Author Topic: Elite: Dangerous  (Read 92402 times)

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
They do that for some of them.  Docking and Landing are not those ones.

Offline rance

Ah ok, didn't know that. Still once you get the controls set up and know not to fly into a sun it's a pretty great game imo.

Offline Bryan See

• Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
  • Trying to redeem, but under Tiger Parents
    • Twitter
I bought Elite: Dangerous back in July for my birthday present of 2015, and, I've been playing it rarely, because I'm focusing on more masters study at UPM, the development of Shattered Stars, etc.
Bryan See - My FreeSpace Wiki User Page (Talk, Contributions)

Full Projects:
Shattered Stars

Campaigns:
Lost in the Mist - Cyrene vs. Psamtik
FreeSpace: Reunited

Ships:
GTS Hygeia, GTT Argo, SC Raguel

Tools:
FSO TC/Game template

I've been under attack by Tiger Parents like Jennifer Pan...

Offline rance

The 1.5 Ships update and the 2.0 Horizons expansion came out today, I'm still waiting for the download but now might be a good time to jump back in if your interested.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Drove around in Horizons a bit yesterday.

I found a strange rock formation. I call it "Mount Anaconda".

Is there something cooler than ringed planets? No. There is not.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Kszyhu

There's already an early footage of Cobra Mk III flying on earth-like planet (Warning, loud):

Offline rance

There's already an early footage of Cobra Mk III flying on earth-like planet (Warning, loud):

2 Things:

1) How much money?

2) I'll buy it. :P

Offline DahBlount

• Alpine ☆ Cancer Tribulation
    • Minecraft
I've been slowly making my way to a nebula about 23.4k Ly from Sol.

I've found some pretty cool things.

This planet is... a little extreme, but life finds a way.

Just today I found this:
<Axem> yet still more insightful than #hard-light

<Axem> jad2.23 will just be cat videos

<DahBlount> So
<DahBlount> JAD2.2 is like that
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> it can be whatever you like!
<DahBlount> A Chocolate Sundae?
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Is that... a planet orbiting within two or three light seconds of its primary star?

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
Is that... a planet orbiting within two or three light seconds of its primary star?
Given that it's a little under seven light seconds from his ship... that would definitely seem to be the case. If not within one light second of the star. :wtf:
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline DahBlount

• Minecraft
It was about 1.3ish Ls from its star. I was able to get to about .3 Ls from the planet before I started heating up a great deal.

Have a closeup. Turns out the planet is a bit squished for some reason.

Edit: Just found this.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 11:57:51 am by DahBlount »

<DahBlount> So
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> sure

My models: GTF Gilgamesh - GTD Nuadha [Redesigning] - Ningirama [WIP] - GTG Zephyrus

Offline CKid

Has anyone here checked out the Barnacles in and around the Pleiades Nebula? I picked up and outfitted an ASP just to see what the fuss was about. You can mine them for materials and the larger ones for meta-alloys.

The sound effects and music that plays in the vicinity of them makes my skin crawl. I love it.
If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong

Offline DahBlount

• Minecraft
Could you perhaps mouse over the planet in the system map, zoom in as close as possible without going to the planetary map, and tell me what you hear in the background besides wind?

<DahBlount> So
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> sure

Offline Kszyhu

It's a L-type brown dwarf, so I guess it's not as unbelievable at it would be for such an arrangement around a bigger star (though I have a screenshot of a gas giant orbiting a star almost identical to the Sun at around 5 light seconds). It can be a quirk of Stellar Forge, though, like an earth-like planet around a neutron star or a ammonia world bigger and heavier than some gas giants.

Could you perhaps mouse over the planet in the system map, zoom in as close as possible without going to the planetary map, and tell me what you hear in the background besides wind?

All I can hear (at JC-U b3-2 planet 1, the one with crashed Anaconda) is a metallic droning/ringing sound, nothing out of ordinary for a high metallic content planet.

Edit:
I've found something in my screenshot folder:

1.74 light seconds from the star, surface temperature of over 5000K, and the atmosphere of rock vapour.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 07:14:10 am by Kszyhu »

Offline DahBlount

• Minecraft
I was talking about the planet that had the Barnacle on it, not the crashed Anaconda (unless those are one and the same).

I had a moment of anger yesterday when I found out that certain nebula can't be jumped into even if you have the jump range. It really sucks because that means that not every system within a possible jump range is actually reachable. Wish there was a way around this.

This was about as close as I could get, within my 31 Ly jump range from the next system inside the nebula:

Nebula in question is Pueliae AA-A H0. People have tried coming out this way before from what I can see, but nobody has been able to access the systems within the nebula.

<DahBlount> So
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> sure

Offline CKid

Barnacles have so far been spotted and conformed on 3 planets, Merope 5 C, Pleiades Sector JC-U b3-2 1, and Pleione 11 A. My screenshots are from Pleiades Sector JC-U b3-2 1. Looking at the planets in question, there is no odd sounds coming from them, other then what Kszyhu mentioned.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 10:34:38 am by CKid »
If I agreed with you, we would both be wrong

Offline DahBlount

• Minecraft
I see.

I've started my long trek back to the Bubble. Hoping to make a bit of creds off the data from the 500 systems I've fully explored in addition to the systems I did specific explorations in.

<DahBlount> So
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> sure

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Barnacles have been found on four planets, actually: There are some barnacles on Pleiades Sector JC-U b3-2 2 as well (the other planet in the binary pair).

So that nebula DahBlount mentioned is unreachable even when using the jump boosting that came in 2.0?

And since it's topical, here's my "Sag-A and back" highlights album: http://imgur.com/a/m8NvH

Lately I've been mostly playing CQC though. It's completely ruined "regular" PvP in open for me, CQC is much much more fun.

Offline DahBlount

• Minecraft
So that nebula DahBlount mentioned is unreachable even when using the jump boosting that came in 2.0?
Yep, I'm not sure why, I was within jumping distance of several stars within the nebula, but no joy. I could even get within jumping range of stars that were outside the nebula, but obscured by it, so the jump vector was going through the nebula, but I couldn't even jump to those systems.

<DahBlount> So
<Axem> maybe
<Axem> sure

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
If I had to guess, that nebula has probably been set aside for usage in a future expansion.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.