Author Topic: No Man's Sky  (Read 29174 times)

Offline Luis Dias

It's not "a story I came up with". It's something I saw myself. When I saw one of the videos he posted, first thing that spawned was a 15 second ad.

This is exactly the **** I've seen Star Citizen fans pull, accusing anyone critical of the game of just being a cynical pundit only in it for the multi-dollar profits they stand to get off the YouTube views. It's ridiculous coming from them and it's ridiculous coming from you.

.... and we're done. I have no patience for continuous unjustified douchebaggery.  You're the one trying to reach for conclusions based on leaked shenanigans. I will justify why I'm treating No Man's Sky differently and then I'll shut up because I really am not in the mood for this.

Star Citizen releases their own substandard pile of goo while demanding fans to continue to "fund the dream". To me, this is not about a game in a bad shape, it's about a practice of con artistry akin to a cultish religion who demands ever more money from the believers, all the while feeding them with jpegs and really horrible alphas, adding "dreams" on top of "dreams", always cutting back on promises and deadlines. If Star Citizen was developing exactly the way it is but without the horrible fleecing of their fanbase I would perhaps smugly smile at their failures but I'd still hope they'd do good and be hopeful at the end product. As it is, it's more than unethical, it's patently a horror show, with the potential to wipe out a lot of good will from many gamers into the industry and new "dreamful" projects that might come.

NMS is something a small team of developers came up with, a lot of third party hype was built and now everyone's expecting this godlike gameplay from the developers of... Joe Danger. It's ridiculous. I've always been a fan of this concept and the promise of the game but even I never thought this would be something on par with any AAA game (thus why I think 60 bucks for it is an insane price tag). They barely made any marketing for the game (unlike SC), they merely promised a really small amount of things to be in there (unlike SC), and, more importantly than everything else, they spent their own ****ing money to build it. Yes, they aren't fleecing anyone to do this. It's their project. They will either skyrocket into stardom or they will flop massively. On their own. I have tremendous more respect for this approach, as it should be obvious to anyone with a functioning brain.

So when I'm being skeptical about *ANY* claims (be them ultra mega positive or negative) regarding NMS before the release and a calm thoughtful review, when I even make the obvious claim that I'm not putting any money into this before it comes down a notch and the game has been deemed worthy by some common standards in the critic scene, you then compare me with the religious nutcases of Star Citizen who are defending the horrible practices that they are making despite any evidence we show them to the contrary.

If this is not douchebaggery I really wonder what constitutes it. I'm done discussing this with you.

Did it ever occur to you that the ad was there due to an automatic contentID claim that instead of taking the video down monetised it for the copyright owner? Sure it wouldn't make sense to have the system auto-monetise claimed content instead of taking it down but maybe it was set up that way in advance before any leaks went through?

Hell, the claim didn't even have to come from NMS, could've been any random piece of music used. ContentID is notoriously aggressive.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline Luis Dias

Many things can occur to one's mind. Excuse me while I'm skeptical about someone with multiple stories and incoherent explanations that smell like lies to me and instead wait for actual official channels to either confirm or deny problems with the game. Perhaps you also want to classify this behavior as religiously nutty. If so, let me know so I can ignore you as well.

It's just beyond ridiculous that you think this was a big moneymaking scheme aiming to get advertising revenue off the videos. It takes about 5 seconds to realise why that would never work.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Luis Dias

I never said it was a "big moneymaking" whatever. I was questioning the uploader's ethics and listing things I had witnessed. Welcome to my ignore list.

Thank ****, maybe now I can talk to someone who isn't a paranoid fanboy.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline kode

• The Swedish Chef
  • The Swede
    • http://theswe.de
I think the game will live up to my expectations.
Pray, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy.
- Ambrose Bierce
<Redfang> You're almost like Stryke 9 or an0n
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."
- Aldous Huxley
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
This is definitely a game I'm looking forward too. But I love exploration games.

Per Daymeun's videos. (Don't think I spelled his handle correctly.) He uploaded a new video yesterday that clarified a bunch of things and gave an honest review. Overall he says the game is worth it and what is truly telling is that he talks about how he's still playing it and still enjoying it even though he already made it to the center. He also goes over the method he used to get to the center so quickly and it really seems he didn't do much in the way of "trying to exploit all available content". But that's neither here nor there, because after reaching the center, he still plays the game... Which is arguably more the point of the game; to explore planets and solar systems.

