'till his buddy got me.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
MAC projectiles are A LOT faster than the average FS2 ship. Like, significant-percentage-of-c fast. The impact energy will shred anything in its path.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
...Sir, the MAC gun has reached power levels OVER NINE THOUSAND!!!

Very well, Leutenant. Very well...

...Open fire.

:pimp:
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline NeonShivan

• Previously known as BTA
  • By the Omnisiah's grace.
Forget my last post: Aparently people dont understand the laws of the MAC Cannon. Really. The MAC (Magnetic Accelerated Cannon) uses the Physics of Magnetisum to charge the Cannon. Using the Kinitic Physical Laws the MAC can do major damage to Armor. Plus: If im right, Doesnt Subspace use Magnetic Properties meaning No Shields? Making the Lucifer and Shivan Strikecraft Weak to their Weaponary?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 06:27:26 pm by BTA »
In German even the most beautiful love letter sounds like an execution order -Mito

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \ All the Single Ladies

( •_•)
\(  (>

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Author of Dusk Wars - A modification for Freespace 2.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
What you said, it makes no sense.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
There's no "You", in Magnetism. . . .

Also, subspace stops shields. It doesn't Fanny up molecular cohesion by default on anything in it.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Forget my last post: Aparently people dont understand the laws of the MAC Cannon. Really. The MAC (Magnetic Accelerated Cannon) uses the Physics of Magnetisum to charge the Cannon. Using the Kinitic Physical Laws the MAC can do major damage to Armor. Plus: If im right, Doesnt Subspace use Magnetic Properties meaning No Shields? Making the Lucifer and Shivan Strikecraft Weak to their Weaponary?

Ehh...

What you said, it makes no sense.

Sadly, it almost does. You're wanting to say electromagnetism, I assume. I don't know too much about the HALO-verse, but I get the impression the MAC is either a giant coil/Gauss or rail-type weapon: In either sense, you're dealing with electromagnetism.

The part about kinetic energy is... poorly put, but true. Any super-velocitized projectle will impart a tremendous amount of energy upon its target, so long as it has mass.

The last part is... kinda wierd. I'm guessing you're going off of one of the CBanis which shows a field about the subspace drive. However, that's an active drive unit. A launched projectile will probably not be utilizing some sort of field to... whatever you were after. In short, the conclusion you came up with is really quite disorganized. A MAC gun would still be a viable thread due to the fact that upon impacting a shiled, it would assumably place a great amount of energy against the shiled, weakening it after each strike, etc.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Yes, I know all that, and no, it doesn't make any sense.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Yes, I know all that, and no, it doesn't make any sense.

Holy obvious cow, Battman! Yes, I know you know...

And upon analysis of trying to see what BTA was trying to get at, it does make sense. Sense in the way that it's just wrong. Entirely wrong.

:P

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
What he seems to be saying is that MAC guns would do damage to armor through kinetic energy. Which is .... rather obvious, really.

As for shields in subspace. Shields don't work in subspace because jamma jamma biddy bang boom technobabble. Or, in other words, because shields don't work in subspace.

Would MAC rounds punch through a Lucifer's shields? We don't know, because the GTA/GTVA doesn't utilize mass drivers on the Halo scale. We literally have no idea how these two things would interact.

Which proves, if any proof was needed, that Universe vs Universe debates are one of the most pointless things in nerddom.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Seriously.  I mean, FreeSpace has the friggin' luminiferous aether providing space-friction. :p

Offline Vrets

FreeSpace would employ a transoneurotowerofbabblion ray pulse to disable the Halo's cheese shields before the pillar of chinamen could unleash its kinetic macintosh cannon.

A more interesting juxtaposition would be Star War's ethreal damper matrix vs Star Trek's time traveling walnut drives.

We could solve world hunger.

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
All I need now is a hamyinurger in me...

:p

-Nuke

"Jesus saves.

"

-Flipside

-Nuke

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
even with the flood, Shivans.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline NeonShivan

• Previously known as BTA
  • By the Omnisiah's grace.
What he seems to be saying is that MAC guns would do damage to armor through kinetic energy. Which is .... rather obvious, really.

Would MAC rounds punch through a Lucifer's shields? We don't know, because the GTA/GTVA doesn't utilize mass drivers on the Halo scale. We literally have no idea how these two things would interact.

um, The E, take the Covie crusiers for example. The MACs really punch through the Shields on them. So they would break through the Lucifer meaning destruction. Also: The Covie beams: follow the same laws as GTVA and Shivan Beam weapons making the Lucifer dead meat to covie crusiers without backup :)

In German even the most beautiful love letter sounds like an execution order -Mito

(•_•)
 <)  )/

( •_•)
\(  (>

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Author of Dusk Wars - A modification for Freespace 2.

Offline Qent

Shivan beams and shields could be very different from the Covenant's. So no, we cannot say that MACs would punch through Lucifer shields. Some here don't even believe GTVA beams could pierce Lucifer shields.