Author Topic: Super tiny HUD scale  (Read 3746 times)

Hi guys, been at this for ohhh about 8 hours now following every forum post i possibly could, my issue is iv recently reinstalled fso on my new windows 10 laptop, its an MSI GT60 2PC Dominator, i7 16GB ram, and an Nvidia 870M gpu, the issue im having right now running at 3k resolution, is that, i cannot a) adjust the resolution of my game with the FSO launcher ( no matter what i set it as its always 3k) even if i change windows native resolution. and b) (the reason why a is a problem) all my HUD displays are freaking tiny! text letters are impossible to read, and everything else is near microscopic. (mostly because it is a 15in laptop)

Iv spent a lot of time looking through forums as i have mentioned looking for scailing information, i keep finding bits of scrip to use, but nowhere does it tell me where i need to be changing this information, short of adjusting evey single hud icon in the .vp files one by one. any advice?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Have a look at my signature, has a link to a post for making the default mediavps HUD gauges larger.

Or, you could try one of these HUD mods which have recently been released.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

awesome, yea the media vp link is what i had looked at before and couldnt figure out what exactly it was i was supposed to be doing, windows 10 only allows me to creat new folders in that file, so i wasnt able to create any sort of text document, which (assuming thats what the script was ment to be saved to) made that fix impossible, but downloading a newer hud worked just great thanks :)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
You can create new text documents.

What you're probably running into is the hidden .txt ending. 

When you save in Notepad, under File > Save As, choose the file type "All Files (*.*)" instead of "Text Files (*.txt)", and then it won't add the hidden .txt to the end of your file (leaving your with something like myfile.ini.txt or myfile.cfg.txt etc, except you don't see the .txt as it's hidden).

To disable the hiding of file extensions for known file types in Windows 10 (so you could just rename it even if you forgot to select type All Files), in Windows Explorer, select the View pane up at the top (File / Computer / View), then, click the 'Options' button, then click 'Change folder and search options'

OR (this way is much easier)

Open up Run (Win + R), and type

Code: [Select]
control.exe folders
and hit Enter

Now you have 'File Explorer Options' open.

Click the View tab, up by 'General - View - Search'

In the 'Advanced Settings' section, find and de-select 'Hide extensions for known file types', click Apply, and you're done.  You may also wish to adjust other viewing settings there to your preferences.