For me, getting to the center is interesting and I'm a little curious as to what's there.. but what really gets me excited is when I'm watching the videos and they zoom out to the stars on the map. Usually in the videos it's Sean talking about how you can get to any of them or guys talking about the sheer number of planets in the game.. but all I'm doing is staring at one or two of them just wondering what's there. What will the planets be like? Watery? Volcanic? Desolate? What else can I find? Will there be giant fish/sharks? Small land animals? Harsh weather? I want to know!
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
I've been watching a stream for most of the day as I've been texturing... The game still looks like great fun.

The rumor why review codes haven't been sent it is due to a pending patch. But who knows. Game looks fun to me, but then I only discovered it like a few weeks ago. I haven't had years and years to get my expectations unobtainable high.

What I've seen of the game looks pretty cool, honestly, I just think Hello and Sony may not have had the best of intentions in letting the hype train hurtle out of control and revealing almost no information that might reign it in.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
What I've seen of the game looks pretty cool, honestly, I just think Hello and Sony may not have had the best of intentions in letting the hype train hurtle out of control and revealing almost no information that might reign it in.

No doubt... and the PC version of the game was just officially delayed from the 9th to the 12th, which kinda feels like a Sony decision.

Offline Luis Dias

The hype is really badly managed. Instead of advertizing a cool game with a very neat and novel concept, they let everyone hype it as the "big ****ing amazing game for all eternity" kind of ****, without anyone calming everyone down. It was utterly intentional, as it is obvious from the price tag, which is ridiculously high, for a game that should be seen squarely as being between "indie" and "AAA".

Instead we got lots of interviews of Sean Murray with the interviewers basically comparing him to Carmack or Einstein. That's totally not going to be counter productive at all.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Indeed. I see it as an exploration game. One that has few limits on how much you can explore. I don't expect the space combat to be better than ever. I certainly don't expect the story to be groundbreaking. Luckily, I rather enjoy games that are mostly about discovery and upgrades.

Offline MikeRoz

Sony have not distributed review copies.
This has actually been going back and forth for a while. Looks like the latest word is that there will be advance review copies, but on Monday.
Rave reviews of my previous posts:
"Wow.  Just wow.  Well, just about the whole post is devoid of reasonable technical merit and accuracy." -Enki
"Wow, he just wasted about an hour of his life." -MachManX
"There are 5 million things wrong with your post, of which many have already been pointed out..." -blackhole
"Grrr. Someone please monkey mike...He's causing more problems than he's solving" -terran_emperor
"You're not very bright, are you." - General Battuta

Offline MikeRoz

Please pardon the double post, but it looks like any conclusions drawn based on pre-release gameplay may be obsolete.
Rave reviews of my previous posts:
"Wow.  Just wow.  Well, just about the whole post is devoid of reasonable technical merit and accuracy." -Enki
"Wow, he just wasted about an hour of his life." -MachManX
"There are 5 million things wrong with your post, of which many have already been pointed out..." -blackhole
"Grrr. Someone please monkey mike...He's causing more problems than he's solving" -terran_emperor
"You're not very bright, are you." - General Battuta

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
That's really cool! I've been enjoying the hype train drama a lot, but I am excited to see what this game could be and if that patch isn't all hot air then this is really, really admirable support from the studio.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
It is pretty much exactly what I expected it would be:

To quote one of the comments: "I expected this game to be a pile of boring **** filled with pointless busywork and planet after planet of samey looking procedurally generated unfulfilling nonsense. Believe me when I say from the very bottom of my blackened little heart that I wished to be proven wrong more than anything. Just this once I wanted to have my nay saying face rubbed into it. My visage however looks to remain completely unblemished. And this makes me genuinely sad."

I honestly didn't understood the hype going into this game. There was no way it would ever deliver on 10% of it.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline kode

• The Swedish Chef
  • The Swede
    • http://theswe.de
I like the Simon Stålenhag cover art. Other than that, it seems to basically be Space Engineers but without the building things.
Pray, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy.
- Ambrose Bierce
<Redfang> You're almost like Stryke 9 or an0n
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."
- Aldous Huxley
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

It's very different from Space Engineers, that's for sure.