Author Topic: REQUEST: Dawn of Sol  (Read 2420 times)

Offline Sarkoth

• Ser Campaign-listador
Hey guys, after just browsing my campaign folder in once a while, I felt like playing Dawn of Sol again. When I checked the mod.ini I had to gasp, as it was still using the original mediavps and hadn't been updated since the 3.6.10 build came out. That's quite ancient. And then I browsed the FSCRP for a while, being delighted that so many of my favourite campaigns had been updated over the last few months. Now I know what I will most likely replay as soon as I wrapped up playing Wings of Dawn. I'm looking at you, Crucible, Derelict and LM0-4.

Anyway, I was wondering if there would be any chance to give Dawn of Sol a well deserved update. And as you guys are quite busy right now, of course there's no rush. Just wanted to make a suggestion. So don't mind the caps in the title, that's just for recognizability.
Only the one passed trough darkness obtains the right to ask for light

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Re: REQUEST: Dawn of Sol
Dawn of Sol is being rewritten by it's original autors under new name Sol: Invictus. You may ask Droid803 for details if you want. IMHO upgrading first DoS release doesn't make sense, when the new version of the whole project is coming.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Sarkoth

• Ser Campaign-listador
That is indeed knowledge I wasn't aware of. I will probably hit up droid soon to ask him if there's anything new about it. I would really love to see this campaign back again.

I was able to complete Dawn of Sol with 3.7.1 Nightly build, however there were some problems:

- Some invisible textures on capital ships and space stations, mainly the GTD Raynor
- A Crash if you choose a wrong ship and armament combination in a couple of missions. Can be avoided
- The Fighter-beam weapon in the battle of Earth's atmosphere: It can only shoot once. After that it's useless.
- In one mission the friendly capital ship doesn't know how to engage the enemy properly --> Cheat code needed
- Probably some minor issues like ship models having different amount of 3D LODs than in their tables etc...

Overall, it can be completed, but it's not a flawless experience.

Offline CT27

Droid803 informed me in a PM that the remake of DOS called "Sol: Invictus" is being cancelled due to him wishing to commit more time to work on Dimensional Eclipse (we may even get a DE2 someday he said).

For the record, he gave me permission to share what he said in that PM.

Offline Sarkoth

• Ser Campaign-listador
So any chance Dawn of Sol could now be redone by the FSCRP?

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Droid803 informed me in a PM that the remake of DOS called "Sol: Invictus" is being cancelled due to him wishing to commit more time to work on Dimensional Eclipse (we may even get a DE2 someday he said).

For the record, he gave me permission to share what he said in that PM.
What a sad news :(. I was really waiting for Sol: Invictus. In that case DoS upgrade by FCRP is a very good idea.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
I would still be up for helping out with whatever (bits and pieces, asset/asset-fixing, maybe even touching up missions) though, if anyone is going to attempt a restoration and wants the assistance.

Just that I don't see a point in continuing working on it by myself anymore (the other people having kind of vanished? IDK even what happened)
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================