Author Topic: FS installer not completing - failed to download  (Read 7143 times)

FS installer not completing - failed to download
I've installed FS2 from GOG.
Downloaded the FSO installer and ran it and picked "Complete".

The first install took quite a while, but it fails on certain downloads.

Ran it again a few times and it always fails on the same files.

What's strange is that the downloads start then stop and then fail.

The following errors were encountered:

MV_Advanced: The file 'MV_Advanced.7z' could not be downloaded.
Derelict Voice Pack: The file 'Derelict_3_7_VA.7z' could not be downloaded.
MV_AnimGlows: The file 'MV_AnimGlows_3612.zip' could not be downloaded.
MV_Assets: The file 'MV_Assets_Update.zip' could not be downloaded.
MV_Assets: The file 'MV_Assets_3612.zip' could not be downloaded.
MV_Music: The file 'MV_Music_3612.zip' could not be downloaded.
MV_RadarIcons: The file 'MV_RadarIcons_3612.zip' could not be downloaded.
MV_Advanced: The file 'MV_Advanced_3612.zip' could not be downloaded.
HD Cutscenes by MjnMixael (720p): The file 'odeon_fs1_720.7z' could not be downloaded.
HD Main Halls by MjnMixael: The file 'mv_fsport-galatea-b.7z' could not be downloaded.
HD Main Halls by MjnMixael: The file 'mv_fsport-galatea-a.7z' could not be downloaded.
HD Cutscenes by MjnMixael (720p): The file 'odeon_fs1_720.7z' could not be downloaded.
Remixed Music by Dan Wentz: The file 'fsport-mediavps_music.7z' could not be downloaded.
Enhanced Graphics: The file 'bpc-advanced.7z' could not be downloaded.

I took a screenshot and attached it to this post. You can see that it's downloading but then it fails.

What do you need from me good sirs?

EDIT: I guess some system specs would be good.

Windows 7 Pro 64bit
Intel i3
4GB ram
Lots of space on HDD and Flash drive where the game is installed to.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Re: FS installer not completing - failed to download
Run it through again; it will try to get what it missed.  Probably a lot of traffic from the holidays.

I gave up after trying over 30 times. Maybe one day I'll come back to it.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
None of these files are important, why aren't you just playing and enjoying?

It could be nice if we had a way to explicitly flag downloads as optional, that way users would know not to worry if the installer fails to retrieve unimportant files.

Offline capricorn1971ad

• Banned
It really takes a LONG LONG time to get all the files, no matter when you do it.

It's been that way for months.

is it a matter of needing more mirrors on the mods?

I think it took me about (no joke) 300 times reloading the installer to get all the files, but i did get ALL of them.

Offline Mito [PL]

• Proud Member of Slavicus Mechanicus
Perhaps grab the missing files from their respective topics manually (MediaVPs, FSPort, Blue Planet), place them in proper directories and just don't care about the Installer since it's making such trouble?

MV_assets is not important?  :wtf:
How do you kill a hydra?

You starve it to death.

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• The Cthulhu programmer himself!
    • Twitter
MV_assets is not important?  :wtf:
From the 3.6.12 MediaVPs? No, it's not; none of the 3.6.12 MediaVPs are.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Codethulhu GitHub wgah'nagl fhtagn.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

When you gaze long into BMPMAN, BMPMAN also gazes into you.

"I am one of the best FREDders on Earth" -General Battuta

<Aesaar> literary criticism is vladimir putin

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> this ****ing code did it to me again
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME
<MageKing17> THE REASON IS PEOPLE ARE STUPID
<MageKing17> ESPECIALLY ME

<MageKing17> God damn, I do not understand how this is breaking.
<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
<MjnMixael> 2 hours later... "God damn, how did this ever work at all?!"
(...)
<MageKing17> so
<MageKing17> more than two hours
<MageKing17> but once again we have reached the inevitable conclusion
<MageKing17> How did this code ever work in the first place!?

