Author Topic: HLPXCOM: Long War - Guess what, I'm going to finish this  (Read 41404 times)

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
HLPXCOM: Long War - Guess what, I'm going to finish this
Now yes I know I'm sort of stealing and sapping off another's (NGTM's) whole XCOM thing (but come on it is a pretty glorious game, sue me) but I've come across this mod which will certainly be a fantastic thing to try out (and it seems he's busy being productive so...)

We're used to a default squad of 4-6 soldiers going out into the field. This mod however, increase that to 12. 12! Holy **** that's awesome EDIT: UNTIL SCOTTY RUINED MY DAY BY SAYING THAT THE TWELVE IS FOR VERY SPECIAL OCCASION

Not only that but - "Eight soldier classes: Infantry, Assault, Sniper, Scout, Gunner, Rocketeer, Medic and Engineer, and eight MEC classes: Valkyrie, Marauder, Jaeger, Pathfinder, Goliath, Archer, Guardian and Shogun" while dealing with some difficulty things (ie, once you get awesome gear, you need to be suicidal in order to die basically) "Aliens and EXALT forces grow tougher over time, gaining stats and perks" (ie instead of stopping at lasers, EXALT will become well... plasma)

And of course, here's the grand one for you guys - "Soldiers rest after each mission, requiring the player to build a much deeper roster of soldiers" thus bringing in far more people at the same time.

So... who wants to save humanity or die trying? (Most likely die, these descriptions seem daunting on the challenge)
http://www.nexusmods.com/xcom/mods/88/?

EDIT: http://www.polygon.com/2015/3/1/8128715/happy-xcom-day-commander
It's the birthday of XCOM!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 11:37:27 am by deathfun »
"No"

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Wow. That mod looks neat.

Count me in!

Prefered roles - assault (NO shotguns. Carabines/Rifles or GFTO), infantry or gunner.

Dakka, mobility or a mix.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 07:54:15 am by TrashMan »
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Rheyah

• Will release something one day. Promise.
Long War is ****ing brilliant and I love it.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Hell yes.  Scout please!

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I could use the motivation to get back the HLPX-COM, considering I have three missions that I have screenshotted and written up but haven't bothered to post.

I expect my armor to be red, sir. Anything else is up to you.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Long War trend to choose able for you by default.  Rookies wear red.  Of course.

Offline Hobbie

• It's Hot Drop O'Clock!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Slot me in as a general infantry. Generic ordinarity is the win!

(That's not even a word but I don't care!)
In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed.

Offline Rheyah

• Will release something one day. Promise.
I'll go as a dark haired female Gunner.  Having "Rheyah" above the eyes of some hypermasculine roidasaurus just feels..  wrong :p

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
K, after looking into the mod..... Infantry I think.  They look highly versatile and are very dakka-oriented.

White male, light brownish hair, white or black armor.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline deathfun

• Minecraft
I'll go as a dark haired female Gunner.  Having "Rheyah" above the eyes of some hypermasculine roidasaurus just feels..  wrong :p

Could switch it to a last name with the first being Olga!

Long War trend to choose able for you by default.  Rookies wear red.  Of course.

Hides the blood of course
"No"

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth

BTW, what difficulty are you playing at?
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
I volunteer. Keen to be an MEC, but otherwise Assault if possible.
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline deathfun

• Minecraft
Count me in. Sniper, please.

BTW, what difficulty are you playing at?

Normal (since that's the bottom) and currently contemplating what to choose from this list
http://ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=Second_Wave_%28Long_War%29

Cinematic mode seems like something that could either make it too easy, or manageable in difficulty due to how much more killing I'm going to have to do (increased number of sorties, possible situations where I will be forced to retreat, the fact I've never played this mod and have no idea what I'm getting into...)
"No"

long war is a mod which overcomplicates to an offensively terrible extreme, but i still want to be a pilot (the air combat stuff is what it should've stuck to anyway)
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Don't listen to PH, he's just bitter that someone improved on something he already thought was good in a way he doesn't agree with. 

Cinematic mode turns the game into a Hollywood action movie, but you *will*still lose folks.  If you want to play more gritty and "realistic"go with aiming angles and red fog.  Red fog is really fun.

Also don't play EXALT missions.  They're not fun.  Just pay the Intel sweep twice a month and never deal with them.  It's less frustrating.

Don't listen to PH, he's just bitter that someone improved on something he already thought was good in a way he doesn't agree with.

i think a mod called 'the long war' would be better off actually lengthening the war rather than jamming it full of meaningless choices and complexity, yes
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline deathfun

• Minecraft
Who cares, adds a crapton of content to muck around with!

Also don't play EXALT missions.  They're not fun.  Just pay the Intel sweep twice a month and never deal with them.  It's less frustrating.

Decided to read up on this
Holy **** that sounds like a pain in the ass
But apparently it was also a bug?
http://www.reddit.com/r/Xcom/comments/25rzwz/long_war_psa_a_bug_was_discovered_that_makes/
"No"

Offline Gortef

• A meat popsicle
Count me in!

Make me a scruffy looking sniper.
Habeeb it...

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Who cares, adds a crapton of content to muck around with!

Decided to read up on this
Holy **** that sounds like a pain in the ass
But apparently it was also a bug?
http://www.reddit.com/r/Xcom/comments/25rzwz/long_war_psa_a_bug_was_discovered_that_makes/

That was four versions ago.  EXALT is a ****ing pain for entirely different reasons than that.

Long War is definitely longer, though.  Research times are increased, soldiers' experience gained take longer, and the game is fully capable of lasting for nearly three in-game years, as opposed to my own personal Christmas Invasion in vanilla EW.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Cinematic mode turns the game into a Hollywood action movie, but you *will*still lose folks.  If you want to play more gritty and "realistic"go with aiming angles and red fog.  Red fog is really fun.

My go-to Second Wave combo is actually Aiming Angles and Absolutely Critical, personally.  Red Fog makes the game far too likely to downward spiral.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story