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<IronWorks> I am useful for FSO stuff again. This is a red-letter day!
* z64555 erases "Thursday" and rewrites it in red ink

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
It really takes a LONG LONG time to get all the files, no matter when you do it.

I think it took me about (no joke) 300 times reloading the installer to get all the files, but i did get ALL of them.

More mirrors would definitely help.  Most of the files are being downloaded from the same host (FSMods), so I wouldn't be surprised if the host was using download throttling.

I wonder if I should remove the "download everything" option, since there is quite a lot more "everything" than there was in 2006.

Offline capricorn1971ad

• Banned

More mirrors would definitely help.  Most of the files are being downloaded from the same host (FSMods), so I wouldn't be surprised if the host was using download throttling.

I wonder if I should remove the "download everything" option, since there is quite a lot more "everything" than there was in 2006.

my full descent 3 freespace directory is about 33 gigs.
so yeah, it's pretty big.

I do have space through Ipage, dont know how they would react, i could probably get away with some of the ones that keep refusing.
would need some of the 7z files from before compression, i just did everything with the installer myself.
and to know how you need the directory structure.

I'll check back later.
after the new years.

Edit: It would be easier to just create a FTP account for you, I sent you (Goober5000) the informtion in PM.
it's paid for 35 months so your good on that, beyond that I can't promise.
their site says bandwidth is unrestricted and unlimited, so you can put up whatever you need.
besides, if your the guy doing the installer then you know exactly where you want everything, I'll leave that to you.

i stuck an index.htm with a hlp logo in there so you can see it is working:
http://itrollirl.com/fsospace/

just so you know the offer is good and serious, as well as ready whenever you are.

if you need more accounts for FTP just msg me, as well as any specifics (like starting directory, if you have multiple people sharing the load).
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 09:04:54 pm by capricorn1971ad »

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
The most ideal solution would be for the Installer to incorporate some sort of peer-to-peer/torrenting capabilities, so that the multitude of us who have the files can act as a backup source.  Goober, I think you said once that you'd looked into something like that and couldn't find anything that would work, right?  At the very least we could look into setting up a stand-alone community torrent tracker.

Offline capricorn1971ad

• Banned
The most ideal solution would be for the Installer to incorporate some sort of peer-to-peer/torrenting capabilities, so that the multitude of us who have the files can act as a backup source.  Goober, I think you said once that you'd looked into something like that and couldn't find anything that would work, right?  At the very least we could look into setting up a stand-alone community torrent tracker.

but to make something like that work right you would have to have separate torrents for each and every individual set of files.

would you be able to set it to download to the right folder?

I don't think you could actually pull that off with this type of thing though it would be good if you could, for the reason of having the files out there..
but no reason to reinvent the wheel.

each installation will be different, that's why the individual pieces would be required to accomplish that.
would be quite a bit more work than the java installer is really.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 10:50:54 pm by capricorn1971ad »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Goober, I think you said once that you'd looked into something like that and couldn't find anything that would work, right?

It's not that I couldn't find anything, it's that torrents are such a completely different way of handling mod organization and downloads that it would be like writing an entire new program.

Offline capricorn1971ad

• Banned
Goober, I think you said once that you'd looked into something like that and couldn't find anything that would work, right?

It's not that I couldn't find anything, it's that torrents are such a completely different way of handling mod organization and downloads that it would be like writing an entire new program.

hence the reinventing the wheel bit.

It just isn't a viable solution, it is actually ten times (at least) more work to make it work and then when it worked it would NOT work right.
If you tried to create a single install torrent with all the files in it like the installer is, if a single mod got updated, the entire thing would have to be reuploaded again.

FTP has been the way since the advent of Xmodem, what a glorious day that was, really, no joke.
and as slow as the hardware was back then.. (Analog)

i still have nightmares occasionaly.

I remember a time that the internet was private, and we spent our time demon dialing and collecting numbers to call back with a modem, looking for BBS's.

anyone remember how terrible windows terminal was?
I was always a Procomm Plus type. (Qualcomm)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 09:59:02 am by capricorn1971ad »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Wow, this guy is hard-core old-school. :yes:

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
If you tried to create a single install torrent with all the files in it like the installer is, if a single mod got updated, the entire thing would have to be reuploaded again.
...Right, which is why you'd never actually do that. Instead you'd probably keep the master lists and just replace file/archive links with, say, magnet links.

schrödinbug (noun) - a bug that manifests itself in running software after a programmer notices that the code should never have worked in the first place.

<MageKing17> "There's probably a reason the code is the way it is" is a very dangerous line of thought. :P
<MageKing17> Because the "reason" often turns out to be "nobody noticed it was wrong".
(the very next day)
<MageKing17> "That doesn't really make sense to me, but I'll assume it was being done for a reason."
<MageKing17> **** ME

<MageKing17> Everything points to "this should work fine", and yet it's clearly not working.
(...)
<MageKing17> so

<@The_E> Welcome to OpenGL, where standards compliance is optional, and error reporting inconsistent

<MageKing17> It was all working perfectly until I actually tried it on an actual mission.

<MageKing17> TIL the entire homing code is held up by shoestrings and duct tape, basically.

Offline capricorn1971ad

• Banned
...Right, which is why you'd never actually do that. Instead you'd probably keep the master lists and just replace file/archive links with, say, magnet links.

yes, but even then folder permissions will be a annoyance.
the installer is really impossible to beat out, but it could be divided into a base installer and a mod installer, might help some, other than that you have it about perfect already, no joke.

the next problem is going to be that FSMods screws up around 120 megs so anything over that isn't downloading right (I did manage to get one larger than that in but only 1 (the antagonist), better save what you can from it. If you have the original archives stashed away then you should consider reuploading them before it is too late.

I worked for Metricom years ago.

I was one of the people that helped make the internet go from analog to digital, because analog would show sonar disturbances off of the east coast when speeds above 53.6 were reached, this is why 56K modems actually ran at 53.6K, we were NEVER going faster than that on analog, but today.. little analog left.

you know, they found me on a fluke, their workers learning about the nets underbelly, i didn't know who i was teaching what, nor why, wasn't being paid for it.
I wasn't a malicious type, but i had a gift, so in time they hired me.

I was a non-conformist, still am.
I refused my shirt with a collar and continued to wear wifebeaters because they couldn't fire me actually, they didn't have anyone else that understood wifi back then.
I worked next to MCSE's with no certifications, was paid the least and did the most.
same old story, you know it already, you may live the same one yourself or something similar.
I refused to teach anyone what i knew on that subject alone and when they knew i never would they finally got rid of me and sent our jobs to india, then they offered me a job in India, at their rate of pay.. :|

I studied electronics under Ron Kelley (USN-USDOD), inventor of the guided missle system, whose control box ran off of TCP/IP, that was back in 1951. I was fortunate and had him as a "Voc-Tech" teacher in high school (Montgomery Co. MD), back in the 80's.

realistically the publics paid for all of this from start to finish, this means you.
knowing this, isn't it right just to throw space at small things like this to help?

I know everytime they ask you for space payments after your initial "paid through" date the price shoots up about 300%, that's why you register your domain outside of where you get your space and just move when your time runs out, keeping your domain name to yourself and updating it's dns.
we can all play their game, just think 1 step ahead.

and thanks for all the stuff you all have done with this title, I used to play it years ago when it first came out, and hadn't seen what you all have did with it till about a year ago, quite stunning really, fantastic work, really incredible.

you all should be doing a standalone project incorporating what you have gathered here, you all are that skilled.
it's a compliment but also a statement that i think you aren't living up to your full potentials.

when I was a young man, I had a friend named John Kovac, and his father (the 2nd, he was the 3rd) helped turn the processor into the microprocessor, he kept the largest MUDD in the world in his basement, great fun, wasn't even internet back then, people called in from all over the world to play, Ma Bell made a killing, John had fun. Actually John was a blast, he would get drunk on vodka and then want to pick up rapiers, and he was good with them, even drunk. He was a big hairy ass Cossack.

if the guys doing the new descent had any sense they would be hiring you all for the new version.
and how is the new descent going to affect FSOpen?

sorry if i am rambling, only had half a cup of coffee so far, need to increase the amount of Cannaboids in my lungs and straighten out my mind.

Yeah, old school, for my age, I am only 46 (well, will be on Jan 6th (Epiphany Day)).
hardcore, always was, grew up in the DC Hardcore scene (literally).
everyone thinks I am a hippie.. but I grew up in the punk generation, I just dress like this.. it doesn't mean nothing.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 11:44:43 am by capricorn1971ad »

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Torrent chunks are hash verified, if a chunk fails verification, then only that chunk gets re-downloaded.  So that would actually be able to download from FSMods quite well, if it were set up.

Offline Charismatic

• also known as Ephili
  • Pilot of the GTVA
    • EVO
I know this is a 30 day+ bump, but I ran the installer twice and these failed as well:

FreeSpace Open 3.7.4 Windows AVX: The file 'scptrackir.zip' could not be downloaded.
.OGG Cutscenes: The file 'fs2_ogg.zip' could not be downloaded.
FreeSpace Port Media VPs 2014: The file 'fsport-mediavps_2014.7z' could not be downloaded.
HD Cutscenes by MjnMixael (720p): Skipped because parent mod was not installed.
HD Main Halls by MjnMixael: Skipped because parent mod was not installed.
Remixed Music by Dan Wentz: Skipped because parent mod was not installed.

FreeSpace Open 3.7.4 Windows AVX: The file 'scptrackir.zip' could not be downloaded.
FreeSpace Port Media VPs 2014: The hash value for '2014_mv_fsport.vp' did not agree with the expected value.  This could indicate a corrupted download or a problem with the mod.  If this problem persists over multiple attempts, contact the mod author for assistance.  The file has been deleted.
HD Cutscenes by MjnMixael (720p): Skipped because parent mod was not installed.
HD Main Halls by MjnMixael: Skipped because parent mod was not installed.
Remixed Music by Dan Wentz: Skipped because parent mod was not installed.

Its been forever and I have honestly not played many mods/campaigns for FSO, but I want to. And I want to get it right. Anyone able to direct link me to the missing files? (And know where they go?)
At the least, I would like the Derelict Voice pack.

Last question because I did not find answer elsewhere; What main 3.7.4 pack do i need? Windows Standard is default, but AVX, SSE, No sse, and FreeBSD.
:::PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::
M E M O R I A L :: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,46987.msg957350.html#new

"IIRC Windows is not Microsoft."

"(CENSORED) Galatea send more than two (CENSORED) fighters to escort your (CENSORED) three mile long (CENSORED), STUPID (CENSORED).  (CENSORED) YOU, YOU (CENSORED)!!!"

Offline AdmiralRalwood

• Twitter
If you don't use TrackIR, don't worry about it.

.OGG Cutscenes: The file 'fs2_ogg.zip' could not be downloaded.
This is superfluous; FSO can read the original .MVE cutscenes just fine. Don't worry about it.

FreeSpace Port Media VPs 2014: The hash value for '2014_mv_fsport.vp' did not agree with the expected value.  This could indicate a corrupted download or a problem with the mod.  If this problem persists over multiple attempts, contact the mod author for assistance.  The file has been deleted.
Re-run the installer and let it try this one again; with luck, it was just a fluke corruption of that one download attempt and it will work if tried again. Alternatively, if you don't actually plan on playing FSPort with the MediaVPs... don't worry about it.

If you really want to download something manually to see if there's a problem with the installer's downloading attempts, this lists the status of the mirrors the installer uses, and you can expand them to get to the actual links it uses.

(the very next day)
<MageKing17> **** ME

(...)
<MageKing17> so